Author Topic: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?  (Read 26515 times)

Offline copdocpvd

Re: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »
I have a passive fob and spare key combo that I zip-tied just out of direct vision under the fairing area under the handlebars.  Having a spare in the glovebox, or in a saddlebag, or even in a jacket still seemed too risky (what if you lose your spare key that you "always keep in your jacket?"  What if you're at a restaurant and go to the bathroom and someone rips off your jacket?).  I figure no matter what happens, I can always pull out a pocketknife, cut the zip-ties, and be good to go.
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »
I can certainly understand that.  Right or left pocket?  I keep mine in my right.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
I keep the active fob "permanently" in my riding jacket zippered pocket.  It is not like I am going to lose or misplace my jacket.  Works great.  About the only time I ever have to take it out of that pocket is if I am riding somewhere where I am going to leave the bike AND it is hot AND I want to leave the jacket at the bike instead of taking it with me  (in the bag or locked to the helmet lock).  And that is pretty rare.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 04:31:05 PM »
I keep it in a pants pocket- I virtually never leave the house without pants on. I also have never left my pants in a restaurant or rest- room where they are likely to be stolen..... at least so far in this life.

(Extra Easy Boys!)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »
Brian, are you trying to tell this guy to keep it in his pants? I suppose it would be easier than keeping it in someone else's pants. I'm just sayin'.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »
Oh no, I would never tell  anyone else what to do with, keep in, or anything else to do with his / her pants. A very private matter IMO. I am merely stating that I have had great success with some of the stuff I carry around in my own pants, and it appears that others have had trouble with the identical object when <not> carried in his / her pants.

Brian

Brian, are you trying to tell this guy to keep it in his pants? I suppose it would be easier than keeping it in someone else's pants. I'm just sayin'.....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »
I am merely stating that I have had great success with some of the stuff I carry around in my own pants,
Brian

I wish Andrea was here to shine the light of reality on your boastful ways.    ::) :P

Offline fb129

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Two local ACE Hardware stores couldn't read my FOB . Has anybody has any success with this method

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »
Trying to clone it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Two local ACE Hardware stores couldn't read my FOB . Has anybody has any success with this method

Did they have the "red itool device"?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18252.msg258040#msg258040

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »
Yeah, I respectfully disagree for some of those very reasons you mention- leaving a jacket on the bike, switching jackets (I have three I use under different circumstances), etc.

Put the RF fob in a front pants pocket and leave it there.... forever. Be done with it. Sure, you will have it at weddings, outside late at night, baying at the moon, etc., etc. but who cares? It is not heavy, it is not obtrusive and it always works fantastic in a pants pocket 'cause it is close to the RF receiver, which is under the seat. Most men learn to carry a wallet and not lose it- treat the fob the same way and all will be well.

I frankly cannot think of a reason to move a fob around to different gear, wear it around one's neck on a lanyard or anything else.

Brian

I am with you Brian. I had a left front zipper pocket built into my Motoport for my FOB to live in.... Only take it out when I wash it. Don't go many places on the bike without my Pants. A couple times I stowed them in the side Case and remembered to put it in the pants I wore under the Motoport to walk around. I occassionally use the FOB on the lanyard if I am going out to move the bike from up by the house down to it's place in the back barn and don't get geared up.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt