Author Topic: got a fenda extenda coming from  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Dan

got a fenda extenda coming from
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
Murphs,,

Bike is gettin there now...

Offline Gitbox

Re: got a fenda extenda coming from
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
Just glued mine on yesterday with ABS cement. Looks spiffy.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
Where did u get the ABS cement?

Need to get some fender should be here tomorrow...

Gonna take the front wheel off...
ltr
Dan

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:22:35 AM »
Where did u get the ABS cement?
Any good hardware store has ABS cement. Do not get the cement that does it all or any other cements. Just plain and simple ABS cement.
I removed the fender (easy to do ) roughed up both sides with a fine grit sand paper and applied glue and  held them together with tape and something heavy over night. The 2 pieces will in effect be 'welded' together forever.

From  Murph' website:    While the best installation results will occur by removing the fender, it is an operation that can be done with it in place also. Clean under the back lip of the stock fender, using paint thinner or alcohol. Give the Murphs' Fender Extender a good swipe of ABS glue, let it set for about 45 seconds, then stick it to the fender. The unit is pretty much “stuck" after one minute of holding in place. For best results clamp the pieces together overnight. Full cure time is 24 hours.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
I got the ABS cement from Lowes. I think it was about $3.

I cleaned and roughed up the mating surfaces a little, coated it with cement and clamped it into place. I think the label said 2 hours to cure but I left it on overnight since it was rainy anyway. Looks totally stock.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
While the best installation results will occur by removing the fender, it is an operation that can be done with it in place also. Clean under the back lip of the stock fender, using paint thinner or alcohol. Give the Murphs' Fender Extender a good swipe of ABS glue, let it set for about 45 seconds, then stick it to the fender. The unit is pretty much “stuck" after one minute of holding in place. For best results clamp the pieces together overnight. Full cure time is 24 hours.

Yeah, like that. (shoulda read the whole post before I chimed in)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
I got the ABS cement from Lowes. I think it was about $3.

I cleaned and roughed up the mating surfaces a little, coated it with cement and clamped it into place. I think the label said 2 hours to cure but I left it on overnight since it was rainy anyway. Looks totally stock.

That's how I put mine on 7 years and many thousands of miles ago, its still stuck on like it came that way from the factory.

Offline Dan

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
Stuck it on, and just to be safe, after gluing it decided to pop ribot it as well, that baby is going no where....

Looks great, and such an important and not expensive add on.  My radiators are smiling....