Author Topic: Linked Brake Fix? Follow up  (Read 44769 times)

Offline RandyN

Linked Brake Fix? Follow up
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »
I did my fix that  we discussed here. It is posted at this link in modifications section. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13655.0

I have tried for a month now to get used to the linked brakes on my 2011 Concours and still hate it. It's very abrupt when you are applying front brake and then some rear. It will suddenly grab more brake and dive, it also is very abrupt when you release the brakes. I also have a 2001 Honda Gold Wing and a 2006 FJR that both have linked brakes but are seamless in their application. I've ridden two other Concours 14's, a 2010 non ABS and a 2012 w/ ABS. Of course the non ABS felt normal but the 2012 with ABS had the same abrupt braking problem, although not as bad as mine. I've tried calling Kawasaki USA, and like the others have stated in forum comments, have been told by them that they aren't aware of the problem. I've been reading on the forums about how to disable the link without causing other problems and have come to the conclusion that if I just disconnect the rear brake lines going to the ABS motor and replace them with a line directly from the rear master cylinder to the caliper (from a 2010 non ABS) and plug the holes on the ABS motor it will be the fix I'm looking for. Of course I won't have ABS on the rear anymore but I can live with that.

Has anyone else tried this or are there any other fixes available? Does anyone see any problem with this fix other than the loss of ABS at the rear?

A Discussion on the problem.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11591.15

Found this one where someone else did it and was totally happy.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14463865&postcount=171
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:46:05 PM by RandyN »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Linked Brake Fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
The linked brakes haven't bothered me enough to look into it, but that simple solution you posted from the ADV forum is interesting indeed
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
Steve that's because you don't ride enough   ;) I mean you only got 75,000 on your 2010
I don't have any problem with them either.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
Steve that because you don't ride enough   ;) I mean you only got 75,000 on your 2010
I don't have any problem with them either.

:D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
Kawasaki is aware of the problem on some level.

Sounds like a good work around if you can live w/o ABS out back. Keep us posted.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline cltsig

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
I thought the abruptness was a break in issue on my '12 or I just didn't feel it on my '08.  Hopefully there's a software update or a hardware tweak to fix the feel - it's horribly abrupt!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
I thought the abruptness was a break in issue on my '12 or I just didn't feel it on my '08.  Hopefully there's a software update or a hardware tweak to fix the feel - it's horribly abrupt!

'08s don't have linked brakes.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
top~

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
Silverdammit RTW!!!

Offline cltsig

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

Exactly.  What I meant was when I felt my '12's brakes, it was either 1) that's normal C14 brakes and I'd forgotten how crappy they were from my '08 (false) or 2) break-in issue (false).  The reality is the linked brakes on my '12 just suck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
Although most everyone agrees there is a design flaw, not everyone cares as much, since it depends on how the bike is driven... The problems are only visible when the rear brakes are used (manually).  When using only the front brake [lever], there is no issue.

The idea of taking the rear brakes off ABS sounds a bit shocking, but it is probably not as horrible as it sounds when I first thought about it.   The rear brakes contribute don't contribute a lot to total braking, but I would be concerned that if one was going to use them manually and defeated ABS on them, it would be a pretty big negative.  So now I am not sure what to think about this idea but it makes for a good thread......
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline u92

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
I have tried for a month now to get used to the linked brakes on my 2011 Concours and still hate it. It's very abrupt when you are applying front brake and then some rear. It will suddenly grab more brake and dive, it also is very abrupt when you release the brakes.

By your description it sounds like the ABS system might be thinking you are using too much rear brake and trying to transfer more of the braking effort to the front for you. I was thinking the linked brake system was designed to allow riders to use the rear brake pedal only if they wanted and divide the braking force appropriately between the front and rear for the rider.

Is there a "sport" setting for the linked brakes that reduces the effect?

2009 C14

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:50:13 PM »
It would probably be possible to swap in an 08 or 09 abs module....well, no, then You'd lose the traction control.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline u92

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
The idea of taking the rear brakes off ABS sounds a bit shocking, but it is probably not as horrible as it sounds when I first thought about it.   The rear brakes contribute don't contribute a lot to total braking, but I would be concerned that if one was going to use them manually and defeated ABS on them, it would be a pretty big negative.  So now I am not sure what to think about this idea but it makes for a good thread......

I have a non ABS and used to use the rear brakes lightly but still use them while stopping. I learned the hard way on my first panic stop that on dry pavement when you are using all the front brake you can the rear brake is useless. I ended up stopping well short but locking the back tire even for that second took my focus off the front. Now I don't touch the rear brake until I am slowed to parking lot speeds. Of course on wet pavement when the amount of front brake that can be used is limited I would use the rear too if needed.
2009 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 06:10:03 PM »
Is there a "sport" setting for the linked brakes that reduces the effect?

VERY good mention.  The answer is "yes".

I assumed the original poster knew it was adjustable and had already selected the "lesser" of the two linking mode.  But should have been the first thing we asked...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »

Nor the 09's, I'm very happy with my brakes.  :)

Offline RandyN

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
I could have mentioned in my first post that I had already pulled the fuse for the ABS motor and found the brakes to be fine and the problem of the abruptness was gone. Although the warning was flashing on the screen constantly. I've since put it back in. Also should have said that it is noticeable when applying only front brakes. If I pull the front brakes and progressively squeeze harder I will feel a sudden change and the bike will dive and brake harder suddenly. As if a pop-off valve opens and give more pressure to the brakes.  It's no where near as pronounced as when I use the back after applying front, but it's still there. I have tried both ABS modes and haven't noticed a difference with the problem.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
No dog in this fight but I am looking forward to how things work out.  I'll be keeping my non ABS '08 till she's dead (or I find a sweatheart deal on a KTM350EXC!).

Offline pistole

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
I could have mentioned in my first post that I had already pulled the fuse for the ABS motor and found the brakes to be fine and the problem of the abruptness was gone. Although the warning was flashing on the screen constantly. I've since put it back in. Also should have said that it is noticeable when applying only front brakes. If I pull the front brakes and progressively squeeze harder I will feel a sudden change and the bike will dive and brake harder suddenly. As if a pop-off valve opens and give more pressure to the brakes.  It's no where near as pronounced as when I use the back after applying front, but it's still there. I have tried both ABS modes and haven't noticed a difference with the problem.

- your description of your front brake use indicates a problem somewhere.

- C14 owners don't seem to have any complaints about the brake when they use the front brake lever (which actuates both front calipers and rear together) ,

- but opinions vary on the use of the rear brake pedal (which initially actuates the rear caliper and then with more pressure , the right front caliper together).

- if you use both the brake lever + pedal at the same time , you will feel a flutter at the lever/pedal as the linking systems goes a bit bananas.

- imho , whatever it is , maybe unlearn using the brake pedal and learn to use the front lever for braking.

Offline cltsig

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

- imho , whatever it is , maybe unlearn using the brake pedal and learn to use the front lever for braking.

Hard to unlearn 20-something years of using both.  We shouldn't have to.  I hear the Ninja 1000 ABS isn't linked....