Author Topic: Smell of Gas  (Read 3406 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Smell of Gas
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »
I think it's more than a few, Max.  We've got a Murphy's in Dahlgren where you can buy straight regular gas.   I saw quite a few stations in southwest VA carrying non-ethanol gas.

Just basing it on observation and that site I posted.  Seems half of what is on the site is closed, non-car, or racing fuel, and all of it was very rural (aka "nowhere" to most people).  Never heard of "Dahlgren", had to look it up on a map.... yep.... looks pretty "nowhere" :)

Cost's more and tried it my truck and didn't detect any difference. 

I doubt one will notice any actual difference in ride or performance, only the long-term issues with ethanol ruining equipment and collecting water.... oh and increasing the price of gas.   Ethanol needs to die Die DIE!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
Common in the northern plains.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline katata1100

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »
The best article I read on octane boosters was done by a magazine called sport compact truck or something like that. They used a lab that had an octane tester and measured.
Summary- there are two things that really do improve octane , and I’m not talking about .1 point, more like 3+ points. Of course there is a catch.
Toluene and mmt work!
The amount of improvement was greater with 87 than 91. Still, they can raise 91 to 93 ( I think, going by memory).
However... toluene can slow burn down so much that you can have flame come out exhaust! It can still be burning on exhaust cycle . Use less, it’s fine. It’s also $$$. My local paint shop wanted $20 a gallon, not cheap.
Mmt is magnese. Works great , like lead . Cheap too! But, it can leave deposits on your spark plugs, eventually foul then if over used.
Other additives, like alcohol, are not practical. I’m thinking that rather than using the 91 oct stuff that’s 10% alc, my bike my prefer some 87 oct boat fuel ( no alc in it) with a pint of toulene added. But, the possibility of splashing some toluene on the tank paint is enough to discourage me from doing it.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »
:goodpost:

Yep, that.

(Plus, higher octane gas doesn't have more "oomph" or power.  It is HARDER to ignite than lower octane gas.  Generally, one should use the lowest octane gas that is at or above the manufacturer's specification to get the best performance, mileage, price, and reliability.... but you probably already knew that :) )

:goodpost:  I agree. Anything higher than what is needed is wasting money.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
The best article I read on octane boosters was done by a magazine called sport compact truck or something like that. They used a lab that had an octane tester and measured.
Summary- there are two things that really do improve octane , and I’m not talking about .1 point, more like 3+ points. Of course there is a catch.
Toluene and mmt work!
The amount of improvement was greater with 87 than 91. Still, they can raise 91 to 93 ( I think, going by memory).
However... toluene can slow burn down so much that you can have flame come out exhaust! It can still be burning on exhaust cycle . Use less, it’s fine. It’s also $$$. My local paint shop wanted $20 a gallon, not cheap.
Mmt is magnese. Works great , like lead . Cheap too! But, it can leave deposits on your spark plugs, eventually foul then if over used.
Other additives, like alcohol, are not practical. I’m thinking that rather than using the 91 oct stuff that’s 10% alc, my bike my prefer some 87 oct boat fuel ( no alc in it) with a pint of toulene added. But, the possibility of splashing some toluene on the tank paint is enough to discourage me from doing it.

the older I get, and the more people I see coming up with extreme Chemical Induced Illness', daily, turning them into unproductive health care drains, and just basically sad and sick people.. that once were healthy...I just have to question why anyone would feel the need to, or actually take it upon themselves, to add MORE chemicals, to the sea of poison we all breath everyday...
I'm not being a 'nanny' about fuel as it exists today, I'm sure a lot has been done to reduce the detrimental output of toxins, been living thru this 'exercise in futility' for 5 decades of permutations..(5 decades of fuel revisions, that is). Lead HAS been removed from fuel, and not many of us suffer from that happening... there was a reason for it's removal.
I find it interesting that prior to it's removal, for the better part of the century, right up to the point someone said..."hey, that is toxic.." it was 'OK to have..." and viola, overnight, gasoline changed...  I have a motorcycle that has a catalytic insert in the exhaust, and it IS in there for a reason..

MMT.... 'Magnese' does not appear on my periodic table as an element...( I assume you actually meant 'manganese'.. ) and if if you add the stuff,(MMT), willy nilly, to gasoline,(which is already containing what the 'safe levels' for use are already in it....) under the guise 'it's safe', some thought should be placed in what MMT really consists of...
Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl.. the chemical 'bond' which creates the structure, is the issue, not the manganese...

as for the Toluene, it's extremely funny you noted the price, as it is so cheaply manufactured, it is not even something to be synthesized in a lab condition.. basically it's worth about $0.18 / gallon.... yeah,  :rotflmao:  the 'online costs' vary from pennies to $$$... last can I bought for shop use, ran me about $12/gal. but that was generic 'solvent use', not 'lab quality'.... (i'm sure there is no difference, physically...as the contents did not disclose 'fillers')
as for the 'cost', that has been driven out of the necessity to 'restrict' its purpose for intentional inhalation, for intoxicating effects...( or, and for clandestine drug lab use... ),  not saying it does much to reduce the sale, but as Benzene( now pretty much banned as a toxin), has been pulled, it's use a a common solvent for many industries keeps it in circulation. Al tho I wouldn't add it to fuel either, it has been used in the past in high concentration as a fuel, but it needs to be pre heated to extract it's best properties as a fuel. It's use in Europe has been banned in anything limiting it's content to less than 1% by volume.

I just watched a series about people with chronic health degradation, debilitating in each case, caused by simple everyday contact with things like mold spores, but many of these people had some exposures to 'metals/minerals', in airborne forms, that did in fact contribute to their health issues..
the whole 'chemical dump site' we create daily, even though it may not effect us individually, does add to what the future of everyone living, or not born yet, must endure...
I'm just glad I was lucky enough to be resistant to all the chemicals, and toxic metals/materials I was exposed to thru my life, and hope I never see the effects of them exacerbated before my time is done.. however, unlike biological hazards, (germs, virus', etc.,living organisms,) that thru generations tolerances for them rise, and make the future children more resistant, the toxic chemical footprint, and it's effects, are the complete opposite... the tolerance levels of my grand children, and their grand children, will become soo fragile to the cumulative toxins buildup, that a simple whiff could be fatal.

I'm off the Soap Box, sorry for being a Debbi Downer... if you get dirty looks for farting in a crowded place, just tell them they are lucky it was only a fart... and not a new fuel modification... for more horsepower, to satisfy your desires.

peace,
wear clean undies,
ride safe.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:54:16 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
Damn Rich, been spraying any Round Up lately?  :rotflmao:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
not lately.
still trying to use up all the Pyrethrum Dr. Benway hooked me up with, but the damned Mugwumps keep showing up.. and ruining my buzz... not to mention just how much
they make it difficult to use my keyboard, and sometimes creep me out.

be safe
wear a filter mask,
enjoy.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 02:11:37 PM »
Toluene - definitely a cancer-causing chemical. It has uses in chemical engineering and in other applications, but those messing with it definitely protect themselves.

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90