Author Topic: Cracked frame at shock  (Read 26669 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Cracked frame at shock
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2019, 03:59:56 PM »
A friend sent me info on a early ZX-14 recall.
Problem was very similar to your break.

http://kawasaki.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ZX1400-FRAME-RECALL.pdf

Bottom of page 1 sez;
On some eligible units, the engine mount adjusting collar(s) may be over-tightened at factory, creating excessive stress on weld bead on sides of lower cross pipe of frame. With this condition, if high load is applied in such a way that motorcycle is operated on rough road surfaces or through the potholes, the weld bead on lower cross pipe of frame could crack. Continued use can cause separation of frame, resulting in potential of a crash.

Image on page 6 shows similar crack.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »

Bottom of page 1 sez;
On some eligible units, the engine mount adjusting collar(s) may be over-tightened at factory, creating excessive stress on weld bead on sides of lower cross pipe of frame. With this condition, if high load is applied in such a way that motorcycle is operated on rough road surfaces or through the potholes, the weld bead on lower cross pipe of frame could crack. Continued use can cause separation of frame, resulting in potential of a crash.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks !!!!!   
undoubtedly is a very similar case.
It help me a lot.  My brother live in USA and he is helping me with this.
You know, I can buy a frame at ebay for $300 but the problem here in my country is the serial number.
is different with a brand new frame.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »

Bottom of page 1 sez;

Ride safe, Ted

Now things make sense. I stripped a 2010 last week and I was surprised by the amount of effort it took to loosen that adjuster, given that everything else on the bike undid easily. Probably wouldn't be hard to overtighten one at all.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »
I'm not quite ready to say his was overtightened.
I'm just saying the two are related.
My point is; that area of the frame has failed there before.

He has rough roads, speed, heavy rider, and Tail Raisers.
    (I believe MOB is correct that the Risers increase stress to that area of the frame)
I feel the frame design may be borderline on strength, or maybe the weld on his bike was not quite up to par.

So, my thought is the combination caused the failure...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:51:22 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Freddy

« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2019, 06:54:42 AM »
Having read thru this thread and the ZX14 service bulletin I decided to check my bike today.  I note that the torque on the adjusting collar stated in the bulletin is 15N-m.  This is down from 25N-m in the FSM.  I had the engine out of this bike 2 years ago and followed the FSM torque specs upon reassembly. 

I marked the position of the head of the lower eng mount bolt before I removed the nut on the left side, ensuring that the bolt did not move.  I marked it at the 6 o'clock position.  I then followed the procedure detailed on page 7 of the ZX bulletin.  The head of the bolt finished as shown below when torqued to the lower spec.  Very interesting!  The frame is now less stressed in the weld area.

Crappy photo but you get the idea.

The torqueing procedure requires the eng mount bolt to be turned to the left (undo).  This screws the adjusting collar out of the engine case, forcing the eng to the left side because the head of the collar is now tight against the inside face of the frame on the right side.  To state the obvious - turning the head of the eng bolt turns the adjusting collar as it's 'locked' into it. 

I didn't check the upper adjusting collar as I have T-Rex bars fitted, plus that's not where the point of potential failure is. 

I examined the suspect area thoroughly and found no sign of cracking before starting..

Hi Daisy   :chugbeer:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:30:58 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »

Bottom of page 1 sez;

Ride safe, Ted

WELL THAT'S PRETTY SHOCKING....
Thanks for that link/info....

:yikes: :yikes: :hail: :hail: :goodpost: :goodpost: :thumbs: :salute: :salute:

so far they have not added this to all the rest of the recalls for the ZG1400 Concours

http://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/kawasaki/concours_14/recalls.aspx

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Michelle

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »
I'm not quite ready to say his was overtightened.
I'm just saying the two are related.
My point is; that area of the frame has failed there before.

He has rough roads, speed, heavy rider, and Tail Raisers.
    (I believe MOB is correct that the Risers increase stress to that area of the frame)
I feel the frame design may be borderline on strength, or maybe the weld on his bike was not quite up to par.

So, my thought is the combination caused the failure...

Ride safe, Ted
I'm ready to say overtightened. I have two frames where the adjusters were a lot harder to undo than they should have been. And lookee what I found. Maybe I should have looked harder the first time.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2019, 03:16:47 PM »
I'm ready to say overtightened. I have two frames where the adjusters were a lot harder to undo than they should have been. And lookee what I found. Maybe I should have looked harder the first time.

Im curious why you mentioned the above; did you disassemble and reassemble those 2 bikes?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :banghead: :doh: :doh:

well, I have to apologize again, and say my popcorn tastes like 'crow'...

I'll be checking mine out also, during my oil change this week...

bummer....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »

Wow!  I am glad you checked...

Now I am really wondering if that recall from the ZX shouldn't absolutely apply to the Concours as well.  What year/mileage is that photo?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure that all of us in this forum, have the real intention of
help each other to solve the problems around ours Concours, as well,
to prevent posible inconveniences.

to be honest I have to say that in all these years I have learn a lot trough
all yours post and yours comments.

As far you allow me, i will continue bother here as frequently as possible
and you will have to tolerate my "Terrible english too" .  ;D

Offline Michelle

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2019, 07:12:21 PM »
Im curious why you mentioned the above; did you disassemble and reassemble those 2 bikes?

I bought a crashed gen 2 - lowside, smashed all the front plastic - for the forks. My 08 has done over 170,000km and the crashed one only 40,000. I decided to swap everything into the 08 so I could have traction control and stuff. On Monday we dropped the motor out of the 08 and found the crack. Luckily it hasn't gone all the way around and we've sent it out to be re-welded. Then I will only tighten the collars to 15nm.

I can't use the undamaged gen 2 frame because it was registered in the state of New South Wales and anything written off there can never be re-registered in Australia. That is both a waste and really, really annoying.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:26 PM »
Yeah, that really sucks! Good luck with the rebuild. Good catch on the frame crack, too.

Leo

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
POST REMOVED;
NO LONGER IN CONTACT WITH KAW.

sorry,
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:13:05 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Michelle

« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2019, 12:47:26 AM »
I truly hope you see and understand the dilemma I have with making all these claims to Kawasaki corp, based on all of the variables I am supplied with. If I go to them, and throw this down, and each incident had "issues" as you now describe,(crashed, dropped, i dunno, aftermarket suspension in stalled.. blahh etc.,) it would hold no credit-ability on my part, as I have not seen/owned/touched/examined each and every one of them.. crashed bikes? and now bad frame? I cannot present pristine examples of failures based on any of this..

I wouldn't even bother taking mine to Kawasaki. I bought it secondhand, 7 years old with 60,000km and no history. Then I crashed it. The damage was all bodywork and a string line said it was still straight, so the engine was never removed. Until this thread I never even knew there was an issue with cracking welds. I have ridden it for 3 years and nearly a hundred thousand kilometres since the accident and for all I know, that crack has been there the whole time. I do know that it isn't fresh because there is no clean metal.

I will have it repaired and make sure the collars are not overtightened when I reassemble it. Then I will check on a regular basis to make sure it doesn't crack again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2019, 06:17:43 AM »
I truly hope you see and understand the dilemma I have with making all these claims to Kawasaki corp, based on all of the variables I am supplied with. If I go to them, and throw this down, and each incident had "issues" as you now describe,(crashed, dropped, i dunno, aftermarket suspension in stalled.. blahh etc.,) it would hold no credit-ability on my part, as I have not seen/owned/touched/examined each and every one of them.. crashed bikes? and now bad frame? I cannot present pristine examples of failures based on any of this..

I truly want to make sure we are all covered for the multi thousand dollars we have spent on this bike.. but when it's all on the same page, and EVERY thing is truthfully written up, like a letter, which I intend to read to Kawasaki... don't make me look like a fool.. as if anything is missing, anything at all... you all will be the responsible parties that made my credit-ability with this company worthless.

for the last 12 years, I have endeavored to preclude many issues, and persevered in that "hidden" task... this by far is the most demanding one I will pursue. and mind you, I will do it. but just don't make me look like an ass when I do.

everyone involved with broken frames, p/m me with your email, name, address, and also your vehicle VIN number.. also, if it was bought as a "used bike", everything you know about its past.. anything regarding any services done, which may include some sort of descriptions to "engine/frame" removal, and or replacements and adjustments, all apply also.

you want it.. I'll do it.. but DO NOT LIE to me.

over.

You know, and this is just an observation, if you want people to help get this issue up to Kawasaki Corporate, there's better ways to ask for this information than what you just did in print above. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:19 AM »

I truly want to make sure we are all covered for the multi thousand dollars we have spent on this bike.. but when it's all on the same page, and EVERY thing is truthfully written up, like a letter, which I intend to read to Kawasaki... don't make me look like a fool.. as if anything is missing, anything at all... you all will be the responsible parties that made my credit-ability with this company worthless.

for the last 12 years, I have endeavored to preclude many issues, and persevered in that "hidden" task... this by far is the most demanding one I will pursue. and mind you, I will do it. but just don't make me look like an ass when I do.

everyone involved with broken frames, p/m me with your email, name, address, and also your vehicle VIN number.. also, if it was bought as a "used bike", everything you know about its past.. anything regarding any services done, which may include some sort of descriptions to "engine/frame" removal, and or replacements and adjustments, all apply also.

you want it.. I'll do it.. but DO NOT LIE to me.

over.

I must be missing something? How is it that you feel that this issue falls on you and that it's your responsibility to bring all of this to Kawasaki?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »
I can't use the undamaged gen 2 frame because it was registered in the state of New South Wales and anything written off there can never be re-registered in Australia. That is both a waste and really, really annoying.

Would it be possible to cut the number area out of the bad frame and weld it into the good frame?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
Here is a thought;
The cracked frames that have been discussed, may be isolated cases.
          We have a lot of C-14 owners on the Forums.
        Let's use the Forum's and see if this is a widespread problem.

I suggest that all you who read this discussion, "go inspect your frame".
             Report back here with what you find.
             ie; Tell us if it's Good/bad, miles, and the year of your bike.

I checked mine.
                    Looks fine. 14,000 miles, 2014..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
I must be missing something? How is it that you feel that this issue falls on you and that it's your responsibility to bring all of this to Kawasaki?

It's self importan appointed thing. You probably don't know this Mr. C, but he used to be the tech editor- engineer- PIC .....etc. So don't you
dare lie to him or make him look like an ass.