Poll

If offered, would you purchase a cup holder for your C-10

Yes, if price is right
12 (54.5%)
No
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: May 28, 2012, 11:07:04 AM

Author Topic: Folding Cup Holder for the C-10 Poll  (Read 5325 times)

Offline squad404

Folding Cup Holder for the C-10 Poll
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
Hi All,

I make a custom cup holder for a bike I used to own.  It's at 1200ltcupholder.com

I have already made one for my C-10 and am thinking of making some and test marketing them.  The picture's below is what's on my bike.  Yes, the first is poor quality due to lighting.  The second is of it closed.  It's the black square thing on the left handle bar (folded up).

Price point should be less than $20 with shipping at about $5.

Thanks, Frank
1986, 30K miles.  Bought from a guy who thought fluid changes only applied to cars

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Folding Cup Holder for the C-10 Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »
 :yikes: :popcorn: :yikes: :popcorn: A cup holder on the beloved C-10.  Thats blasphamy.   Interesting, looks well made  :thumbs:

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline squad404

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
I like my coffee on the way into work.....
1986, 30K miles.  Bought from a guy who thought fluid changes only applied to cars

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
I like my coffee on the way into work.....
I do also. If I get a cup holder I then would have to get a modular helmet.  Hmmmm this just might work
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
Frank, I already have a modular helmet.  I will buy two. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Eddie

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
I have a few of these also, mine are sitting in a drawer though but they look great. Only reason I did not use it is because I used bicycle handle bar mount bottle cages and tapered coffee cup holders on mine.

Eddie
PS When camping and standing around your bike, make sure no one puts there beer in your cup holder so that when you ride off the next morning and pull up to a light next to a police officer he doesn't look over at you with the 3 beers on your handlebars........

Offline squad404

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Hello,

One of the voters requested more photos, so here they are.

And just to be sure we are on the same page; what you see is a prototype, i.e., that's why it's not level, the spacers in the back would not be the same, etc. The cup holder itself (the part that adjusts to cup size and folds up will be the same).  Everything is black so it's hard to get good picks, so I threw a towel in the background hoping it would stand out more.

And this is not a sales pitch.  If duct taping a .49 cent plastic cup holder found on the side of the road works for you; super!  Money is tight nowadays.

I am just testing the waters because I don't want to spend the money on an up charge of setting up machine programs to laser cut the backs at a supplier only to find out they are collecting dust in my garage.

I am waiting for bids to come back on the back plate and hardware.  If I do go in production, there will, of course be a discount for members of this site.

Offline squad404

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
and more...

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »
It's always nice to help a board member out but whats the difference in yours and this one?
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7632&str=4

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline squad404

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
Mine would be better...LOL

Thanks for the info.  I can stop researching it now and move on to my next great idea.

Frank

Offline Tele130

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
Mine would be better...LOL

Thanks for the info.  I can stop researching it now and move on to my next great idea.

Frank

So?, you wouldn't be making these?  The ones posted are for the 1800 Goldwing. And they'll fit our C-10's without modification?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline squad404

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
I'm still waiting for the bid to come back on an aluminum back plate that would be laser cut.  Depending on that, I may.  I may even be able to come in for less of a cost.  I did see it was for the Goldwing. 

I know that the cup holder itself comes somewhat ‘cupped’ (I have 20 in my garage) and will only operate properly if all 4 corner screws are used and secured to a solid object so as to un-flex it.  The back plate shown for the GW is not a full back plate, so I have apprehensions on its performance.

Also, the cup holder shown, if you look close, has two arms that 'rotate' around the cup.  I used to use this type and quickly stopped.  The arms rotation area wears out and loses the strength to hold a cup.  The ones I use now have arms that ratchet back and forth and have proven themselves.

I'll post when I know more.

Frank

Offline squad404

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »
Funny, I just read the reviews on the cup holder posted earlier

http://207.150.204.201/view_reviews.asp?pid=7632&str=4

Looks like others have confirmed what I said.....

Offline squad404

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
Yes, me again...

Just called and got my quote.  I will be making 10 of them for a test run.  Should be about a month or so.  Will post when they are ready.  Will have pics also.

And trust me; the quality will be far superior to that of the GW listed above.  It will have a full back made of 1/8” aluminum with all four corners screwed to the plate.  Hardware will be stainless, so no rust.

Cost, for folks on this site, will be the same as the one listed above at 17.95.  Shipping will be no more than $5.

I will put them on eBay and the web for 19.95.

Thanks tele130 for getting me back to being interested in this.

Frank

Offline Tele130

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
No problem Frank. Please put me in line for one when their available.  :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Eddie

• BANNED
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
I don't think you should waste your time making anything special, these have been around for ages in plenty of different variations.

Here's what I had and have on my connie.

First up is a $.99 cup holder found at any gas station, car wash, walmart, grocery store\pharmacy automotive isle.

Drill two tiny holes, get two zipties, mount to clutch reservoir.

Note I had to remove this once I put the larry buck dash shelf on the bike.

Next, handlebar mounted bicycle bottle cage, about $5 at most bicycle shops or $3 shipped on eBay from china. Has a welded on handlebar clamp that's rubber mounted.

In the center of the above picture is a "topline barhopper" bicycle handlebar mounted CUP holder, I stress cup because it's tapered, perfect for that morning cup of Joe. Cost about $7, or you can buy it through Aerostich for 4 times that price if having an aerostich sticker on it makes you feel better.

Right side is very high tech, first, take a L bracket, drill hole, mount L bracket on the right hand side threaded hole under the cap which once held the mirror for whatever other bike kawasaki had these brake and clutch perches on. The other holes on mos L brackets happen to line up with the holes on mos bottle cages. Then buy any old bicycle bottle cage you please, I chose the Bell expandocage which has a rubber adjustable "belt". So if I want a 64oz gaitorade bottle there I can has my electrolites. Bell bottle cage is a whopping $4 at walmart or $5 shipped on eBay.

Offline squad404

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 07:48:51 AM »
That's the beauty if ingenuity.  Something different for everyone.  Now folks will have one more choice.

My projected launch date has been pushed back due to the passing of a family member.

When I launch, I will post.

Frank

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
:yikes: :popcorn: :yikes: :popcorn: A cup holder on the beloved C-10.  Thats blasphamy.   Interesting, looks well made  :thumbs:

I don't need a cup holder,ash tray,music,CB, etc. I just wanna ride my motorsickle. 8)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline squad404

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
Lot's of things I don't need too.  I was thinking about dumping the electric start, windshield, faring, gas gauge, seat, temp gauge, tach, brakes.  Who needs 'em, just adds weight. Too many creature comforts.  Time to go hard core.   Park on a hill and you're golden.  Gotta keep the headlight though.  Those dang states laws.  Jus