Author Topic: Linked Brake Fix? Follow up  (Read 44788 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Linked Brake Fix?
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:39 AM »
Very good read , much too logical thou. ::)

I like logical
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:53 AM »
Sounds like a lot of you guys need to look up "the pace" and ride accordingly. There is no reason "on the street" to ride faster in the straights than you do in the curves.  In some states 20 over is an automatic license suspension.  Since most of you can take the curves at 20 over, how much over are you going in the straights?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/
Because I want to.
Are you a cop?
All in good fun, TWA.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
Audie Murphy didn't win the Medal of Honor by following orders!!
Ninjawarrior

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »

Mom, is that you?

Be honest here. When was the last time you said, "You damn kids get offa my lawn!"?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Cuda

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
I'm fenced in,   gated and cameras 2.5 acres,   I just shoot  ;D
I see you guys talk about the dragon and such , WAY too many driveways and TREES for me.
I've been racing boats since 1979 but I don't going racing around the local water ways.
Yeah I like wot from a light might hit 10+ over limit but then drop it down to 5over  unless on the interstate . I have a class A CDL and twelve work trucks,  I pay way too much in insurance with   employees  that have clean licences and have to fire those that get major infractions, can't fire my self ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »
Because I want to.
Are you a cop?
All in good fun, TWA.

I've met a lot of cops and taken a lot of defensive driving classes.  If my license gets suspended I can't do my job.  Anyone can go fast in a straight line.  What fun is that?  I try to keep it at 15 over these days.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »
Mom, is that you?

Be honest here. When was the last time you said, "You damn kids get offa my lawn!"?

Like Cuda, My 5 acres are surrounded by electric fence and locked gate.  There are no kids near my lawn unless invited.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline northsouth

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »
Sounds like a lot of you guys need to look up "the pace" and ride accordingly.  There is no reason "on the street" to ride faster in the straights than you do in the curves.  In some states 20 over is an automatic license suspension.  Since most of you can take the curves at 20 over, how much over are you going in the straights?

I, like a lot of us here have read and are very familiar with "The Pace." A very sensible read. However, after riding, wrenching on and racing numerous motorcycles over the past 35 years, I have decided that I like to have total control over a machine that is carrying my being, and really don't appreciate a poorly designed system surprising me with abnormal braking inputs and screwing up my experience. Had this system been designed to operate behind the scenes the way it was intended, I would love it and keep it. I really don't give a brown piece of poo about anyone else's opinion of how they think the rest of the riding population should behave. I'd be willing to bet that we have all broken the "Law" and just maybe have gone faster than the posted speed limit at some point or another. Jeez.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
I, like a lot of us here have read and are very familiar with "The Pace." A very sensible read. However, after riding, wrenching on and racing numerous motorcycles over the past 35 years, I have decided that I like to have total control over a machine that is carrying my being, and really don't appreciate a poorly designed system surprising me with abnormal braking inputs and screwing up my experience. Had this system been designed to operate behind the scenes the way it was intended, I would love it and keep it. I really don't give a brown piece of poo about anyone else's opinion of how they think the rest of the riding population should behave. I'd be willing to bet that we have all broken the "Law" and just maybe have gone faster than the posted speed limit at some point or another. Jeez.

Thank you for saying that. Amazing how this thread got of topic. It should be a week or two until I try my possible fix. I will post here and on COG online about my findings. I'll try to take some photos also.

Thanks to whoever posted the link to "The Pace" . Very good article.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2013, 03:37:16 AM »
Thank you for saying that. Amazing how this thread got of topic. It should be a week or two until I try my possible fix. I will post here and on COG online about my findings. I'll try to take some photos also.

Thanks to whoever posted the link to "The Pace" . Very good article.
What's amazing is that it stayed on topic as long as it has.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2013, 04:48:27 AM »
. I'd be willing to bet that we have all broken the "Law" and just maybe have gone faster than the posted speed limit at some point or another. Jeez.

I never said don't go faster than the speed limit.  I'm saying that if you take 45 mph curves at 65 mph, why do you need to go faster than that on the straights on a public road.  It just gives motorcyclists a bad rap and adds to the statistics.  This is a "sport touring" bike isn't it?
My Concours Travels:

Offline northsouth

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
I never said don't go faster than the speed limit.  I'm saying that if you take 45 mph curves at 65 mph, why do you need to go faster than that on the straights on a public road.
 I don't need to, but I do like to from time to time.

It just gives motorcyclists a bad rap and adds to the statistics.  This is a "sport touring" bike isn't it?
For some. Depends on the mood. Depends on the day.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
I never said don't go faster than the speed limit.  I'm saying that if you take 45 mph curves at 65 mph, why do you need to go faster than that on the straights on a public road.  It just gives motorcyclists a bad rap and adds to the statistics.  This is a "sport touring" bike isn't it?

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »

Is that your four wheeler PlaynInPeoria?  No wonder you feel the need to take out your frustration on the Concours.  LOL!

I'm glad I live where I don't have to own a cage.
My Concours Travels:

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
I have a pickup for taking the dogs to the park.  It's hard to on the C14, but I am sure the dogs would love it. I think one of my dogs pulled a hamstring because I took the Dr650 to the park 2 blocks down the street and he's limping big time today. I have a Honda Civic (gray couple with tinted windows) for 40 mpg road trips. 

Where do you live that you don't need a car?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »

Where do you live that you don't need a car?

Middle Tennessee.
My Concours Travels:

Offline RandyN

Linked Brake Fixed?
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »
I've posted my fix on the modifications section. I think I was successful. Check it out. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13655.new#new

Copied from other post. Photos are at that post.

I have accomplished what I set out to do, which is to eliminate the rear link to the front and the ABS system. The first thing I tried was to plug the holes on the ABS block and replace the rear line with a straight line from Galfer, see "block plugged" photo. After a test ride of hard braking and trying to engage the ABS on the front tire, the "ABS Error!" flashed on the display. I think what happens in that situation is the computer can sense that no fluid pressure is being allowed to go out of the ABS block to the rear brakes. Next I reattached some of the rear brake lines and then put my bleeder plugs into those lines, see "hoses plugged" photo. I attached clear hoses to those bleeder fittings and flushed the lines with a vacuum pump. I'm not sure if I got all the air out or not but the brakes feel fine.

I then test rode it again and everything works as expected. ABS on the front works perfectly. Under sudden braking at about 40mph I felt the ABS trigger and pulsate down to a stop. No more sudden braking and diving unexpectedly when applying front and rear together. The brakes feel perfect to me know. I then found some wet pavement (didn't want to ruin new tires on dry pavement) and locked up the rear several times to make sure that it wouldn't trigger an "Error" on the display. No problem. I think it is my solution.

The plugs that I used, see "bleeder plug" photo, were obtained from Galfer when I bought my rear Stainless line. The plugs needed to have a slight bevel machined into it to look like the original flare fitting to mate and seal properly, see "Flare fitting" photo. All we did was put it on a lathe and machine it with a 90 degree drill bit so that the plug had a 45 degree edge on it. It might be accomplished by putting it in a vise and using a drill bit of your own to make the concave surface. The material is chrome plated brass and I don't think it needs to be a perfect fit. It will deform to fit and seal on its own most likely. Just don't make the bevel too deep. You don't want the plug to bottom out before hitting the cone first where it will seal.

After having done it all I have realized that I could have left the original lines in place, disconnected them at the spot under the tank, plugged them as I did and bought one more flexible line like one of the ones in the photo "Hoses plugged". I would then loop it to connect the rear master cylinder to the caliper using the existing lines that were left in place but had been disconnected from the flexible ones in the photo.