Author Topic: WSBK 2012 Tooele, Utah ride from Texas  (Read 2179 times)

Offline turbohawk

WSBK 2012 Tooele, Utah ride from Texas
« on: January 07, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
Hey guys/gals, Anyone here planning on attending the WSBK (possibly AMA too) at Miller Motorsports park memorial weekend?  My brother and I rode last year and had a blast. If anyone's thinking about it, PM me or leave a post.  We'll be leaving from San Antonio/Austin area. Planning on giving the trip a total of 13 days for a buffer but we usually go there and back within 7 days (Ironbutting it). It's a 3000 round trip if you go the most direct route but we try to stay away from superslabs and big towns and so that adds about 500 more miles but we don't even really notice it.  We combo camp/motel and are flexible here again with the weather (camping in the wet just doesn't have much appeal).

If anyone has camped at or near Tooele please contact me as I have some questions.

Offline rcannon409

Re: WSBK 2012 Tooele, Utah ride from Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »
I'd love to join in, but I'm only about 25 miles from the track.  I've done a LOT of camping out in the west desert, so maybe I cna help there.

There are nto many organized campgrounds, but open area like you wont believe.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: WSBK 2012 Tooele, Utah ride from Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
Definitely check out canyonchasers.net if you are looking for some scenic routes on the way to WSBK that have twisties.

http://www.canyonchasers.net

Some of the canyons will not be open by WSBK, but usually a good number are.  So far we've had a mild winter here in Utah, but we still have a couple of months to go r.e. the snowpack count.

As for camping, there are lots of options.  The Wasatch front isn't that far from Tooele (about 40 minutes), and there are also several campsites to the Southwest of MMP, within an hours ride.

Bring a warm sleeping bag.  Temps can still drop near/below freezing at the end of May (not usually below freezing at night, but it happens, especially if you are at a higher elevation).

The Bonneville Salt Flats (where they do the land speed record thing) are usually still soggy in May - most of the events at this location are later in the year.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.