Author Topic: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT  (Read 53507 times)

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »
Guys,

I just read the Cycleworld comparison of the new K1600Gt and the Concours 14 and here are my observations from what read:

The K1600Gt from what I can tell from the pictures in the mag and online is beautifully / well designed.
I am sure the K1600Gt is an awesome machine but is cost more than 9K more than a new Concours14.
Looking at the 1/4 mile and several roll on comparisons the C14 wins them all "barley"  including top end.
The writer said that the C14 is prone to drag parts in the corners, I have never experienced that in 40K mikes and I ride aggressively.
The writer did say the C14 handles the twisties better though, which contradicts the previous line.

Anyone have any idea what a valve adjustment would cost on the K1600GT, very costly I am sure.
I cannot remember what the warranty is on the K1600GT I am guessing 12mos unlimited mileage vs 36 mos on the C14

I was amazed that even being compared to this all new EXSPENSIVE BWM the C14 held its own in the comparison.

If Kawasaki doesn't counter with a 6 cyl of their own they need to at least add selectable mappings for ECO, SPORT, TOURING, and add
factory cruise control. I would also like to see dual exhaust similar to the BMW.

later,
C-14 Pilot. 
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
Can't wait to read that article.  Thanks for sharing.

Excavator

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
I know the BMW is a very well designed machine but the C14 is the best bang for the buck and I am completely satisfied with it.

Offline MIST

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
If Kawasaki doesn't counter with a 6 cyl of their own they need to at least add selectable mappings for ECO, SPORT, TOURING, and add
factory cruise control. I would also like to see dual exhaust similar to the BMW.

Especially electronic cruise control.

K16 warranty is the same as other BMW models; 3 years or 36k miles.

I know the BMW is a very well designed machine but the C14 is the best bang for the buck and I am completely satisfied with it.

I'm a fan of the roundel marque as well as previous owner of several touring, sport touring and sport model BMWs yet I couldn't agree with you more.
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »
Pilot, good report/summary.  I dont see Kawasaki doing another 6 cylinder bike. They did a good job with their 6 back in 1978 and I dont see a need for another one.

Offline xKLR

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
The article shows both bikes' top speed ~145mph? Seriously?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
Guys,

I just read the Cycleworld comparison of the new K1600Gt and the Concours 14 and here are my observations from what read:

The K1600Gt from what I can tell from the pictures in the mag and online is beautifully / well designed.
I am sure the K1600Gt is an awesome machine but is cost more than 9K more than a new Concours14.
Looking at the 1/4 mile and several roll on comparisons the C14 wins them all "barley"  including top end.
The writer said that the C14 is prone to drag parts in the corners, I have never experienced that in 40K mikes and I ride aggressively.
The writer did say the C14 handles the twisties better though, which contradicts the previous line.

Anyone have any idea what a valve adjustment would cost on the K1600GT, very costly I am sure.
I cannot remember what the warranty is on the K1600GT I am guessing 12mos unlimited mileage vs 36 mos on the C14

I was amazed that even being compared to this all new EXSPENSIVE BWM the C14 held its own in the comparison.

later,
C-14 Pilot.

Nice article/conclusions.  Several of us drag pegs on our 14s, it doesn't take much. The bags still have  a few inches clearance.

In this pic the girl on the RC51 with her go-pro cam was falling back, but she caught me in front of her draggin' pegs and the guy in front of me was on his knee-puck.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:34:47 AM »
I just read the Cycleworld comparison of the new K1600Gt and the Concours 14 [...]
I was amazed that even being compared to this all new EXSPENSIVE BWM the C14 held its own in the comparison.[...]If Kawasaki doesn't counter with a 6 cyl of their own they need to at least add selectable mappings for ECO, SPORT, TOURING, and add factory cruise control. I would also like to see dual exhaust similar to the BMW.

Fascinating.  And agreed, seems almost silly to compare the two.  But there you have it!  As far as performance goes, it sounds to me like there is no reason for Kawasaki to even consider a 6 cyl nor more displacement!  Imagine how much more complex and expensive it would be.

Like you, I think all they really need to do is just more refinements and CERTAINLY the addition of factory cruise.  The suggestions have been made in the forums before- things like adjustable seats, HID lights, all LED, more/better uses for the LCD, larger tank, etc, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:35:38 AM »
Sometimes a bike seems to drag it's pegs easily because it handles so well that you are going faster than you expected through a curve.  The issue isn't how easily it drags pegs, it's how fast your are going when you drag the pegs.  On my FJR with the stock tires I didn't hit the pegs all that often.  I switched to Avon Storms and suddenly I was dragging my pegs a whole lot more without trying just because the bike transitioned into the curves so easily.   

As to the rest, I have not seen the article yet.  I did a short ride on the GTL 1600.  It had a lot of nice things about it, but I would never consider it a replacement for the Concours.  It just feels like a much bigger bike and that I'm behind too much fairing and windshield.  And it didn't feel nearly as fast as the Concours.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:35 AM »
 the bikes are a lot different, starting with prices, then going into all the electronics on the BMW. Sure they are both sport tourers but in a totally different class. For the money there is no better buy than the concours. If your into gadgets than the BMW is for you. I guess you know there is no drain plug for the oil on the  1600 GT or GTL. BMW wants you to take it in for an oil change, they use a pump to get the oil out, my friends 1300GT is the same way.
There was a comparison on the GTL to the Gold Wing, they said the GTL was for someone going from a sport tourer to a bike more on the touring side and the Gold Wing was a bike for a man and his wife to go touring on.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
No oil drain plug?  BMW (Bike Made Weird).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
Why the different riding modes?  Isn't that what your right wrist and traction control is for?  8)  The only thing the C14 needs or is lacking as options is true CC and adaptive headlights.  The C14 has everything else and more at a very reasonable price. 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »
Why make a 6 cylinder with a larger displacement if you aren't going to have it produce more power?  That makes zero sense to me.  Yes I get the whole smoothness of the paired three cylinder thing but it doesn't buy you much.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
You can get the same smoothness from a V4, with plenty of HP and TQ... no need to plant a huge engine in there.  The I4 in the C14 is amazing to me, coming from a ST1300 and Wing.  You always hear about the buzzyness on I4's, but I've been pretty happy with this engine... smooth, strong... no real flat spots... just purr's and putt's along.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »
Why make a 6 cylinder with a larger displacement if you aren't going to have it produce more power?  That makes zero sense to me.  Yes I get the whole smoothness of the paired three cylinder thing but it doesn't buy you much.

Or possibly, in this case, make more power, but lose it all due to additional weight.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »
The BMW has much more weight and bulk. So much that the Connie whipped it in the quarter mile. This GT ?or GTL-- almost identical--is 61 pounds heavier than the c-14,German replacement for the old Light Truck LT, with or without the tail box.  Ultimately they ended the article claiming the BMW more "comfortable".  Duh. They did finally announce the heat coming off that huge engine is a real crotch heater--first the media sugerizers mentioned that. And if you read Kevin Cameron's article about racing, you will see some issues with the BMW 1000 finally put in print.
2008 C-14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
Why the different riding modes?  Isn't that what your right wrist and traction control is for?  8)  The only thing the C14 needs or is lacking as options is true CC and adaptive headlights.  The C14 has everything else and more at a very reasonable price.

Differences in ride are profound with different suspension settings, even on the C14.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
Or possibly, in this case, make more power, but lose it all due to additional weight.

I like your new avatar Max, very cool!  :thumbs: 8)

Did you make that from one of your existing pics with photshop or something?

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
I am not hoping for Kawasaki to do a 6 cly Concours but as I stated in my original post I would like
selectable mappings with the sport mode being more like a zx14.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »

I like your new avatar Max, very cool!  :thumbs: 8)

Did you make that from one of your existing pics with photshop or something?

Thanks. I was sick of the other one, it was so tiny you couldn't even see it was a Concours!  So I took one of the pictures of my bike used GIMP [ http://www.gimp.org ] on it with a "painting" effect.  Zoomed and cropped, voila!

Here is a bigger version (click to see):   (And original below it)