Author Topic: bloody video of an accident on a C14 (what caused it?)  (Read 90191 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
bloody video of an accident on a C14 (what caused it?)
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »
tittle says it all. Go to 26:40 and look what happened:

http://youtu.be/W6olw5NXGns
what caused this?
I'm not sure where to put this post but I sure want to discuss what happened to this guy. In my opinion he was not going overly quick and still lost control, and I'd like to know why. Apparently the poster speaks spanish so I'll try to get in touch with him. From what I could find out, it happened between 2 small places called Putaendo and Cabildo, some 50 miles north of Santiago, in Chile.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Vic Salisbury

Re: bloody video of an accident on a C14 (what caused it?)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Quick couple of looks, it seems like the rear tire lost traction? Maybe the front? There is a puff of smoke there around the tires, but I did not see the brake light come on though. And seemed like he clenched the handgrips, sticking the leg out didn't help, got the wobblies and didn't look where he wanted to go after he went off the pavement on the right.  I dunno, scary how a benign moment can turn bad real quick......
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
Perhaps something on the road, oil, sand...? He was hugging the centerline WAY more than I like to, almost on top of it. He lost traction and then it turned into a knee slapper. He's VERY lucky that there wasn't a car in the other lane when he crossed over.

What's impressive is how easy his friend picked up the downed C14 by nothing more than the handlebars. I'm sure he was pumped full of adrenalin.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
I've seen this before either here or the other forum, if I recall correctly...in panic mode he gave it
more throttle because of his CrampBuster. Maybe I can find a link to the discussion.

Here it is: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1967.msg23840#msg23840

Quote from: His comments from youtube
it was road debris, not a bike problem. I did not pick up speed, just my friend slowed down as he saw me with problem.

Didn´t brake at all, because if you do the bike stands up and stops turning.

Anyway, I don´t remember anything from the accident...

I was going like 140 kms/h when lost the rear...

Just a broken left wrist.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
It looks like a combination of things, it appears the road surface may have changed, maybe gravel or a tar snake right in his line, his body position wasnt great and he may have chopped the throttle, which would cause the suspension to settle even lower, causing hard parts to hit, robbing traction, slides rear tire even more, which resulted in a near high side.  Once all that happened I'm sure he totally tensed up, freaked out, and became part of the landscape.  I sure hope he's recovering.
His riding companion?  The bike first?  Really??? 

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
... snip ...

That's exactly what I thought.  He starts to walk over to his buddy, then turns back and goes for the bike.  Then stays away while working with the phone.   :loco:

F.Y.I. advance the video to 26:40 ish, to see the incident.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
I've re-watched this several times and looking at the following bikes speedometer it doesn't appear that
he slowed down as much as the other bike seemed to accelerate. I think I could hear the connie accelerate when it
was in the dirt on the right side of the road. Since he says "I don't remember anything from the accident"
I think the combination of his panic and the Crampbuster made it worse. As for his friend I do believe he was
waved off to get the connie by the first responder perhaps at the urging of the downed biker.

I wish I was strong enough to just pick it up by the bars. :-[

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
Kawasaki Concours 2008 live crash in Chile HD
Another clip of the same, comment from rider is it was road debri. 

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
Like others have said, you can see what appears to be dust kick up from his rear tire.  Also notice he was hanging off in the curves.  I've said many times that I think that is the wrong thing to do on the street.  It makes it harder to make quick reactions to things that can come up on the street, and it puts your bike off balance.  Works for known conditions like a race track, but not so much for the unexpected on the street.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Couple thoughts...

Either debris on the road, or a tar snake got him.

The wobble was him losing the front, then regaining traction at the front, causing a violent wobble.

He had it saved on the right side of the road, got back on pavement, then went off the left side.  NO REASON TO CRASH once he had it saved.

NOTE - he went off the right, and his buddy damn near target fixated and went with him.

Not a good day at all.

Be safe.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »
yeah combo of a few things. body position was all outta whack for a sweeper like that. it was like he was trying to lean while sitting upright while his head was fighting to stay on the center line of the bike.  it does look like he lost traction maybe some dit or gravel.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »
...in panic mode he gave it more throttle because of his CrampBuster. [/url]

My Crampbuster has gotten me squirrely when I least expected it... It SURE gets the blood pumping.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
I can't believe that lady was trying to steal his boots right after the crash! :yikes:

Kidding.

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
Several things led to this result.
Looking at the road and surroundings there would be a pretty good chance of loose debris in the non swept areas such as the centre line and even mid lane areas.
The rear appeared to step out, the bike appeared not to slow down (cruise control?) he target fixated and froze.
The options he had were to heavily counter steer to correct his line once the slide was under control, my guess he has little or no experience of a bike moving around under him and it just freaked him out, this compounded by the cruise control meant he was a passenger pretty much as soon as it happened.

Hope the guy isn't too bashed up.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 05:49:31 PM »

Exactly- I was SHOCKED that he didn't IMMEDIATELY go to his friend first.  Who cares about the damn bike??!?!?!!  And then casually walking around, messing with the phone, it seemed "surreal".

Thank god he was OK.  Amazing to go through all that and just have a broken wrist.  Please let this be an example of not only good luck but PROPER RIDING GEAR.

As far as the throttle paddle (CrampBuster type), I have one, and I have been worried that it would get me into trouble too.  To adjust it so it helps with cruising, it is necessarily in the way of good brake/throttle control.  Hmm...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
I am not gonna stand up for the BMW rider but I think he walked back to pick up the C14 since there were already five or six people talking to his buddy, I think he was just trying to clear the road as much as possible.  But that is definitely not what my priorities have been when I have been in that situation.  Both times I have helped a down buddy there was not a soul within 400 meters.

I think the guy hit some sort of dirt or sand in the middle of the road and he panicked. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »

What's impressive is how easy his friend picked up the downed C14 by nothing more than the handlebars. I'm sure he was pumped full of adrenalin.

He picked that thing up like it was a 250 Ninja...  :o

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
Did anyone else notice he lost a bag before the bike went down?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
Did anyone else notice he lost a bag before the bike went down?

Yes, I did notice that... if it was a bag, which I think it was.  The movement was pretty violent at that point, and if it was loaded, I could see that happening.  Although it is probably not supposed to.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
When the roads turn twisty, "my" crampbuster comes off.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey