Author Topic: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review  (Read 31986 times)

Offline tjhess74

Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Fellow Coggers, I don't spend too much time on this forum (no reason in particular), but some of you should remember me from years past. I received my ECU with Steve’s Flash w/decel on Wednesday and  now have a couple days of riding/commuting with it. These are my thoughts and hopefully it helps you to decide if you're on the fence…

BLUF:
A simple and amazing way to rid yourself of the annoying nuances of the C14.  The flash turns a diamond in the rough into a true ‘Gentlemen’s Riding Machine’. It is smooth yet strong,  refined yet eager to give you everything it has.  There is no easier or cost effective way to transform your bike. And suddenly, third gear is actually useful around town and top gear roll-ons work! The ‘Decel’ option to me matches that of the factory decel, but it less abrupt due to smoother throttle responses. Do not dismiss this mod simply because you do not like to go fast.  It is so much more than that!

DETAILS:
About me and my riding style:
I am a very conservative rider, with most of it consisting of city/interstate commuting (including plenty of  rush hour traffic). My bike has taken me around the U.S. and enjoys trips to the mountains. It primarily lives below the 4,000 RPM range, though.  Every once and a blue moon, I’ll feel giddy and run her up to redline.  Otherwise, I’m not very picky about the technical aspects of my machines. All I ask is that they do what they are supposed to do; get me from point A to point B, reliably.  With that said, I was satisfied with my pre-flash C14, which I purchased new in ’08 after having traded in my C10.   Up to that point, I was pretty happy with the C10 as well.  The C14 proved to be the fastest and most technical bike I have ever owned, but as with any vehicle, there are things I love and things I would change.  The things I didn’t care for about the  C14 I assumed I would always have to live with.  Boy, was I wrong! I tinkered with the idea of pulling the secondary flies and getting a PCV, but I just couldn’t chance damaging the engine or voiding the warranty with a mechanical alteration.

Things I didn’t like about the pre-flash C14 performance:
-The off-idle hesitation drove me nuts!  It made low speed maneuvering annoying and dangerous. More than once, I would be in a slow, full lock turn and hit that stumble which would nearly cause me to drop the bike. 
-Low RPM range performance. The engine would shake and shudder in protest with even the slightest input below 3500 RPM’s. As most of us know, the bike needs a lot of downshifting when in the low range.
-’Snatchy’ on/off throttle. Although I adjusted to it, it was still quite annoying.
-Upper RPM range. While I rarely used it, I still enjoyed an occasional tug on the shoulder sockets as I held on tightly.  However, I always knew there was more power hiding in there just waiting to be unleashed.  It’s too closely related to the ZX14 to not have more in store.
-Fuel economy.  Ok, I didn’t exactly have a problem with it.  I consistently get 39-43 MPG’s, which is fine.

Starting C14 post-flash and quick ride:
I did not disconnect my battery for removing/installing the ECU.  Upon starting it, she fired right up and slowly climbed to 2,000 RPM.  The engine maintained that speed for about 30 seconds, right about the time the first bar on the temp gauge illuminated.  After that, it settled down to normal idle and I went for a quick ride around the neighborhood.  At first, I’ll admit I was a little under whelmed. I could tell there was an improvement in shifting smoothness and throttle abruptness, but it hadn’t really sunk in yet on such a short ride. It is when you spend some time on this bike under your usual riding circumstances where it really starts to hit you!

First couple of commutes:
I experienced the same 2k RPM cold idle, which Steve says is normal.  I always wait to ride until the first bar on the temp gauge lights up,  so it just gets there a bit quicker now. The off idle stumble never reared its ugly head! IT'S GONE FOREVER! The shifting was still buttery smooth…I was not dreaming! In-town stop and go riding is so much more tolerable now.  The smoothness of the shifting, the gentle on-off throttle, and the improved low-end grunt/traffic/low speed handling is so much easier. On the way home one day, I ventured off of the beaten path and found a good open area to test the upper RPM range.  HOLY CRAP! I did not expect the pull that I experienced!  As I suspected, there was more power hidden in this engine.  With a quick downshift and a twist of the wrist, I was at triple digits nearly instantaneously.  I slowed down and then performed a 6th gear roll on. The bike responded  respectfully and powerfully, offering nothing but responsiveness and a rising speedo needle with no hint of protest.

Specifics:
-4k RPM and below-the fussiness and shudder of low speed rolls-ons in too high of a gear are at thing of the past.  If you need a lot of power to accelerate quickly, you should still downshift to avoid burdening the engine.  However, any moderate acceleration needs (ie; normal traffic, freeway on ramp merging, passing) can easily be handled without downshifting.  You can easily shuttle around town in third gear all day long. Low speed maneuvering is much easier now...have I mentioned that already?!

-4k RPM and above-have I said HOLY CRAP yet?! The bike was fast before, but it’s fast and smooth to a whole new level now.  You can feel it pull harder than it ever has before. Be aware of your front wheel’s elevation…you have been warned! 
>:D

-Shifting is made so much easier due to the gentleness of the throttle opening/closing.  I believe any passenger would be pleased with the smooth shifts due to softer throttle inputs. I can not emphasize enough to you how smooth Steve made the shifting. Seriously.

-Throttle inputs (speaking of) are no longer ‘snatchy’ or abrupt.  It now requires less operation of the throttle to perform a shift, which ties back into the previous item of them now being smoother.  It’s a beautiful symbiotic relationship…

-Decel. To me, the rate of decel with that option is unchanged compared to stock.  The perception of there not being as much decel could be due to how smoothly the throttle closes.  For me it’s perfect and engine braking is equal to that of the factory flash.

-Fuel mileage.  I haven’t completed a full tank yet, but if the numbers on the display are any indication, there will be a considerable bump in economy! My DTE, Current, and Average figures are pretty accurate, historically. With that said, there was a huge increase in reported economy.  With a fresh tank, my DTE showed “264(+)”. I have not seen that high of a number prior to this. My reported Current MPG at TRIPLE DIGIT SPEEDS (106 indicated) was low 40’s! Seriously?! The number for constant  throttle at 75 MPH was showing 54 MPG! I’ve only ever seen that before with a tailwind. Temps were in the upper 50’s/low 60’s F. My second day of commuting was much colder (40’s F), so the number were a little lower.

Steve's customer service:
Second to none. Period.  Upon you contacting him, he sends you a detailed email that tells you everything you need to do. He is very quick to respond to your questions, both on here and via email.  I never spoke to him on the phone, but I'm sure he'd answer if you called!  He stays in contact to let you know when he has finished and shipped your ECU.

Summary:
It is beyond my comprehension why Kawasaki could not do this to our bikes from the start.  There is so much potential, power, and politeness to be had, but they robbed us of it. Enter Steve…his only fault is that he took so long to give us this gift! The President should appoint him Czar of the Bureau of Power and Energy Conservation. This mod is truly for everybody; the speed freaks and the Sunday putters alike. It makes the bike compliant, yet commanding. Polite, yet powerful. Low speed maneuvering and in-town manners are remarkable due to the improved low-end power and smooth throttle inputs The unleashed power up top is stunning, to say the least. All of this and improved fuel economy; the cherry on top!

Steve should name the flash ‘Perfection’, or perhaps ‘Bliss’. Oh wait, he did…Shoodaben!  Thank you Steve!   :chugbeer:
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 08:49:55 PM »
Fellow Coggers,
I realize you probably pasted this from the "other" forum... but many of us here aren't "coggers"... just sayin'  (but no offense taken by me, anyway).

I don't spend too much time on this forum (no reason in particular), but some of you should remember me from years past. I received my ECU with Steve’s Flash w/decel on Wednesday and  now have a couple days of riding/commuting with it. These are my thoughts and hopefully it helps you to decide if you're on the fence…
Thanks for the detailed review!

There is so much potential, power, and politeness to be had, but they robbed us of it. Enter Steve…
Let's not overdo it...  Actually, enter Ghul, then enter Steve.  Ghul's flash very effectively gave responsiveness, power and wiped away most of the hesitation and dead spots.  However, it doesn't do anything for smoothness, snatch, or economy (not that I can tell, anyway).... all things that Steve apparently has addressed for that extra-special deliciousness!

His only fault is that he took so long to give us this gift!
Good things come to those who wait :)

Unless, of course, you have uber super mad skillz and do it yourself first  http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours-14/kawasaki-1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours-14-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
I realize you probably pasted this from the "other" forum... but many of us here aren't "coggers"... just sayin'  (but no offense taken by me, anyway).
Thanks for the detailed review!

I must be getting old.  I missed that one.  :doh:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 07:15:43 AM »
Nice review TJ!

Dammit, after all the praise I've seen here and at the COG site I guess that I'm going to have to get this flash. The wife won't want me spending the dough though, she doesn't have to know does she?   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
A SWMBO proof mod.  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
Ah yes, upon thinking about it I can see how the word "Coggers" isn't exactly the right term, but you know what I mean! The review is actually a copy/paste from a Word document which was posted on each site within minutes of each other (Semantics, I know!). But I knew that the Flash is being discussed on both so I wanted to let both sides of the fence know my thoughts on it.

I have no special skills when it comes to computers and electrical bits, so doing this myself was less than advisable!  :o  There is no mention of the Guhl flash in my review because I have no experience with it.  I didn't consider it as an option because the reviews I read weren't persuasive enough for me to cough up the cash.  Steve's flash was also not a consideration until I started seeing consistency in the reviews.  Even after mulling it over for quite a while, I was taking a chance on achieving the same results. That leads me to the point of my review...it truly does deliver on what Steve and others are all saying, so for the many that I know are on the fence, this should be your push to the Flash-side!  ;D

My wife knows I did it, but I have smartly not mentioned cost and she has smartly not asked!  :-X
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:35:28 AM »
tj, thanks for posting here. Some of us are bi-forum others not so much.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »
Bi, eh?  :rotflmao:   Not that there's anything wrong with that...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Bi, eh?  :rotflmao:   Not that there's anything wrong with that...

If your a chick   ;D
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
tj, thanks for posting here. Some of us are bi-forum others not so much.

LOL- I am definitely not bi
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
LOL- I am definitely not bi

That still leaves 2 possibilities.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »
Nice review TJ!

Dammit, after all the praise I've seen here and at the COG site I guess that I'm going to have to get this flash. The wife won't want me spending the dough though, she doesn't have to know does she?   ;)

If you can squirrel away a few bucks here and a few coins there, she may not find out.

Until you hammer the throttle and she flips off the back. (smoothly, of course)  :o  ;)  :P  :-X

8)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »
Only 2? Why limit yourself?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:04:34 PM by Deziner »
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
That still leaves 2 possibilities.

Actually, it leaves 3 (generally speaking, there are 4....  heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and asexual)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
Actually, it leaves 3 (generally speaking, there are 4....  heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and asexual)
That's all? Then why do the sheep still run scared?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
That's all? Then why do the sheep still run scared?

Eeeeeew.  Talk about thread degeneration!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
Eeeeeew.  Talk about thread degeneration!
I see what you did there.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »
I see what you did there.

Eew brother. ::)  :banghead:

...., and asexual)
..And just why are we talking about my wife in this thread?  :P
------------------------------------------------------

Thank you tj hess for the review!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »
If you can squirrel away a few bucks here and a few coins there, she may not find out.

Until you hammer the throttle and she flips off the back. (smoothly, of course)  :o  ;)  :P  :-X

8)

Bitch be gone then.