Author Topic: engine stalling?  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Z71

engine stalling?
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
This happened several times lately and I am wondering what is going on.  I warmed up the bike for about two minutes before riding and temperatures here in Florida are around 70 degrees at this time.  As I shifted from 1st to 2nd gear, I let out the clutch slowly and saw the oil warning light light up on the dash due to engine stalling for a split second.  Then it happened again shifting into 3rd gear.  If i let the clutch out quicker, it did not happen.  Do I need to adjust my idle or something?  Maybe it is too low.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: engine stalling?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »
Is the idle set to 1200 or so?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
RPM's at shift pionts?

Offline Z71

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »
I believe the idle is around 1100 RPMs or so.  How do I adjust it?

I was shifting around 4k RPMs or so as I was on a 30 MPH residential street.

Excavator

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
1100 may be a little low but I don't think enough for the engine to stall. There is a hose on the left side at the back of the lower fairing, at the bottom end of the hose there is an adjustment screw.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
Is the idle set to 1200 or so?

Unless shifting is DREADFULLY slow (or really low), would a shift from first to second normally involve idle speed (I never paid it that much attention)?

I believe the idle is around 1100 RPMs or so.

Seems reasonable for low power riding and at lower speeds.  That said, some people reported that stalling from N was "cured" in cold weather by the extra 100 RPM adjusting up to 1200.  I don't even know what mine is set to, since I have never touched the adjustment.  But I have never had a stall, either.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Excavator

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
I think the owner's manual calls for 1150 so bumping it up to 1150 - 1200 would be worth a try.

Mine was at 1100 from the dealer, it seemed slow to me so I set it up to 1150 and have not thought about it since.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »
I think the stalling may be related to the throttle bodies being out of sync. Increasing idle above spec is an easy cure for this.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:13:11 AM »
Idle adjust is on the left side.  It's a cable with a silver knob attached to it.  The owner's manual (page 182 years 08/09) shows approximate location. Throttle balance could very well have something to do with it, but it's much cheaper to boost it a hundred rpm or so.  We've found through the years that 1200/1250 works better for this bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
Same here, usually on colder mornings and only until the temp is up.  Letting the clutch out always fires it back up and I just keep going.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
This happened several times lately and I am wondering what is going on.  I warmed up the bike for about two minutes before riding and temperatures here in Florida are around 70 degrees at this time.  As I shifted from 1st to 2nd gear, I let out the clutch slowly and saw the oil warning light light up on the dash due to engine stalling for a split second.  Then it happened again shifting into 3rd gear.  If i let the clutch out quicker, it did not happen.  Do I need to adjust my idle or something?  Maybe it is too low.

you deserve it. How dare you being at 70 degrees in Florida while most of the northern hemisphere is at 20?  >:(
 ;)

seriously though, a bit higher idle usually helps, but given your description, I'm afraid it's something else that should be looked at. Unless yours is an early C14, it should still be under warranty, right? Pay your favourite stealer a visit and let us know the outcome.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Z71

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
I checked my idle speed and it was about 900 RPM by the tach when partially warmed up.  I bumped it up to about 1150.  Hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 02:21:16 AM »
Make sure you set the idle when at operating temp.  Otherwise, when the bike reaches op temp it will be really high.
T.S.R.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »
Make sure you set the idle when at operating temp.  Otherwise, when the bike reaches op temp it will be really high.

:goodpost:

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »
Yep, mine did a few times, adjust up a wee bit....
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue