Author Topic: WTB for 2012 GTR1400 C14 Concours  (Read 4402 times)

Offline catsfive

WTB for 2012 GTR1400 C14 Concours
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:42:47 PM »
Hi there,

I am interested in:

INTERCOM. A very good wired Autocom-level intercom kit. I would prefer VOX, and something that's can handle my radar detector, GPS, and offers Bluetooth for music, but that's not 100% necessary. Really, I just want to talk to my passenger. Bluetooth is finicky and constantly disconnects and I feel like a wired solution will just be plug & play, but I could be wrong. I've spent a lot of today looking and feel like I'm still nowhere. I do have some GMRS radios but I've never thought to use them on a bike. Is that a good option? I want something that's NO FUSS. That's the most important thing. I don't want to be charging or let down on the road.

SLIP-ON? I'm going to have Mr. Guhl flash my ECU. I'm open to keeping the stock muffler (does it suck?) but I could get a slip-on if it's reasonably quiet enough.

TOPCASE. I would also like a matching "candy arabian red" topcase if anyone has one they'd like to sell.

OTHER things I'm looking for:

- RAM mounts
- RAM ball mount for center nut
- Headlight protector
- MCE crash guards, front and back (1410-410, 310?)
- Throttlemeister

Anything else I need to protect and care for this bike?

All the best
Cats

Offline C14lvr

Re: WTB for 2012 GTR1400 C14 Concours
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »
Catsfive,
I realize you mentioned the autocom, but you're listed function desires sound like you might want to consider something like what I use...

Cardo Scala Rider G9 Powerset.
As far as intercoms go, it's the most powerful on the market right now, and works well.
It has a range of one mile, line of sight.

I've been using mine for over a year now, and the intercom works great.
They've recently released a new version called the G9X, which allows you to use your own earbuds instead of the speakers, by providing a mini stereo jack on the back of the unit, music sharing, so a passenger can listen to the same audio source as you, an app so that you can make custom settings from your cell phone instead of having to do it from a computer through the Cardo Community...etc.

You can link up with up to 8 other G9's, and works with all Scalas, regardless of series.

It wirelessly bluetooths with your cell, gps, or other devices.
One important thing... Proper speaker placement inside the helmet is critical to proper volume levels... If you decide to forego the earbuds.
Once you get the speakers placed correctly, and spaced close to your ears, the volume level is more than ample, and sound quality is good. If you were to use earbuds instead, that will give the best sound quality, but you'd have to remember to unplug the earbuds from the G9 unit everytime you remove your helmet, whereas it's totally wireless if you use the speakers.

Might be worth a look.

Can't help with the other things you mentioned.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline catsfive

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
C14lvr, thanks for the reply! I have the G4 units and I'm really hesitant to give them ANY business. I bought the G4's three years ago and Cardo assured everyone that, don't worry, these ones are updatable and we'll keep updating them for you! Three years later and they're still on version 3.0, nothing updates when I check online, no firmware, nothing, even though they're the same unit as the G9. I felt a bit ripped off. You could still be right, maybe the G9X's will do wonders, but frankly, if I have to buy all new hardware, I'll go for the GMRS X1 slims and try those out. Same price from scratch, right from the bottom up, and I might enjoy them. I do get tired of yelling to wake up the G4s VOX after they go to sleep every five minutes.

Cheers
C5

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »
I know what you mean about their promises!
They told me the same thing when I bought my G9powerset.

Buddies of mine were sending their brand new sets out to an individual to have an earbud jack installed.
Other brands began to offer music sharing from one source to both coms... I called Cardo and asked if they planned an upgrade for the G9 that would do that... They said no.
Not long after, they introduced the Q3 that did, and has a jack for earbuds.

The G9X also allows you to download an app to your android phone, and change settings there, instead of having to go online in the Cardo Community. Told no plans to allow a G9 to upgrade to do that. And can't if you have an IPhone... Seriously? Not that it matters much...

Before my G9's, I had the teamset.
Just like you, I got sick of not being able to keep the intercom awake, and having to yell in the mic to get them to reopen. I was told the reason they do that is to conserve battery life.
I guess battery technology improved enough they don't have to do that anymore...?

Good news is, the G9's aren't like that. They link up easily, have great audio levels, the range is amazing (best on the market at one mile) and are impressive, stay open all the time, and will last 10 hrs. on a charge. Love the intercom. A voice also tells you about every 10 minutes when the battery is getting low. That usually goes on for about an hour before it finally dies...but at least you know it's about to happen.

Now, the G9's voice command features are frustrating to me.
While it is the only one I know that allows you to turn music or radio on/off by command and also allows you to go to next track/previous track or next station/last station by voice...it's not as smart and high tech as you might think.
 I have found that it changes more by loop than by artificial intelligence, and understanding the words you say and executing the command...

I've also had to reset mine a few times back to factory default settings.
It seems to get confused easily, then stops obeying voice commands.

After using them for a year, I have to say they have their good and bad points.
Intercoms- good.
VOX commands- fair
Price- way too much.

But, compared to the way I was before I bought them...
Tethered to my cell phone by earbuds... nothing wireless... that was a pain!
No radio...
No VOX... At all...
And an intercom system that only worked within 350'.

So, while the science still isn't perfected yet, it has come a long way.

One trick, most miss at first, is to properly place the speakers in your helmet...and that includes distance spacing to your ears, as well. I used layers of velcro to space them out so they're comfortable, but as close as possible to my ears. Important for volume, bass response, etc.

Also, their competitors are coming on strong!
Uclear (CycleGear) just announced theirs will pair up with everybody else's brand! That's cool.

The market seems to finally be offering up some good choices now.
But I hear what you're saying about Cardo and their failure to keep promises.
Totally agree with ya about that!
Bob
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
Also, catsfive...

I put a Throttlemeister on mine 2 years ago, and, while it's pricey...it's very high quality, looks great, easy to install, and works well.

However, for my type of rides, (long), it was a pain when riding with others who used actual cruise controls. I was constantly having to readjust the throttle setting to keep their pace... Up or down hills.
So, I installed a Rostra CC, and now you couldn't get me to give it up! It's the best thing I ever added to my bike. A lifesaver on long trips, (as well as fuel and tickets!)
Do a search... Lots of threads about them. BDF (Brian Felice) and Fred have some tutorials on how to install one.

As for slipons... You can add about any one you like w/o having to add a PCV or the like...
It's when you do a full system swap that you need a tuner.
(The header has the cat in it...)

If you're on a budget, a carbon fiber Delkevik is a good one.

AreaP's are awesome, but costly.

If I had the bucks... I'd go full system Akropovic!
But... Too much for me.

Lots of threads here on exhaust.

As for a trunk, budget comes into play again.
You can buy a Kawasaki and get it color matched, but costly.

I bought a Bestem T-Box model 929.
Great deal for $75.
Comes with a mounting plate and LED light for that price, too.
I since have replaced my cheesy plastic stock rack with a high quality Phil's rack.
Bought it with a mount that can be configured to work with that trunk...looks SOOOO much better!
Do a thread search for more info.

Hope this was some help.
Good luck with your future farkling!
Bob

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
I use a C3 PRO Schuberth lid with the "SRC" bluetooth system design for that helmet.  Crazy nice but i could've bought another bike for that cost
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
I use a C3 PRO Schuberth lid with the "SRC" bluetooth system design for that helmet.  Crazy nice but i could've bought another bike for that cost

Is that the model that uses the Cardo made intercom?
Heard it works with Scala.

Offline catsfive

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. The educational streak in here is too much! I'm learning a LOT.

Bob, absolutely, Cardo will never, EVER get a penny from me again. Anyone reading this, NOTE THE DATE. You buy a Scala, you're stuck with that Scala for life. Once you're past the cash register, you're dead to this company.  >:(

Offline udoggie

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:27:09 AM »
For what it's worth, on my 2012 C14;

I've had several different BT headsets.  Problems with all of them, and they didn't really do everything I wanted.

I've had an autocom for a year now, and would never switch back.

It's CRAZY EXPENSIVE, but it works solid.

My setup is;
  • Autocom is the hub of my audio universe.  Connected to it are;

• Rider headset via hardwire cable.  (I don't ride 2-up, so don't have the passenger set connected, but it is there.)
  • Cable & PTT button to my Quansheng 2-way radio.  (supports 2m & 70cm ham, FRS, GMRS, and others)
  • Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, which also plays music & syncs to my phone via Bluetooth.
My GPS is on the fritz, and I'm probably going to be replacing it with a cheaper GPS, and then connect the phone and an iPod directly to the Autocomm (It has plenty of channels for audio and automatically prioritizes so if I am on the radio or get a call, it lowers the music volume automatically.  (Not that I take calls while riding!)

Here's a pic of the radio stack that I made for another thread.

-Jeff

Aloha, OR.

Offline catsfive

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
These are excellent replies! Thank you everyone.

Got LUCKY... I now have an Autocom Super Pro 300. I bought it on Kijiji from a woman for $30. Came with everything but the headsets. Then I bought an Autocom Pro Duo Kit 200 for $60, and it came with a pair of headsets. The guy was in a good mood that day and said if I brought over some Coors, he'd install it for me, so that's what we did. Unreal. Works GREAT. Agree with you 100%, after going the BT route and dealing with all that ENDLESS BULLSHIT (never again! NEVER—the crap from China never works, no matter what "features" they promise), I'm done, and it's Autocom all the way. My GF and I can actually TALK now while we ride!

Installed the Throttlemeister, so happy with it, way better than the Kaoko lock that I had on my old bike, decided to go with the "real" thing and am very pleased that I did. The little rubber insert keeps slowly crawling out, so I might need to sort it somehow with some hairspray. Got the new rubber grips, going to put those on today!

I have the throttle tamer, not installed yet, but I can't WAIT to get that snatchy throttle tamed, literally. It's the worst feature on the bike. I'm going to have that professionally installed after looking at the installation threads here, definitely.

Installed the MC canyon bars yesterday and it wasn't TOO bad. Took me 45 minutes of painstaking tightening just to tighten that right-side nut behind the fairing, SHEESH. Really liking the way they look. Going to put some highway pegs on them soon...

Ordering a seat.