Author Topic: Broke the TPMS when changing my rear tire, question on installing a new one  (Read 4312 times)

Offline kirmaniac

Yeah I forgot to watch out for the TPMS on the inside of the rim and broke it while changing the rear tire. Has anyone installed one of these? It looks as though the outer part threads into the sensor body and that is the way it seals air. So, I need a new TPMS and it looks to cost ~$145 + shipping online. Once I get the new sensor, do I have to have it synched to the dash computer? Like a lot of people I don't like taking my bike to the dealer (and it is winter time now) so if I get a sensor and install it can the dealer synch it at a later date or do they need information from the sensor before I install it?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I have removed and replaced them several times in the process of changing tires, it actually says to do this in the manual instructions for tire changing. There is a single allen head bolt.  There is a torque valus but I have not found a way to effectivley use a torque wrench inside the tight confines of a partially mounted tire. I just tighten until I cannot prevent the outer stem from rotating by hand. The TPS WILL rotate with hand pressure after installing. I recommend orienting the square end to the direction of travel.

A new TPS will have to be registered to the bike computer with equipment at the Kawasaki dealership, called "KDS3" or something. The TPS does have a number on it which I think is required for this procedure, so be sure to record it  before you install it.  Some dealers may not be familiar with the proedure. Someone posted the instructions here. I can probably find it on my hardrive if you want it. It would be good to know in case your mechanic doesn't.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline So Cal Joe

There is a number on the sensor, the dealer needs that to synch it to your bike, so copy it down before you put the tire on the rim.They have to do it on their computer so I doubt if you can do it yourself. I had 2 replaced in my front tire, only about 5 minutes for them to synch it to the bike, the seat comes off and they hook up a cable and punch the number of the unit into the computer and your on your way.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline CrashGordon

It's a good time to go to a right-angle valve stem. I know there are some out there that work with this TPMS.

Offline kirmaniac

I like the idea of a 90 degree valve stem, does anybody know of where I could get one that would be the right size to work with the sensor body?

Offline Conrad

I like the idea of a 90 degree valve stem, does anybody know of where I could get one that would be the right size to work with the sensor body?

Here you go.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=417

See the attachment below for some info on using the KDS3 for registering the TPM with the bike.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Actually, if you buy the sensor and have it shipped to your house, the registration number for that unit is noted on the plastic sleeve the sensor comes in.  Make sure you keep that for registering or re-registering.  Just didn't want you to see numbers on the actual sensor and throw away the packaging which of course means you just threw away 145 bucks.

There is a number on the sensor, the dealer needs that to synch it to your bike, so copy it down before you put the tire on the rim.They have to do it on their computer so I doubt if you can do it yourself. I had 2 replaced in my front tire, only about 5 minutes for them to synch it to the bike, the seat comes off and they hook up a cable and punch the number of the unit into the computer and your on your way.
T.S.R.