Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66290 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Weird thing about my new Pirelli Angel GTs.  I got 190-55-17 for the rear, not A spec as they weren't available.  If I get 9k out of the set, I'll be doing backflips, I got 4600 out of stock BT-021's.  But on a 700 mile weekend trip (Rockerbox in Milwaukee and Wisconsin MotoGuzzi rally http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpsmith58/sets/72157634937447740/) that was about 85% backroads and at a fun pace and also fully loaded, I was initially chasing the front end all over the place and running wide, it was scaring me a bit.  Bear in mind, I have at least 500 miles on this new set and haven't noticed the issue. Perhaps I hadn't noticed but I lean a lot and hammer it out of corners on a daily basis, thats why I bought it (see above tire wear on stock tires).

So despite the fact I had a lot of extra weight on (dry bag FULL of old heavy sleeping bag and tent, bag lawn chair etc, both side bags full to the brim, no top trunk and no tank bag, me 200 lbs nekkid but fully geared), I BACKED way off the rear preload (maybe 5 or 6 clicks, I should have counted but didn't) and the bike transformed, I rode the wheels off it hard and had a blast, no problems whatsoever.

I do know that normally, when you add a ton of weight to the rear (passenger etc), you ADD preload, but I took it off and it made the bike back into the same trustworthy ready to rock beast it had been before. I don't really have an explanation. All I know is that I was able to enjoy my trip!  So fun riding a handling and HP overdog.  2 friends had BMW boxer twins, one on an HD bagger, no problems keeping up, cough, cough.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline theAmazingKickstand

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll go with a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. Between two websites they are on super sale and I've had good mileage with them on my fun bike. I currently have PR3's from the previous owner and am not impressed with the mileage.
I commute thunderstorm or shine.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:56:47 PM by theAmazingKickstand »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:00:47 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll go with a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts.

:banghead:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 03:26:12 AM »
I think that Poke had good luck with those tires.  Supposedly good in the rain.  Didn't even think about those as they weren't on my radar.  It's just not a tire we talk about much here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:21 AM »
I got 4k out of a set on my old Bandit.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll go with a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. Between two websites they are on super sale and I've had good mileage with them on my fun bike. I currently have PR3's from the previous owner and am not impressed with the mileage.
I commute thunderstorm or shine.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »
haha I already ordered them. What's wrong with Roadsmart'?

Offline PH14

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
haha I already ordered them. What's wrong with Roadsmart'?

I think people are reacting the way they are to your choice because you asked about tires, people answered with many good choices, and then you threw a curveball by ordering a tire no one mentioned.   :D Let us know how you like them. I haven't heard much about them actually, although I have not liked any Dunlop tire I have owned in the past, both on my old Goldwing, a ZX1000R and an RC51. I always seemed to go back to Michelin. I never bought any of the Dunlops, they came with the bikes I bought and I couldn't wait to get them off the bike.

Here is a write up about the Dunlop Roadsmart, they got a favorable review in this one. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/102/Motorcycle-Article/Dunlop-Roadsmart-Tires-Review.aspx

Offline katata1100

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:08 PM »
The PR3's aren't cheap, my wife was a little p.o.ed when she saw the bill but I told her that it was still cheaper than my hospital copay.
That shut her up.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
I put a set of roadsmarts on this first tire change I have about 2,000 miles on them right now and about 1500 of that was two up and fully loaded they seem to be doing pretty well I was going to go with the Michelin pr3 but they had a sale on the Dunlops that I couldn't pass up

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
I chose the Shinko Verge 011. A set for $206.00 delivered. After about 3.5K miles. They still look good and handle quite well, rain or shine.  How long they'll last? A good qustion. I'll let the forum know when the wear out. Yes, Pokey. I'm still running the tire pressure at
42 PSI  Fore & Aft.  ;D

More as thngs develop.

Jack
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
I've got Roadsmarts on a torquy Buell that see's more time on one wheel than two. Longevity is impressive. This was my everyday commute bike so I had to get tires for rain. (I had fancy track tires on before and it was just horrifying going over 65mph in a downpour.)
They stick to the road more than well enough for my street use.

The Roadsmarts do feel a bit more "wooden" and lack the supple feedback and confidence of a fancy tire but I can still scrape pegs with no drama......maybe I just got a dried out set.
Ha, I've wanted to try the Shinko's but everytime I manage to find a normal brand's set for about $200.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
I went to the local dealer yesterday to start pricing out tires (currently have PR2's on her and the front is getting real low) and the PR3's were going to be $420 installed out the door. They have some package deals for Bridgestone BT-023's for $325 installed out the door.

I don't know anything about the BT-023's except that she said they were a high mileage tire. I can ride aggressive at times and have my chicken strips at about 1/4" wide. Would I be risking it if I went to the BT-023 tires? I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it unexpectedly and most of my riding is commuting and weekend trips with the wife with the once-a-year multi-day trip with the buddies.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Cuda

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
I never used them but some police dept's use them , and I've heard good reports, sounds like a great deal.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »
............I don't know anything about the BT-023's except that she said they were a high mileage tire. I can ride aggressive at times and have my chicken strips at about 1/4" wide. Would I be risking it if I went to the BT-023 tires? I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it unexpectedly and most of my riding is commuting and weekend trips with the wife with the once-a-year multi-day trip with the buddies.

i have run several sets of the 023 gt tires and have been very pleased with them, and i don't corner easy on this thing. not a throttle junkey but enjoy the twisties. i would have no hesitation running them again or recommending them. they are NOT the 021 tires. they have performed very well and very predictable.  Rain, yeah no problems, still ride the twisties and don't tip toe with it, just knock it down a few notches and they work great.

i have run the pr2, pr3, 023 and now on the angel gt. my experience with tires, fronts last me say 6-8k and a rear 4-5k miles. bike purchased new, now has almost 58k in three years. thats a huge stack of tires!! (my pr3 tires lasted about 4k miles)

the set of 55 023gt can be found for low 200's

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
Thanks for the input JS!

I noticed where you said 023 GT and I didn't know there was a difference. I looked on the website and it says the GT is for heavier weight bikes (like ours). Before pulling the trigger I will see if they can do the GT for the same price, since I don't believe these are the GT that they had on sale.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
You guys are rough on tires- I would be very pissed if my tires were shot at 4-5,000 miles. From my experience, I can get 18-20,000 miles from a front PR2 and 15-17,000 on a rear PR2. I keep 'em at 42 p.s.i. and do mostly secondary roads and canyon sweepers for fun. These Michelins are the best tires I have ever bought, no contest.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
This is my front PR2 after almost 11,000 miles:

It needs to go.

And the rear looks like this after 9,000:

The rear actually has lots of life left, but has some cupping on the tread. I might just leave the back alone and get a new front PR2. I have a 1400 mile 5-day trip coming up in Sept and I want to be ready for it.
Scott

Offline Cuda

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
i have run several sets of the 023 gt tires and have been very pleased with them, and i don't corner easy on this thing. not a throttle junkey but enjoy the twisties. i would have no hesitation running them again or recommending them. they are NOT the 021 tires. they have performed very well and very predictable.  Rain, yeah no problems, still ride the twisties and don't tip toe with it, just knock it down a few notches and they work great.

i have run the pr2, pr3, 023 and now on the angel gt. my experience with tires, fronts last me say 6-8k and a rear 4-5k miles. bike purchased new, now has almost 58k in three years. thats a huge stack of tires!! (my pr3 tires lasted about 4k miles)

the set of 55 023gt can be found for low 200's

What kind of roads do you drive on to wear out tires soooo fast?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
Hint, it's not the roads, it's the heavy throttle and brake application.