Author Topic: top speed  (Read 82583 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: top speed
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Hey I read that!

You must be an anomaly, aberration, er exception to the rule.  Only Neutron Silver bike owners can read.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomkioti

• Live life like you stole it.
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »
When I read the warning it says passenger or cargo. I didn't see anything about the saddle bags. Am I wrong? 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »
When I read the warning it says passenger or cargo. I didn't see anything about the saddle bags. Am I wrong?

That's what I saw too.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:52 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that the side bags (can't speak to the Kawi top case) were designed to be used at any speed and in fact were a stabilizing mechanism.  I find it difficult to believe that with a bike of this calibre that the side cases would have to be removed to travel over 80mph.  In fact, that is totally ridiculous.  I went through my 08 manual last night and only found that you shouldn't be carrying passengers or heavy loads above 80mph.  If I were crazy enough to exceed 80mph with my wife on board, the self governor (slap to the helmet), would kick in immediately.  On my trip last week out to Ohio last week I was regularly exceeding that speed on the interstates and it felt solid as a rock.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
I've only hit 110 or so on the bike with the bags off and it didn't seem any different than with the bags on at that speed. The bike felt just as stable as with them on. Maybe another 40 mph would make a difference. I'll have to try it out sometime.

Offline dw4402

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
I had posted previously regarding this very topic but realize it was on the site that mysteriously crashed, so here goes. I have an 08 in the fastest color. Mods are, full 2008 ZX14 exhaust with collector cats removed, K&N filter, PCIII USB with Dynojet tune, flies removed. I have the Kawasaki larger windshield and I'm running PR2's. Fully clothed I weigh in at an impressive 262lbs  ;).
Prior to mods best I got top speed was 156 with bags on, verified by Garmin zumo 550, which itself has been compared to radar readings from the po po.  I had the bags on and forget about 6th gear had to run through 5th, she actually slowed down in 6th. She had a little more to go, maybe a mile per hour or two but started to run out of room.
Since the mods she's seen 164, again verified by the Garmin and with the bags on. She still had another mile per hour or two but I was satisfied. She was very stable each time. I will do a bagless run to see the difference.
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
I'm going to wait until it snows to read my owners manual.  Its fun to discover the features and benefits of the bike firsthand.  My 08 felt really good with loaded bags and a passenger at above quite  a bit above 80. Maybe thats due to the silver color?

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
Now you have done it dw4402!  Since you have proof of going 164mph, someone here is going top that... >:(
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline dw4402

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
Dont' worry Irule, I'm gonna top it myself!  ;)
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
Black connie owners are about a 1/2 step above Harley owners.....

Neutron is classy...black is to Neutron like cigars are to a pipe.

:stirpot:

;D

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »
I think the saying for us is, Once you go Black, no one will take you back. Have to throw my 2 pennies in. I had my Silver '08 between 165-170 with a little more to go. I had the bags full heading to Fl on south 75 in Ga. I have the Area-P slip-on, flies removed, PC III and in sixth gear. I am looking to get a little more now that I removed the cats. I have a JC Whitless trunk but only had it a little over 100 with that on but, it does feel stable with everything on at that speed.

Offline Maverick

• I rode below sea level...and survived
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that the side bags (can't speak to the Kawi top case) were designed to be used at any speed and in fact were a stabilizing mechanism.  I find it difficult to believe that with a bike of this calibre that the side cases would have to be removed to travel over 80mph.  In fact, that is totally ridiculous.  I went through my 08 manual last night and only found that you shouldn't be carrying passengers or heavy loads above 80mph.  If I were crazy enough to exceed 80mph with my wife on board, the self governor (slap to the helmet), would kick in immediately.  On my trip last week out to Ohio last week I was regularly exceeding that speed on the interstates and it felt solid as a rock.

You are right, bike was designed with the bags for high speed, I have done several runs with no bags at high speed and bike is less stable, guaranteed...
Also to confirm an earlier poster, I did a 140mph run with my wife behind with my new Michelin PR3 and it does not move, the stability is incredible with these tires. I have pushed the bike to 150mph GPS, but it was not full throttle I had a bit left... I ll head to Germany soon to push it all the way then report about it.
GTR Club Europe Member # 388
1400 GTR 2008

Offline Tim

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
So 130 with a passenger and bags was a bad thing?

It's nice to know I am not alone.  :P
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
Today, 140, 4th gear........ and I liked it  ;D ;D ;D
I will be 57 on the 29th of this month, sometimes I think there's something wrong with me  8)

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
Per my GPS, 133, but it was still pulling pretty hard when I saw a white car coming in the distance. Better safe than sorry!

What is the top speed on the C14? I seem to remember reading that it was around 155 mph.

Offline old n rusty

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 10:38:50 PM »
This summer, on my 'Guhl flashed' 2012, shifted out of 4th gear at 155, continued accelerating, but stopped watching the speedo. Ill be 62 in 4 months. Nothing wrong with you, Rocket.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
166 mph according to my gps. Bone stock except for the windshield, a Givi which is slightly larger than the OEM. There was a bit more left, but the progress becomes embarrasingly slow above 160...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:16:41 PM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »
When I first changed to PR2's with a 50 series rear tire and put on the CS-One, I finally had the confidence to let 'er rip to 170 indicated on GPS in 5th gear outside of Hemet, Ca.. A little disconcerting was the Gen II windshield when it was furiously flapping around. After a return run in the opposite direction, I couldn't muster over 165, so there must have been a wind factor also. This year with a 55 series rear tire outside of Searchlight, Nevada, the bike wouldn't pull past 165 in 5th, so I imagine this is pretty much the limits. It gets to 140 in 4th very quickly though, and this engine sings a beautiful opera at 10 grand. 

Offline Rocket Therapy

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 04:15:21 AM »
Racer Boy.
Smart move, on coming traffic is no fun

Old n Rusty
thumbs up to you,  do think I figured out what is wrong with me , thay is too many Isle of Man tubes on my 60 inch screen with surround sound...where's the popcorn. lol

Martin_14
mine is bone stock also but I had the rear trunk off. i tell the guys the same thing I used to tell them when I would blow them off with my Triumph Rocket 3, not bad for an old bagger huh?

Connie 14boy
I think you have the same bike as I do 2012 candy red I also been running the PR 2's, my is still bone stocks ready for some duels with a zx14 header and you are right  still pulling strong at 140 and oh my what a song song she sings

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:05 AM »
bone stock per the speedo 160ish, not sure how far off the factory speedo is. Honestly I think for me that's fast enough as there really isn't anywhere around that is closed course ....im only 46 but still start having all those thoughts about having an accident at those speeds.