Author Topic: C10 Canyon Cage...  (Read 5472 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
C10 Canyon Cage...
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that we've decided to design a Canyon Cage and Saddle Bag Guards for the C10. We've been getting more and more calls for guards for this bike and we finally have enough time to bring a bike in and get something made up. We have a bike lined up that we're going to be bringing in on Monday. I just wanted to get a feel for how many people would be interested in guards for this bike and have you guys keep your eyes open for the Build Thread that we normally do with you guys when designing these parts!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Bikenagain

Re: C10 Canyon Cage...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
I know of several people who will be interested across the pond in Australia. Any chance of posting your progress on the sister site over here - GTR-Aus

Offline throb

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:50:48 AM »
I would certainly be interested in the canyon cages, particularly if highway pegs can/could be mounted to them!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »
I know of several people who will be interested across the pond in Australia. Any chance of posting your progress on the sister site over here - GTR-Aus

I'm sure I could make that happen!

I would certainly be interested in the canyon cages, particularly if highway pegs can/could be mounted to them!

We'll be using 1" steel tubing like we do for our other, more recent Canyon Cages so it'll be very easy to mount and adjust highway pegs if that's your prerogative.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:09:29 AM »
Sounds good to me, what about European shiping?

Offline cpmracing

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
Very interested ! Any idea on prices ?  8)
Brian
99 Connie. 62k and counting
Quarter Midget racing, Disney World going nut cases.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »
Sounds good to me, what about European shiping?

Just like our other products, we will be able to ship these internationally. However, I won't know the estimated international shipping costs until we get the part designed and I know the approximate size/weight.

Very interested ! Any idea on prices ?  8)

It's difficult to estimate MSRP until we get the bike in our shop (which is now happening Tuesday of this week!) and really see what we're getting into but I'm assuming the cost will probably be in line with our other Canyon Cages. They'll most likely end up in the $250-$300 MSRP range. However, we'll be conducting a Group Buy at the end of the prototype and design phase so, depending on how many participants there are, you guys will save an extra 10-20% off of the MSRP on your sets.  8)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
Geez...OK...I'm listening... ;)...are you thinking for all model years?
'02 C-10

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
Something I considered making/having made was a pair of 'skid bars', which would mount where Murph's tip over bars mount now, but would be solid steel strips instead of the bars.  I figured I'd include a 'crossover' bar that would screw into the upper front mounts for the side fairings.  That way, if the bike was at speed, the front crossover bar would resist the tendency of the bars to bend backwards when they hit pavement.

Kinda hard to explain, but imagine two 1/2" flat, 2" or so wide steel strips in a 'v' configuration to either side of the fairing, angled to land parallel with the pavement when the bike goes over on it's side, with tubes/strips extending from the engine mounts and the front fairing mounts, inside of the steel strips.  The crossover bar would wrap in front of the radiator, utilizing the fairing mounts.  Again, to resist tearing/bending forces when the steel strips hit pavement at speed.  Essentially, six points or more of attachment to the frame (3 per side).

I figured I'd secure the strips to the mounting bars with lynch pins or some such, to allow you to remove the steel strips easily (you still would need to unbolt the crossover bar attached to the front fairing mounts though), so that you could easily remove the side panels without having to unbolt the skid bar mounts.

I never did get around to making this, and my fairings have paid the price.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Geez...OK...I'm listening... ;)...are you thinking for all model years?

Well, what I've heard here in the C10 section of this forum is that one style guard should fit all years except for probably 1986. However, I don't like to count my eggs before they hatch so I'll have to look into this a bit more before I know exactly what years the guard will fit. The bike we're bringing in is a 1998 so I'm nearly positive the guard will fit the "newer" model that I believe was made from 1996 - 2006. For years before that, though, I'd really like to get confirmation before promising anything.

Something I considered making/having made was a pair of 'skid bars', which would mount where Murph's tip over bars mount now, but would be solid steel strips instead of the bars.  I figured I'd include a 'crossover' bar that would screw into the upper front mounts for the side fairings.  That way, if the bike was at speed, the front crossover bar would resist the tendency of the bars to bend backwards when they hit pavement.

Kinda hard to explain, but imagine two 1/2" flat, 2" or so wide steel strips in a 'v' configuration to either side of the fairing, angled to land parallel with the pavement when the bike goes over on it's side, with tubes/strips extending from the engine mounts and the front fairing mounts, inside of the steel strips.  The crossover bar would wrap in front of the radiator, utilizing the fairing mounts.  Again, to resist tearing/bending forces when the steel strips hit pavement at speed.  Essentially, six points or more of attachment to the frame (3 per side).

I figured I'd secure the strips to the mounting bars with lynch pins or some such, to allow you to remove the steel strips easily (you still would need to unbolt the crossover bar attached to the front fairing mounts though), so that you could easily remove the side panels without having to unbolt the skid bar mounts.

I never did get around to making this, and my fairings have paid the price.

Ahhh, I have a pretty clear picture of what you're describing. However, we've come to find that using flat stock sort of cheapens the look of the guard (although, a flat black powdercoat finish would really help the guard blend in and disappear against a darker-colored bike) and has a tendency to catch rough asphalt on the edges which can actually worsen a tip-over rather than help. That's actually why we normally use round tubing for our sport-touring guards. The tough, round tubing slides much easier on rough surfaces than other styles of metal stock. Either way, we'll be sure to create a guard that does not have a tendency to fold or bend when the bike is dropped.

We have a lot to live up to with our previous Canyon Cages being so well-made and popular but we won't consider the project complete until we have a product we're (and hopefully you guys!) are truly confident in and happy with. We have the bike for a good 2-3 weeks so we can fit up and test a few different iterations, I'm hoping, and see what you guys like best. The whole point of the build threads I invest so much time in is to get your guys' opinions and comments on certain design aspects of the guard so we can end up with a final product that was literally shaped by and designed for this specific community. I look forward to working with you all!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
Well you guys manage to make tubular look cool, so I imagine it'll look great on the Connie (C10) as well!

One of the reasons I didn't go with Murph's bars is that the tip over bars looked too 'Harley-ish'...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
Well you guys manage to make tubular look cool, so I imagine it'll look great on the Connie (C10) as well!

One of the reasons I didn't go with Murph's bars is that the tip over bars looked too 'Harley-ish'...

Yea, I can definitely see what you mean. Their oval shape gives them the aesthetic of an engine guard for a cruiser. We'll most likely go the 3 or 4-point cage route (whether it's 3 or 4 mounting points really depends on the availability of sturdy mounting spots as well as the design and look of the bar itself) for the C10 similar to our guards for the C14 and FJR1300. Not only does it add strength and additional places to mount highway pegs or auxiliary lighting but its also a bit more fitting for sport-touring bikes aesthetically, I think.

• MC Enterprises
Re: C10 Canyon Cage...:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
We picked the bike up yesterday! So, we'll begin design/prototyping on Monday. I'll make a new build thread once we get to work so those of you who are interested can post comments and opinions regarding the design of the bar. It seems like people, even those not necessarily interested in purchasing the part, love to offer opinions/ideas as to how to improve the aesthetics and/or functionality of the guard and watch the product develop based on those ideas. So, keep an eye out for that come Monday!