Author Topic: texting while driving  (Read 18491 times)

Offline blue14

• Arena
Re: texting while driving
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 05:16:27 AM »
People didn't feel as free to interupt you constantly and you had a ready excuse that you couldn't find a phone to respond.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »
People didn't feel as free to interupt you constantly and you had a ready excuse that you couldn't find a phone to respond.

Funny that today I'm very selective about answering my phones both personal and business related as they are usually set to silent ring.... If you want me to call you back leave me a message; otherwise don't waste your time or mine bothering to call. On the other hand if you text or email me I'll usually get back to you as soon as practical.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »
What was so good about having to stop what I was doing and find a phone that I could safely use as my boss full well expected that we return calls to customers within a 20 minute time window?

What was good about it is that people weren't being killed by a distracted driver making that all important text or cell phone call. There will always be distractions while driving, some we can do something about and some we can't. Cell phone use by the driver of the car, any use, is something that we should do something about. I work in a college town and I see dangerous distracted driving every single day. Hell, some of them can’t even walk and talk on the cell let alone drive their damn car.

I agree with Pokey 100%.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
I'm with Pokey 100% on this Cellphone issue. I believe the use of a cellphone while operating a motor vehicle should be penalized the same as DUI.
I've been hit by a cellphone talking driver, she would not get off of the phone until the investigating police officer threatened to lock her up. All of the studies I've read on this issue rank Cellphone usage while driving to be just as bad if not more so than driving while drinking. It makes no difference if the phone is handheld or hands free, it's not the hand that's the problem, it's the brain. I for one cannot understand how any thinking person can think that it's a good ideal to attempt to operate a motor vehicle while talking on a phone and or texting.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »
What was good about it is that people weren't being killed by a distracted driver making that all important text or cell phone call. There will always be distractions while driving, some we can do something about and some we can't. Cell phone use by the driver of the car, any use, is something that we should do something about. I work in a college town and I see dangerous distracted driving every single day. Hell, some of them can’t even walk and talk on the cell let alone drive their damn car.

I agree with Pokey 100%.

Never once did I say that I support cell phone or texting while driving did I? But putting a speed disabling feature in a phone is not an answer by any way shape or form.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
Cell phones contribute to productivity.  I couldn't work from home (unless I was at home) without one.

Couldn't tether my laptop to the internet from anywhere and conduct conference bridge calls from airports and such without a cell phone.

Great devices, and part of 20th century progress.  The US space program may go away, but the world can no longer function without cell phone technologies, and won't have to =) 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
Cell phones contribute to productivity.  I couldn't work from home (unless I was at home) without one.
Couldn't tether my laptop to the internet from anywhere and conduct conference bridge calls from airports and such without a cell phone.

That's all well and good, but there is NO one in the world so important that they need to be using a cell phone in any way while they are operating a Motor Vehicle.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
That's all well and good, but there is NO one in the world so important that they need to be using a cell phone in any way while they are operating a Motor Vehicle.

+1

Yes sir I can't disagree, but I will have to add cell phones are no better or no worse than all the other driving distractions.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
+1

Yes sir I can't disagree, but I will have to add cell phones are no better or no worse than all the other driving distractions.

.......are you being serious Steve? :o Add this to the problem......all the other distractions that are/were around before cell phones, are still around+cells phones!!!! Now do you see my point?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:54:18 PM by T Cro ® »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
+1 on the new PSA campaign.

Hey all, I think this all started with the idea of changing behavior via exposure to graphic representations of mangled flesh.  I agreed with this because I think it is our best shot.  Remember seeing films in school about smoking and black lungs?  I do and it worked on me.  Remember Honda's "Stupid Hurts" campaign?  No need to legislate further or add more electronic nannies. 

On the other hand (pun intended), maybe new drivers should have to pass their driving exams while texting.  Hmmm...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »
.......are you being serious Steve? :o Add this to the problem......all the other distractions that are/were around before cell phones, are still around+cells phones!!!! Now do you see my point?

Yes I agree with "one more".  However, this thread singles out cell phones, and I believe all the distractions deserve equal attention.

I asked my insurance agent why the major insurance companies aren't fighting to have texting banned. She told me "distractions" are 25% of all accidents. To ban texting, we'd have to ban eating while driving, make-up, reading, audio/video in cars, attention to baby seats in the back seat and a lot of other things I can't remember.

Had this thread title been a list of all distractions, I'd have been on board. But it only mentions "texting".

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:12 AM »
 :popcorn:   This is getting good....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 07:35:36 AM »
:popcorn:   This is getting good....

Well if its already getting there I'll refrain from posting in this thread from my bike

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
I thought Hands-Free was when I took both hands off the handle bars so I could text easier. Isn't that what everybody does?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
I thought Hands-Free was when I took both hands off the handle bars so I could text easier. Isn't that what everybody does?

You're sposed to keep your hands on the bars?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
I find I don't have the advanced Ninja skills to balance the bike as I come to a stop so I always have to grab the handle bars then. Otherwise I steer with my butt cheeks because my hands are needed for other things like texting and operating my Playstation Portable. Next week I am taking it into the shop to get my Playstation 3 and 40" big screen installed.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
I find I don't have the advanced Ninja skills to balance the bike as I come to a stop so I always have to grab the handle bars then. Otherwise I steer with my butt cheeks because my hands are needed for other things like texting and operating my Playstation Portable. Next week I am taking it into the shop to get my Playstation 3 and 40" big screen installed.

I'm glad to see that you have your priorities in order!

What seat are you using for that butt cheek steering? I have the Kaw gel and I'm having trouble with left handers for some reason, I keep farting and almost lost it a couple of times.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »
Some drivers can handle distractions better than other drivers.  I generally don't do it anymore because it's now illegal but I personally have no problem with answering a cell phone and talking on it while driving.

I also fly airplanes - the level of distraction while flying an airplane is huge.  You have to watch for traffic, monitor flight instruments and engine instruments, dial up communication and navigation frequencies, monitor navigation systems, make radio calls, read charts, etc... all while flying the airplane, which may or may not have an autopilot to relieve you of that particular task.  Granted, there are fewer things to run in to up there but you also have to take off and land, and workload and level of distraction is far greater during those phases than that of driving a car while talking on a cell phone.  Yet, it generally manages to get done safely.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
I'm glad to see that you have your priorities in order!

What seat are you using for that butt cheek steering? I have the Kaw gel and I'm having trouble with left handers for some reason, I keep farting and almost lost it a couple of times.

I modified a plain steel seat off an old John Deere tractor I found rusting in a pasture. Any type of padding makes for unreliable steering inputs. It also has holes drilled in it so farting is not an issue.