Author Topic: New bike, need some advice/help on some basic things  (Read 3193 times)

Offline dxr

New bike, need some advice/help on some basic things
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
i just picked up a 2014 Concours 14, and i've got a couple real basic questions about it.   

1)  there is a screw hole in the bottom of the glovebox, but when i pulled the fairing piece w/ the box, there was just an open hole under it, is there supposed to be a grommet or something there?

2) Im missing 2 or 3 of the rubber grommet pieces that the  innerfairing screws go into on the upper fairing, wheres a cheap place to source them?

3)  the Previous owner wired in a garmin mount, and it appears to be hardwired into a wire cluster in the left side of the fairing in front of the glove box. whats the best way to remove this?   cut the wires and cap them?  it appears to be hooked to some stock circuit? (photos attached)

4) i have this odd round disc bolted around the gas cap, no idea what its for, any ideas? (see photos)

5) Whats the best option for fairing protection?  (crash bars/sliders/etc?)

6)  Are there any options for raising the seat slightly or lowering the pegs about an inch?

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
Re: New bike, need some advice/help on some basic things
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:12:29 AM »
Welcome!

I can help with some of those.

1) It looks like the brass thread has come out of the wellnut. That will be a larger one than the fairing screws.

2) Ebay. Buy a box of them and only screw them up gently. Genuine ones are pricey.

3) They are the factory accessory wires. It is safe to just unplug them.

4) That's a tank bag fitting.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Z0rr0n

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 01:34:35 AM »

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Kawasaki/GTR1400_Concours/2016/AB0002BK/

I just got these installed on my 16 model.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 02:04:20 AM »

[rg-racing AB0002BK]

Interesting.  Haven't seen those before.  Too bad it looks like they are only front/side and no rear option.  I have the MC Enterprises Canyon Cages front and rear, which I think look better (and protect bags too).  Unfortunately, they have closed down production, so it is nice to see alternatives for other and new owners.

Looks like Revzilla did or will carry them https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-adventure-bars-kawasaki-concours-2010-2015  Same with Twisted Throttle: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-adventure-bars-kawasaki-gtr1400-concours-12
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dxr

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »
Welcome!

1) It looks like the brass thread has come out of the wellnut. That will be a larger one than the fairing screws.

2) Ebay. Buy a box of them and only screw them up gently. Genuine ones are pricey.

4) That's a tank bag fitting.

That's what I need to know.  How important is that glovebox wellnut?  My bike doesn't have anything under there, just a frame piece with a hole which I'm guessing was supposed to house it.

Are the wellnuts/ rubber grommet nuts a fairly standard size?

Also, i want to get a slightly louder exhaust, nothing too obscene, but more than stock.  Is delkevic a decent brand for that?

Finally, is there any consensus on what's the best LED headlights?  I had upgraded my old Harley to LEDs, and after having that for years, normal halogens just don't cut it for me anymore

Offline Michelle

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:50:48 AM »
The bottom corner of your 3rd pic shows a wellnut in the bracket. Our 2010 is a salvage and the glovebox was already undone, so I can only guess that it screws in there. The small hole forward of that is threaded and I thought it went in there. I won't know for sure until our new fairing piece arrives and we put it back together. I do know that it will rattle if the screw is missing.

My bike has ZX14 headers and a pair of oval stainless Delkevics. I would have preferred something a bit throatier, but I like them and the price was good.

I have a pair of these LEDs. They need loctite to make sure the adjustment stays put. Aside from that they are reasonable as a headlight at night - but during the day nobody can say they didn't see you. Best DRL I ever saw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-H4-9003-HB2-160W-16000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-Hi-Lo-Power-Bulbs-6500K-Light/113187344183?epid=6005902335&hash=item1a5a7dcf37:g:~CAAAOSwxHJbaVOe

Offline katata1100

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
I got a big bag of those plastic rivets from cycle gear for around $5.
I bought my bike new and it also had that hole in the glove box with nothing in it.
While installing my mccruise ( all the fairing crap was removed ) I sourced a screw and I think one of those thread clips and assembled as such. The difference is that that piece of plastic trim ( that big black thing that holds the glove box) fit closer/ better to the upper fairing.
I’ve never seen that gas tank ring, I guess its sort of a gas tank bib?
If they garmin thing isn’t hard wired , just replace with your phone charger cord.
Buy a Bluetooth helmet for around $200 from Cycle gear and you’ll love it.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »
The Delkevic's are a great deal vs the other brands. Others are far more expensive and performance seems to be about the same.
To keep it quiet get the 18" long slip-on. Delk. has recently came out with a full system if your more adventuresome. Less that 1/2 the cost of other systems. {approx; $400 -$500 dependent on which muffler you choose}

Ride safe, Ted

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 10:17:32 AM »

6)  Are there any options for raising the seat slightly or lowering the pegs about an inch?

You can get lower pegs from Murph. There are other options, someone may chime in, but these are available and are good quality.
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=401&osCsid=800pHkVGH5mIDCWWOlmF2

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »

I like the looks and it's too late to get new Canyon Cages. Do you have to remove the bars to take the fairing off?  Thanks.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »
dxr, I realized that you said; you just picked up the bike.
I highly suggest; Before you change anything, {particularly seat/footpegs/handlebar location} ride the bike and get used to it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 03:22:55 PM »
I like the looks and it's too late to get new Canyon Cages. Do you have to remove the bars to take the fairing off?  Thanks.

With the Canyon Cages, it is possible to cut on the tabs that holds the "fins" together and with some effort, get that part of the fairing on and off without removal of the bars.  Looking at the R&B bars, they are going through the same area.  But I can't tell if that cut would allow manipulation enough because the R&B has a VERY different shape and is much further back in the fins.  Curious what Z0rr0n's thoughts are on it, but I would guess the answer is "no- bars have to be removed".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dxr

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
dxr, I realized that you said; you just picked up the bike.
I highly suggest; Before you change anything, {particularly seat/footpegs/handlebar location} ride the bike and get used to it.

Ride safe, Ted

Im not planning to change anything major until August, i just like to obsessively research my options for weeks in advance

Offline O.C.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »
For a louder exhaust then consider an Akrapovic which is excellent although pricey, alternatively a Two Brother system will work but you will need to fit their exhaust tip/sound moderator else it will be LOUD    ;) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline dxr

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
Welcome!

Do i plug them together, or cap em off once I've removed the gps?

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 02:45:41 PM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 03:45:45 PM »
Do i plug them together, or cap em off once I've removed the gps?

no, no, no.....
 that is a silly question, but NO...
just unplug the 2 connections, and leave them lay, or wrap them in tape if you wish...  think about it... you have 2 12v wires there, one is Pos+ one is Neg-.... pluging them together is like connecting a wire between both posts on a battery.. you will burn the bike down.

I really hope you read this before you even do what you were thinking, .. and, I can't fathom thinking that at all anyways.. but... people with out .... do .. odd things....

And, if you did connect them together, and nothing "happened"... and thought, "ok, cool"...(which with the bike Off, would be normal)  and then, turn the bike on, and hit the start switch, energizing that circuit....  "Puffff"" and the "magic smoke" is released from the wire...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:33 PM »
Gas tank ring is for a Givi tanklock bag. I have one on my other bikes and just installed it on my C14. My C14 is fairly new to me and I have not had it long. Just installed R&G bars. My bike was ex-police and already had the MC enterprises bars on the rear but the front ones had been removed.

Offline dxr

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »
no, no, no.....
 that is a silly question, but NO...
just unplug the 2 connections, and leave them lay, or wrap them in tape if you wish...  think about it... you have 2 12v wires there, one is Pos+ one is Neg-.... pluging them together is like connecting a wire between both posts on a battery.. you will burn the bike down.

I really hope you read this before you even do what you were thinking, .. and, I can't fathom thinking that at all anyways.. but... people with out .... do .. odd things....

And, if you did connect them together, and nothing "happened"... and thought, "ok, cool"...(which with the bike Off, would be normal)  and then, turn the bike on, and hit the start switch, energizing that circuit....  "Puffff"" and the "magic smoke" is released from the wire...

Every machine is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough!

Offline Michelle

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
The positive wire is the one with the plastic shroud over it - so it can't touch anything and the bare one is an earth. It comes from the factory with them dangling like that, just hidden inside the big rubber boot.
There is also another pair just like them under the rear seat, near the ECU.

Its OK MOB. He says he is only researching at this stage. He won't do anything silly until August.  ;)