Author Topic: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT  (Read 53583 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Another Comparo...
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:37 AM »
Linked Braking System.  ;)

Ah.  Too many acronyms in my life.  But the C-14 *has* LBS (unless you have an older Concours) and it sounded like you said you "missed it".   I am curious as to why you would miss it if you didn't have it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
Totally agree with the comments on the C 14 linked brakes.

+1

If Mama Kaw could modify the ABS software to allow the rear break peddle to only apply the rear breaks as a 3rd option to what's already there, that would be a step in the right direction IMHO.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 07:23:32 AM »
+1

If Mama Kaw could modify the ABS software to allow the rear break peddle to only apply the rear breaks as a 3rd option to what's already there, that would be a step in the right direction IMHO.

Doubt they would do that for us, rear braking is only 10% of a bike's stopping power and there may be some liability concerns. If someone (other than us) got used to that, then slammed the rear brake with no front they'd be splat against the vehicle in front of them.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Kazairl

Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
+1

X2. My 2010's ABS and Linked brakes aren't working right now due to a canine issue and I have to say I love not having linked brakes.

ABS good. LBS not so much.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2011, 08:13:45 AM »
I don't agree with half of the review. Calling the C14 a "sufficiently adept sport-tourer" is like calling the USS Nimitz a "boat".  :o
I just came from a tour (2000 miles in 4 days) through the south of Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. I went from 40 to 100°F in loose gravel roads, Croatian back roads that made my otherwise immutable Angel's behave like if they were made of teflon :o and Slovenian roads with fantastic grip. I drove through the dry highlands in Croatia and with rain (more like a deluge) in the Alps; I went at 150 mph on the Autobahn and in 1st gear hairpins... And everything I can complain about is the heat coming out on the right side when things got toasty (first time ever in 2,5 years of ownership, so I'll look into it this weekend).
It took me and all my rubbish in comfort and style and managed 44 mpg (mine is a 2008 model, without ECO mode). It didn't use a drop of oil. With the BMW, which I sampled for about 600 miles already in 2-3 occasions, I would have been only slightly more comfortable, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the curves like I did. I got to the hotels, got rid of the bags and enjoyed my bike. With the BMW you don't get nearly as sporty, which if it's not your thing, then it's fine, of course.
I never missed power on the Kawi (quite the opposite), and I never got overwhelmed on the Beemer. The K16 is a slightly more competent tourer and can take curves at speeds that it shouldn't for its size/weight, but it isn't sporty in any sense of the word, and definitely can't touch the C14. And at 10000 less, that's a good thing.

A side note has to do with the ABS. First generation systems added up to 15 pounds to the bikes and were the size of a brick. That went down to 7 pounds recently. Last year they came out with a unit weighing less than 4 pounds and the size of a big wallet. And that progress is also on the software. The ABS actuator on the Kawasaki is the same as 4 years ago, and it shows :-\
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:02:43 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline olie

« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »
.....  I don't think Kawasaki needs a 6 cyl or an "answer" to the BMW, because it will just push them right out of the reasonably priced market.....

Apparently the "answer" may be on the way as Kawasaki has applied for some patents on a 1400cc  4cyl engines with a supercharger. In the case of the C14, they can tune a supercharger for the low end to provide a boost in the torque. Oviously for the ZX-14 /ZZR1400, the tune would be for power.

link...
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/August/aug1011-kawasakis-supercharged-zzr1400-plans/Kawasaki/ZZR1400/_/R-EPI-132169
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:55:25 PM by olie »
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
 :hail:

That would be wicked!

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Imagine, stump pulling diesel like torque out of this 1400cc? Well that won't affect me since mine is a new '11 and I'm not going to be in the market for a new Connie for another 75K - 100K miles.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
Ah.  Too many acronyms in my life.  But the C-14 *has* LBS (unless you have an older Concours) and it sounded like you said you "missed it".   I am curious as to why you would miss it if you didn't have it.

I have a 09 C14, no LBS on it... and the LBS that Kawasaki does offer isn't the same as how Honda deploys theirs.

I miss not having LBS, Honda's version anyway... 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
I have a 09 C14, no LBS on it... and the LBS that Kawasaki does offer isn't the same as how Honda deploys theirs.

I miss not having LBS, Honda's version anyway...

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
I'm not CycleWorld but here is the situation: 2 weeks ago I did a 1800 miles trip from Munich, Germany, to Dubrovnik, Croatia on my 1400GTR, and had a blast. I did it alone, so no girlfriend hitting my ribs when exceeding... ahem... some speed (2 gentlemen in blue uniform in Slovenia were kind enough to let me go with just a warning ;D). I truly bonded with my bike; I had longer trips in the past but for some reason I enjoyed this one the most.
Anyway, my girlfriend decided for me that we need a holiday together, and we are doing a similar trip this weekend, this time 2-up, obviously, but with one twist: I managed to snatch a K1600 GTL for the trip, so although the conditions are not the same (it's a GTL, not a GT, and the ballast girlfriend will be there) I'll be doing pretty much half the trip on the same roads as last time, with the exception of the last leg of the trip, Zagreb-Dubrovnik, which I will replace with Zagreb-Budapest. Total mileage will be about 1300.
I'll try to pay attention to the few things that where discussed here and form an opinion. As I stated before, I think this bike is better suited for the kind of driving I'll be doing, that is, more relaxed and touring oriented and not so agressive. Will see.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
I'll be looking forward to the review. I would also think that the BMW GTL would be better suited for a less aggressive trip with speed limiting ballast. My ballast doesn't like to ride at all. I've told her that if she did want to start riding with me, I would get a Goldwing for that purpose in a heart beat.

I'm not CycleWorld but here is the situation: 2 weeks ago I did a 1800 miles trip from Munich, Germany, to Dubrovnik, Croatia on my 1400GTR, and had a blast. I did it alone, so no girlfriend hitting my ribs when exceeding... ahem... some speed (2 gentlemen in blue uniform in Slovenia were kind enough to let me go with just a warning ;D). I truly bonded with my bike; I had longer trips in the past but for some reason I enjoyed this one the most.
Anyway, my girlfriend decided for me that we need a holiday together, and we are doing a similar trip this weekend, this time 2-up, obviously, but with one twist: I managed to snatch a K1600 GTL for the trip, so although the conditions are not the same (it's a GTL, not a GT, and the ballast girlfriend will be there) I'll be doing pretty much half the trip on the same roads as last time, with the exception of the last leg of the trip, Zagreb-Dubrovnik, which I will replace with Zagreb-Budapest. Total mileage will be about 1300.
I'll try to pay attention to the few things that where discussed here and form an opinion. As I stated before, I think this bike is better suited for the kind of driving I'll be doing, that is, more relaxed and touring oriented and not so agressive. Will see.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2011, 04:13:51 AM »
Martin, start a new thread with that comparison, please.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.