Author Topic: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day  (Read 55913 times)

Offline Hornblower

Re: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
http://hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

Try the Hyperwhites w/modulation.  Fit inside the mirror wells, slight angle to create a crossing pattern.  3+ years, passed many LEOs and rode with a few, no issues.

I have previously used Hyper-Lites for brake lights and been very pleased with the results so when I saw the earlier post from Son of Pappy, I was subscribed. Before his post, I didn't realize the folks at Hyper-Lites had introduced the Hyper-White Front Running Lights. I ordered and installed these and have posted a couple of pics below to show the result. I'm using these full-on without modulation the way you would use LED DRL's on autos. I think it adds considerable conspicuity and allows me to run low beams in the daytime and not be as concerned about not being seen.

First, a pic with the Hyper-Whites off:

Next, a pic with them on:
2009 C14-Black

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
I ride with HID's on hi and low beams on during the daytime....hi vis helmet, jacket, and gloves....

You need all the hi visibility for the cagers to give you every chance to be seen...black bikes, black jackets, black pants, black helmets are almost invisible.....

It is a dangerous sport so you need all the positive visibility features you can muster...then good brakes and watch the side roads, traffic lights and slow driving cagers on county roads...

Consider yourself in a combat zone when you ride a bike......the troops are armed with body armor, ballistic helmet, and a machine gun to deal with the enemy who they usually can't seen until they have been fired upon.  You need the same equipment but you can't fire back!  Just try to take evasive action and hope you have time to avoid the contact.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
I ride with HID's on hi and low beams on during the daytime....hi vis helmet, jacket, and gloves....

You need all the hi visibility for the cagers to give you every chance to be seen...black bikes, black jackets, black pants, black helmets are almost invisible.....

It is a dangerous sport so you need all the positive visibility features you can muster...then good brakes and watch the side roads, traffic lights and slow driving cagers on county roads...

Consider yourself in a combat zone when you ride a bike......the troops are armed with body armor, ballistic helmet, and a machine gun to deal with the enemy who they usually can't seen until they have been fired upon.  You need the same equipment but you can't fire back!  Just try to take evasive action and hope you have time to avoid the contact.

Ninja

TRUTH BE TOLD.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »

Ninja

There's a ringing endorsement if ever I heard one.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
Extra! Extra! Retinal detachments up 22% in Florida! Read all about it.... well, feel the bumps on the paper all about it.

For what it is worth: high beams with HIDs in a C-14 housing are just downright nasty to oncoming traffic. Just my opinion and a suggestion but let's be as responsible as we can people. I am all for good vehicle lighting and in fact am using HID's on my own C-14 but I think we should still behave somewhat responsibly. Being visible is one thing, causing other people to lose their vision is another thing entirely.

Maybe Kirby or the crash test dummies will weigh in on this issue.  ::)

Brian

There's a ringing endorsement if ever I heard one.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
When in doubt, refer to the dummies.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
When in doubt, refer to the dummies.

Crash test dummies for the win, what a low-stress career
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
In Florida their is NO such thing as protection

US Postal Service officials to Florida customers: Stop crashing into our buildingsBy Sevil Omer, NBC News
Officials with the U.S. Postal Service are sending a special message to customers in Florida: Pay extra attention to your driving.

Follow @NBCNewsUSSo far this year, eight motorists have crashed into post office buildings in Florida, including one customer who plowed through a lobby in the eastern community of Vero Beach, according to ABC affiliate WWSB7 in Sarasota.

The accidents prompted postal officials to release a set of precautions, including “avoid distracted driving," "visibly check to see whether your foot is on the gas pedal or the brake pedal,” and “visibly check to see if the vehicle is in park, reverse or drive,” WWSB7 reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postal officials say drivers stepping on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal or accelerating when the driver believes the vehicle is in reverse are the top causes for the accidents,

In June 2011, patrons escaped injury after 89-year-old Phyllis Slaunwhite roared her 2002 Subaru Outback all the way through a post office building in Oldsmar, the Tampa Bay Times reported. She told police she had no memory of the accident. Damage to the building: $250,000, according to the newspaper.

"It was just a big smash and everyone started shuffling toward the front of the building," resident Frank Kubacki told the Tampa Bay Times. "There you go. Another Florida accident."

9/17/2012: Punta Gorda. Customer pressed the gas instead of the brakes and ran into the
building, hitting a front pillar.

8/21/2012: Leesburg. Customer she said she was startled by something falling from the (thought it was ET)
sky and accelerated into the post office lobby.

07/02/2012: Fruitland Park. Customer pulled into the wrong parking lot and was going to
back out. He did not realize the vehicle was in drive and stepped on the accelerator,
driving into the retail area.

6/14/2012: Lakeland MPO. Customer was sitting in vehicle talking to husband, put foot on
the gas instead of the brake, ran over the curb and knocked down a light pole.

3/5/2012: Goldenrod. Customer drove vehicle into front lobby of PO. Customer
thought she was pressing brake pedal as she was parking in handicap parking spot in
front of PO. Instead she pushed gas pedal and drove vehicle into one of the building's
mail supports.

2/12/2012: Vero Beach-Tropic Branch. Customer failed to brake and drove vehicle
through postal lobby.

2/8/2012: Wimauma. Customer hit the gas pedal instead of the brake, hitting the
front of the Post Office. The front bumper of the car hit the brick portion of the building
breaking the front glass windows.

1/3/2012: Indian Rocks Beach. Customer was leaving Post Office when foot slipped off
the brake and hit the accelerator, sending car forward over the curb into the east wall of
the Post Office. Car hit a cinder block wall,

And  YOU think a helmut, gloves and coat is going to save you.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:25:26 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Conrad

« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
Hey now, no need to put the Dummies down!

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
I Florida their is NO such thing as protection

US Postal Service officials to Florida customers: Stop crashing into our buildingsBy Sevil Omer, NBC News
Officials with the U.S. Postal Service are sending a special message to customers in Florida: Pay extra attention to your driving.

Follow @NBCNewsUSSo far this year, eight motorists have crashed into post office buildings in Florida, including one customer who plowed through a lobby in the eastern community of Vero Beach, according to ABC affiliate WWSB7 in Sarasota.

The accidents prompted postal officials to release a set of precautions, including “avoid distracted driving," "visibly check to see whether your foot is on the gas pedal or the brake pedal,” and “visibly check to see if the vehicle is in park, reverse or drive,” WWSB7 reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postal officials say drivers stepping on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal or accelerating when the driver believes the vehicle is in reverse are the top causes for the accidents,

In June 2011, patrons escaped injury after 89-year-old Phyllis Slaunwhite roared her 2002 Subaru Outback all the way through a post office building in Oldsmar, the Tampa Bay Times reported. She told police she had no memory of the accident. Damage to the building: $250,000, according to the newspaper.

"It was just a big smash and everyone started shuffling toward the front of the building," resident Frank Kubacki told the Tampa Bay Times. "There you go. Another Florida accident."

9/17/2012: Punta Gorda. Customer pressed the gas instead of the brakes and ran into the
building, hitting a front pillar.

8/21/2012: Leesburg. Customer she said she was startled by something falling from the (thought it was ET)
sky and accelerated into the post office lobby.

07/02/2012: Fruitland Park. Customer pulled into the wrong parking lot and was going to
back out. He did not realize the vehicle was in drive and stepped on the accelerator,
driving into the retail area.

6/14/2012: Lakeland MPO. Customer was sitting in vehicle talking to husband, put foot on
the gas instead of the brake, ran over the curb and knocked down a light pole.

3/5/2012: Goldenrod. Customer drove vehicle into front lobby of PO. Customer
thought she was pressing brake pedal as she was parking in handicap parking spot in
front of PO. Instead she pushed gas pedal and drove vehicle into one of the building's
mail supports.

2/12/2012: Vero Beach-Tropic Branch. Customer failed to brake and drove vehicle
through postal lobby.

2/8/2012: Wimauma. Customer hit the gas pedal instead of the brake, hitting the
front of the Post Office. The front bumper of the car hit the brick portion of the building
breaking the front glass windows.

1/3/2012: Indian Rocks Beach. Customer was leaving Post Office when foot slipped off
the brake and hit the accelerator, sending car forward over the curb into the east wall of
the Post Office. Car hit a cinder block wall,

And  YOU think a helmut, gloves and coat is going to save you.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's just so difficult to drive and change your Depends at the same time.    :o

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
Geriatrics are the 113th reason i ride with my high beam on during the day in FL. Everyone else in the sunshine state has on shades anyway  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »
Hey now, no need to put the Dummies down!

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

I am, of course, referring to the dummies in this thread. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »
I have previously used Hyper-Lites for brake lights and been very pleased with the results so when I saw the earlier post from Son of Pappy, I was subscribed. Before his post, I didn't realize the folks at Hyper-Lites had introduced the Hyper-White Front Running Lights. I ordered and installed these and have posted a couple of pics below to show the result. I'm using these full-on without modulation the way you would use LED DRL's on autos. I think it adds considerable conspicuity and allows me to run low beams in the daytime and not be as concerned about not being seen.

First, a pic with the Hyper-Whites off:

Next, a pic with them on:

How did you wire these and do you have any better up close pics?  Thanks

Son of Pappy

« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
http://s356.photobucket.com/albums/oo2/SFCMAIN/
Here's how I did mine.  I used juice off the euro city lights plugs ;ocated under the left cover panel, inside the large black boot.  Switch is to the right of the stove knob.  You can see how I offshot the lights, right side is angled left and vice versus for the left.  I do have a couple burned out LEDs but every bit as effective.  Getting ready to order a set for the GS.  I love the modulation for 2 reasons, one, it creates depth and grabs attention, and 2, those slow pokes in the left lane?  They only see what looks like flashing lights and pull over.  I'll take these over modulating headlights anyday, I even run them at night, no harm done as my driving lights stay on low for oncoming traffic.  You should see the street signs pop green everytime she cycles ;D

Offline Hornblower

« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
Like SOP, I wired mine into the accessory plug under the left fairing cover. As you can see however, I mounted my modules horizontally instead of vertically like SOP. What I was after was to use the Hyper-Whites as Daytime Running Lights so anytime the ignition is switched on, the lights come on full. A very nice weatherproof switch comes with the kit and I mounted that on the front edge of the tank on the glove box section. I plan to turn these off at night and only use them in the daytime to supplement my low beam headlights. Access for connecting and running the wires for this kit is very simple and the entire install can be done in an hour or so.
2009 C14-Black

Offline Zteve

« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
I was in my car and a guy on a bike with his high beam on was coming at me. All I could see was the blinding light. As he passed me at the last second I noticed his foot was well over the yellow line just missing me by about an inch. I'll bet alot of people even look away from the blinding lights which could make them veer off course. So yes, you do notice the light but that's about it.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
I was in my car and a guy on a bike with his high beam on was coming at me. All I could see was the blinding light. As he passed me at the last second I noticed his foot was well over the yellow line just missing me by about an inch. I'll bet alot of people even look away from the blinding lights which could make them veer off course. So yes, you do notice the light but that's about it.

+1
Prejudice never shows much reason. I ride a black C14 with black everything, except my anthracite Shoei Neotec. And people do not cut in front of me, not sms writing teenagers, not 89 years old ladies, nobody. I have this nasty habit of driving defensively, which among other things includes keeping distance from other vehicles. I know, I'm funny in that way too.  ::)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
Defensive riding only protects you so much, other tactics and being seen is #1 priority when I ride. I have also been using the SMIDSY technique much more often, seems to help.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Zteve

« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
I'm sure it's already been said here many times. But "drive like your invisible" is the best advise ever. IMHO

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »
+1
Prejudice never shows much reason. I ride a black C14 with black everything, except my anthracite Shoei Neotec. And people do not cut in front of me, not sms writing teenagers, not 89 years old ladies, nobody. I have this nasty habit of driving defensively, which among other things includes keeping distance from other vehicles. I know, I'm funny in that way too.  ::)

You ZG, you!