Author Topic: Linked Brake Fix? Follow up  (Read 44835 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Linked Brake Fix?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »
- your description of your front brake use indicates a problem somewhere.

- C14 owners don't seem to have any complaints about the brake when they use the front brake lever (which actuates both front calipers and rear together)

I have to agree.  Perhaps something is not right on his.  I have never felt what he is describing, when using the front brakes..... and I have not heard anyone else describe that either... only when using the rear brake or attempting to use both- and in those conditions, the two modes should feel different.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »
I too have no dog in the fight, I'm on an '09, but I'm curious.   ???

Does this linked braking cause its problem at walking speeds?

Those are the speeds I'm using the rear most effectively and the front the least.

Keeps the suspension from pitching excessively = stability  ;)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:27 PM »
Does this linked braking cause its problem at walking speeds?   Those are the speeds I'm using the rear most effectively and the front the least. Keeps the suspension from pitching excessively = stability  ;)

No, because the linking doesn't take effect at parking lot speeds, from what I remember reading on this forum.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »
10-4, maxtog! 

Maybe I've missed it.  ::)

At what speeds are these issues occurring?
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »
Interesting MODIFICATION even if its in the wrong forum from what I've been told.  ;)

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
Maybe one needs to learn finesse while braking. I have no issues on my 10 but if I become aggressive on the brakes of course to front will dive.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »
No, because the linking doesn't take effect at parking lot speeds, from what I remember reading on this forum.

At speeds less than 12 mph, the brakes are unlinked.

I do feel that Mama Kaw has the wrong pop-off valve, orifice, port size or whatever they are using in the ABS module to regulate the pressure between the front and rear.

Quote from: RandyN
I've been reading on the forums about how to disable the link without causing other problems and have come to the conclusion that if I just disconnect the rear brake lines going to the ABS motor and replace them with a line directly from the rear master cylinder to the caliper (from a 2010 non ABS) and plug the holes on the ABS motor it will be the fix I'm looking for. Of course I won't have ABS on the rear anymore but I can live with that.

There are five lines connecting to the ABS module.

1-front brake master cylinder to ABS
2-rear master cylinder to ABS
3-front brake feed from ABS
4-rear brake feed from ABS
5-front to rear feed which is the "Link")

I was thinking that if you'd remove/plug the front to rear feed line ("Link") and tied that port of the ABS module to the rear feel, you would un-link the breaks and still have ABS at both wheels. Now this was just a thought.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 04:03:00 AM »
Hard to unlearn 20-something years of using both.  We shouldn't have to.  I hear the Ninja 1000 ABS isn't linked....

+1 - The linked brakes on my VFR are seemless unlike my 12 C-14, however I have found that if I apply the front brakes first and then the rear, the negative effects are greatly reduced.  For a hard stop, I ignore the rear pedal.

Ninja 1G is very tempting, but doesn't have the weather protection or the shaft drive of the Connie which were very important to me

Offline Cuda

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:52 AM »
It would be NICE if Kaw had a 1,000 version of the Concours around 500lb with a lower seat , I'm 5'11" with shorter legs than most and I feel like I must wear my boots , incase I stop on stones or other soft, loose surface , 0-3mph is my only issue with the big girl , (I always liked smaller girls)
If I was to get a sport bike again it would be the 1000. I'll be 59 soon and I'm planning on riding the rest of my life , with all the baby boomers comming to retirement age It is something they need to think about.
 I'll NEVER buy a Gold Wing I don't two up , I sport ride. 
Lighter is better :)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 05:34:22 AM »
C10?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
If I remember correctly disconnecting or disabling the ABS won't affect the traction control because that is controlled by the ECU and secondary throttle plates.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
If I remember correctly disconnecting or disabling the ABS won't affect the traction control because that is controlled by the ECU and secondary throttle plates [butterflies].

Through the ECU controlling the secondary butterflies and ignition timing control.  I believe you are correct, yes.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »

- imho , whatever it is , maybe unlearn using the brake pedal and learn to use the front lever for braking.

This is horrible advice for a motorcycle rider.  You should *always* be using the front brake lever and rear brake pedal together for stopping.  Linked brakes or not...  This is proper riding technique for maximum braking in any stopping situation.  (including just stopping at the local 4-way stop...)  The only exception would be for "specialized" riding...as in trail braking on track day....

Keeping my '08 ABS unless some new huge feature comes to a new model C14.  Hopefully they will listen to their customers and add a "disable linked brakes" feature along with the two other modes....

Aaron

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
This is horrible advice for a motorcycle rider.  You should *always* be using the front brake lever and rear brake pedal together for stopping.  Linked brakes or not...  This is proper riding technique for maximum braking in any stopping situation.  (including just stopping at the local 4-way stop...)  The only exception would be for "specialized" riding...as in trail braking on track day....

Keeping my '08 ABS unless some new huge feature comes to a new model C14.  Hopefully they will listen to their customers and add a "disable linked brakes" feature along with the two other modes....

Aaron

+1!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
I have a 2012 and am an aggressive rider. Why not, it's a sport touring bike with 160 hp? The linked brakes throw me a curve when I brake in a corner.  I am used to trailbraking and it totally upsets the bike when braking in a corner.  No problems on the FZ1 or even the big heavy C10.   Very much interested in a solution, would love to simply disable them!!

Can someone please explain the difference betweeen the 2 modes?  I read the manual and it just confused me.  Also, if there was a combination of mode or brake application order that would alleviate this issue, I'd be all over it.  I will be hitting Arkansas in 3 weeks and I have no desire to ride a bike that seems to work against me.

Is this issue the same between the various years with linked brakes?  I know the OP has a 2011, I have a 2012 but my issue could be different due to a software or hardware rev. I hate the brakes on this thing. Powerful but have a 'vibratey' feel to them.  I have wanted to ride somebody else's bike (brother has the same bike, a friend has a 2011, another friend has a 2010) to see if the issue is the same on all years.

Thanks
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
You guys are killing me.  I'd run track days on my C14 with linked brakes.

I've railed the mountains of colorado on it and there weren't any guard rails with quite the ways down.I was comfortable. Slayed the Dragon in TN/NC infinite times on the linked brakes.

I don;t expect the suspension, slipper clutch, nor the brakes to handle and perform like my track bikes have. But they're manageable on these big behemoth bikes   ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
You guys are killing me.  I'd run track days on my C14 with linked brakes.

I've railed the mountains of colorado on it and there weren't any guard rails with quite the ways down.I was comfortable. Slayed the Dragon in TN/NC infinite times on the linked brakes.

I don;t expect the suspension, slipper clutch, nor the brakes to handle and perform like my track bikes have. But they're manageable on these big behemoth bikes   ;D

But... what's the point of linked brakes anyway? Why even put them on the bike? One reason I hate them is in tight maneuvers at parking lot speeds, you can use a little rear brake when at full lock, but if you hit the front brake at full lock at very low speeds, it can cause problems. I just don't see the need for linked brakes, except for those who do not brake properly in the first place.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
Maybe I need to do a Vulcan mind meld with Steve, but there's a lot of people complaining and and only one person saying "Yay!"

Maybe Steve is just way more awesome than me. Dunno. All I know is that I hate them and I think it's a high tech solution that had no problem to begin with.  I trail brake with the front only. Also, when sport riding I only use the front. No can do with this bike.

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline pistole

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
This is horrible advice for a motorcycle rider.  You should *always* be using the front brake lever and rear brake pedal together for stopping.  Linked brakes or not...

- on a linked C14 , using the front brake lever actuates the rear brake too ... automatically. You can squeeze as hard as you want and not lock either the front or the rear when you have abs.

- the "use both brakes" lesson went out , imho , with linking systems & ABS.

- you are of course entitled to do whatever you like since its your bike and your ride.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
- on a linked C14 , using the front brake lever actuates the rear brake too ... automatically. You can squeeze as hard as you want and not lock either the front or the rear when you have abs.

- the "use both brakes" lesson went out , imho , with linking systems & ABS.

- you are of course entitled to do whatever you like since its your bike and your ride.

Train yourself as if you do not have the technology and be happy it is there when you need it.  Murphy's Law is always out there waiting to pounce. If it pounces when you are on a motorcycle, you had better have the best practices in use to save your neck!

Aaron