Author Topic: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?  (Read 74130 times)

Offline jjsC6

Re: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »
I'm amazed by how many people on this forum that don't like hp. It is the main thing that made me take a look at the C14 in the first place. I really need a touring bike but give me one with as much performance as possible at a reasonable price. That's why I love the C14.

I agree.  Give me a ST bike with ZX-14/Hayabusa engine and I can't buy a new bike fast enough.  I'm tired of the detuned ST bikes.  Tired of the excuses.  Someone needs to step up to the plate and give us the full monty.  Those of you who don't want the full monty can just learn to not twist the throttle all the way open (your probably don't now anyway).  There are plenty of detuned bikes out there for those of you wimps that are afraid you can't handle the truth....I mean the horsepower.  Go buy a Honda ST1300 and have a good day  ;)
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
If anyone thinks for a second, that a Connie has more low end grunt than a ZX14, they're sadly mistaken.
The VVT is pointless in my opinion. The old ZX engine would have been better left alone.
And a ZX engine will last just as long. You don't have to ride it as hard. 8)

Agreed.  I have ridden a ZX14.  I could not believe the mid range power it has.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »
I have to agree with many of the others.  To me, the Concours is plenty powerful enough to do anything I would ever want or need.  And no affordable ST can currently out perform it.  I am more focused on reliability, efficiency, and comfort, which is what VVT, lower end tuning, shaft drive, etc offer.  The Concours offers an excellent combination of power/performance, fuel economy, and drivability backed by the industry's best warranty.

If Kawasaki wants to be creative, they should listen to the myriad of suggestions on the board, already- things like CRUISE CONTROL, HID LIGHTING, more adjustability for bars and seats, 100% LED lighting, built-in tip-over protection, and refined KIPASS that lets you unlock EVERYTHING without a key, not just the ignition.  And consider options for even more stuff ST riders often want: alarm, nav, com, and convenience lighting come to mind.

Of course, I am certainly not opposed to increased power, as long as it doesn't come at the cost of reliability, efficiency, and comfort.  :)

The ZX14 and Haybusa are both considered to be the most bullet proof bikes made.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
I think Kawasaki will wake up next year and realize that two same size engines with different crankshafts, and internal parts is going to be confusing during assembly and more expensive to produce time and and manpower wise in machining.

It makes good sense to at least use the same block, they can always detune the C-14 down to about 165 HP with the black ugly stock pipe that comes with it.

Then all the weak guys here that like to drive under the speed limit can just leave it alone and never have to do any upgrades to it cause it will be perfect out of the box.

But those of us who like cutting edge performance can always add a pipe and tweak another 25 HP out of the great C-14 and then always have a smile on our faces cause we have the best of both worlds, performance, speed, shaft drive, electric windshield, heated grips, better seat/riding position and saddle bags!

Enuf said!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
To me, horsepower is just like Ta Ta's -  The more the better!  8)
When it comes to Ta Ta's I prefer the standard OEM two. Anything less is sad, anything more is freakish.

As for more HP on an ST the C14 is OK. More would be nice but less MPG would be BAD.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
When it comes to Ta Ta's I prefer the standard OEM two. Anything less is sad, anything more is freakish.

I think these are OEM?

Offline KawiG

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
 :goodpost: :hail:
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
Agreed.  I have ridden a ZX14.  I could not believe the mid range power it has.
+1
I am on this side of the great divide!

Funny thing is about this forum, you have a lot of Walter Mitty badasses that buy ST bikes, especially the FJR and Concour.  They are badass when they push up behind you on the highway, but once they pass, they slow down to PSL +3. They couldn't care less if the ZX-14 engine was available, because they have about twice the power they can handle now.
2008 C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
The VVT is pointless in my opinion.

It is an awfully expensive addition to be pointless.  I appreciate what it does to retain a decent power curve while being fuel efficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing
"An engine requires large amounts of air when operating at high speeds. However, the intake valves may close before enough air has entered each combustion chamber, reducing performance. On the other hand, if the camshaft keeps the valves open for longer periods of time, as with a racing cam, problems start to occur at the lower engine speeds. This will cause unburnt fuel to exit the engine since the valves are still open. This leads to lower engine performance [,lower fuel economy,] and increased emissions."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
I think Kawasaki will wake up next year and realize that two same size engines with different crankshafts, and internal parts is going to be confusing during assembly and more expensive to produce time and and manpower wise in machining.  It makes good sense to at least use the same block.

Agreed.  And I expect they probably will at some point.

they can always detune the C-14 down to about 165 HP with the black ugly stock pipe that comes with it.

Not only is the stock muffler not ugly, it is not currently restricting power.  In fact, I don't really believe anything in the Concours is artificially restricting power, it is simply distributed differently.  A single snapshot of peak horsepower does not reveal performance and "detune" is a loaded word.  "Retuned" is more accurate.  The mission of the tuning of the Concours is/was not to maximize peak HP but to widen the power band, knowing that the target audience would be less likely to want to cruise at 6,000RPM or frequently run up to 10,500RPM.  This gives more low/mid-end response than the Concours would otherwise have and a more reasonable fuel economy.  And the VVT enables the Concours to open up the values for reasonable performance at higher RPM, without sacrificing lower-end power and fuel economy.

Then all the weak guys here that like to drive under the speed limit can just leave it alone and never have to do any upgrades to it cause it will be perfect out of the box.

Any vehicle can drive over the speed limit (and the Concours will go 158mph!)  And nobody I know drives *under* the speed limit (well, maybe one person).  It is how quickly to can get TO the speed limit (or reasonably over) that is the fun part. :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Not only is the stock muffler not ugly, it is not currently restricting power

The stock header is though I would think Max...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

The stock header is though I would think Max...

It is quite possible the intake and/or header and/or exhaust pipe are restrictive at high RPM (but probably only if fuel was less restricted).  But he was saying the ugly black pipe (which I took to mean muffler, since the exhaust pipe is not black).  Of course, a larger diameter exhaust system that can help high end performance (assuming the FI is tuned correctly) can lead to loss in low-RPM torque/performance and decrease in fuel economy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermarket_exhaust_parts#Disadvantages

Nothing in life is free ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
Gotcha Max, now I see where you're coming from then on your statement.  :grouphug:

Back to the thread, I am on the side of the fence to give us the option, more power will sell, wether somebody uses it to it's full potential is up to them... There are many cars on the road that have far more power than is needed for commuting, but that doesn't mean I'd take a Prius (no offence Sparky) over a twin turbo Porsche...

Offline Spanky

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »

The stock muffler is not ugly. It is FUGLY!   :doublepuke:  It has given an entirely new dimension to all things ugly and has no business being attached to a machine as nice looking as a C14. I am shocked that lightning has not come down from the heavens and blasted the Kawasaki design center for marketing such blatant motorcycle blasphemy.

I pray for forgiveness for the designers, surely they were possessed by evil ancestor spirits who were jealous that they never had anything so nice to ride.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 05:32:10 AM »
The stock muffler is not ugly. It is FUGLY!   :doublepuke:  It has given an entirely new dimension to all things ugly and has no business being attached to a machine as nice looking as a C14. I am shocked that lightning has not come down from the heavens and blasted the Kawasaki design center for marketing such blatant motorcycle blasphemy.

I pray for forgiveness for the designers, surely they were possessed by evil ancestor spirits who were jealous that they never had anything so nice to ride.

LOL- Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 08:16:04 AM »
This issue comes up a lot on the sportbike boards.  A lot of new sportbike riders will go out and buy a new 750 or 1000 and brag about how they "need more power" and do tons of mods, 90% of which are counter productive to what they are actually trying to achieve, which is more low end torque (regearing with higher ratio sprockets will do that, great mod, particularly on a 600.)

My Gixxer lives at the upper limit of the RPM band when it's on the track.  I can't really get there on the street.  Same with my C14.  The thing will get up to 80-90 mph plenty fast if you just open the throttle and ride the power band.  Could I benefically use more power for acceleration on the street?  Yeah, in a straight line drag race, which I only do to exercise the engine periodically but that's about it.  I have not yet been limited by power in the twisties.  Certainly not on the freeway.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:23 AM »
Like with cars, people ask for horsepower and buy torque.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
Here is a dose of reality...........lets just say that Kawasaki does what some of you want, I will bet the farm that y'all will still bitch and find something to complain about. Just sayin....... 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline okxd45

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
Here is a dose of reality...........lets just say that Kawasaki does what some of you want, I will bet the farm that y'all will still bitch and find something to complain about. Just sayin....... 8)

Ding Ding Ding.......we have a winner! ;D
Enough is never enough........
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »
Will they ever put the bigger engine in, though?  If  a person squints, the bike is not THAT much different than a comfortable zx14.  Obviously, I get the power difference and shaft, but lets say it like that for those who worry about keeping  a clean driving record.   Would Kawi gain anything by modding these two closer together  or end up stealing sales away from one of them? The c14 never lacks power in a street riding situation.