Author Topic: Valve Shim Calculator  (Read 4540 times)

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
Valve Shim Calculator
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »
While rummaging through my computer files I found a Shim calculator for all four Japanese motorcycle brands that I acquired in late 2009.  I don't remember it at all.  Can't say where it came from nor can I find any evidence of its existence anywhere on the Internet.  It utilizes two languages, fortunately one of them is English while the other is as indistinguishable as Greek or Russian with an alphabet I do not know.  It shows the Union Jack to select the English version and a flag for its native language that I cannot find while perusing all of the flags of the various nations. 

I have yet to use it, but after inserting various measurements and using it to calculate the shim requirements for those measurements I think the program has merit and will be useful.  The next time I do a valve adjustment (very soon) I will give it a try and then be able to offer valuable feedback.

The three pictures below show it in use with just a couple of #1 cylinder calculations to give an approximation of its capabilities.  As stated above, I have no idea where I got it or where one can find it.  If anyone would like to have it for experimentation or use, send a request via email to pseudonym@sysmatrix.net and I'll send it to you as an attachment.  Specify either .rar (284 KB) or .zip (366 KB) as I have both.

The pictures show Honda but there is an option for the other three Japanese brands as well as the shim sizes.

I JUST LEARNED FROM JIM PAVLIS THAT THE PROGRAM CAN BE OBTAINED FROM:  http://vicdzen.narod.ru/main_eng/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:21:22 PM by BudCallaghan »
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline Huero

Re: Valve Shim Calculator
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
Thanks for this info. Sure makes things a lot easier. Anyone have any problems down loading this program?

Thanks,
Huero

Taff

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
Nice, I was looking for this instead of writing them down  ;D

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »
I must be blind.  I didn't see either Concours model listed under the Kawasaki heading.  Also, I'm not sure I trust someone to write a decent program when every other word is mispelled on the front page. 

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
I must be blind.  I didn't see either Concours model listed under the Kawasaki heading.  Also, I'm not sure I trust someone to write a decent program when every other word is mispelled on the front page.

You're not blind.  This program was created in Russia and probably lists the bikes using the shims of the sizes listed that were known to the author.  From what I know of Russia, they don't have a ready supply of various makes and models that we enjoy.  However, it really doesn't matter what model or make is listed as the program simply calculates shim sizes and clearance requirements.  To verify its accuracy all you have to do is perform a few simple shim and clearance requirement tests manually and compare your results with those supplied by the this simple calculating program.  As for the spelling errors, try translating what you write into Russian where even the alphabet is different and see if you can come up with an error free document.   
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »
I played around with this, but the shim sizes don't go below 2.50mm, and all of the shims in mine are in the 2.2x to 2.3x range.  If you select one above the smallest size in the pull down, it will let you enter your own size, but when you click somewhere else, it overrides it with 2.50mm.

I'm guessing my shim sizes are typical, so I don't see how this will work for the C14.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250