Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 157360 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2014, 06:40:57 AM »
It is the re-filling sequence that resets the range function. To the best of my knowledge, all C-14's blank out the range function once 1.1 gallons of fuel is reached.

Brian

My 2014 shows the warning as well as the range, right down to 3kms is what mine showed at fill.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »
??  You are saying the 2014 is different from all the earlier years??  Normally once the low fuel warning is activated, the range is no longer indicated.   I have never seen anyone mention otherwise.

elp_jc:  Search is your friend...

Not sure what to tell you Max other than the range on fuel was still present right down to 3 kms at time of fill up.

Post 83 of this thread.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2014, 08:34:39 PM »
Not sure what to tell you Max other than the range on fuel was still present right down to 3 kms at time of fill up.

Post 83 of this thread.

Wow- I somehow missed a HUGE chunk of this thread!  I must have had it up in a window at some point and dismissed it by accident.

I believe Brian seems to think your bike is acting like all the years, it was just showing an incorrect/inaccurate remaining range estimate and had not reached the 1.1 gal mark yet, thus had not started the blinking warning.... I tend to agree.  Once the flashing LOW FUEL message appears, you cannot access the remaining range indicator number.  It is unlikely they have reprogrammed or changed that with no other overt changes to the instrumentation. 

So I think your statement of "My 2014 shows the warning as well as the range, right down to 3kms" can't be generalized into an accurate conclusion.  Typically the range at the warning is around 45 miles based on 1.1 gal of fuel remaining (which is what triggers the warning) and when the warning starts, you can't access the remaining range anymore.

I would be interested to know if this has happened to you just once or more than that, and if you typically find your range estimate to be off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2014, 07:51:25 AM »
As soon as I'm able I'll run the bike down on fuel again, I'll strap a gas can to the bike and give her a go.
This will have to wait until spring or if we're fortunate enough to get a Chinook that lasts long enough to get rid of the 2" of ice in the alley to my garage.  :-\
I'll do my best to follow the same actions as when this happened originally. Little curious to see if I get the same results now.  ???

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »
It is the re-filling sequence that resets the range function. To the best of my knowledge, all C-14's blank out the range function once 1.1 gallons of fuel is reached.

Post 83 of this thread.

This is getting interesting. Could be a lot, or nothing here from what I'm reading. Must be someone with a 2014 C14 in warmer climate to look into this for us. Wouldn't it be interesting if they fixed this on the 2014 models but it only works that way if you set your readout to kilometers?  ;D

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »

This is getting interesting. Could be a lot, or nothing here from what I'm reading. Must be someone with a 2014 C14 in warmer climate to look into this for us. Wouldn't it be interesting if they fixed this on the 2014 models but it only works that way if you set your readout to kilometers?  ;D

;);D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »
Finally got some in stock- life got in the way of my farkle manufacturing unfortunately. They are available for purchase now if anyone is interested.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
Thanks

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
Mine arrived today. Installed in minutes, Great detailed instructions with pictures!!!!. Thanks Brian!!

Offline erokc

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
Brian, I stumbled across you device to turn off the LOW FUEL indicator.  I need one but first I must congratulate you for recognizing the need and doing something about it.

In 1991 I bought a 1985 K100RT that did not have a fuel gauge.  I could not believe BMW overlooked the need to know how much fuel was in the tank.

I thought about it a few days and decided if I could fit a computer in the place of the factory clock I would make a fuel computer.  It was called Fuel Plus.

I expanded it to fit other injected bikes. I built it until about 2008.  By that time it was a standard feature on the touring bikes and the recession finished killing the market.  I sold the Fuelplus.com domain name to a German fuel management software company and that was the end of it.

I am still riding the K100 but it's time to put the 30 year old bike to rest.  I'm buying a 2012 Concours.  I saw the RANGE feature in the manual and noticed it turns off at low fuel.  What the hell, that's when you need it the most.  As soon as I take delivery I'll be ordering your patch circuit.

Question, what's the need for the KIPASS bypass?
I know this forum is going to be extremely beneficial.
David

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2015, 11:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Just as the moment, I am out of stock on all products. Had a little argument with my new firewood splitter and lost, or so it seems. Right hand (dominant) hand not quite up to fine motor skills needed to assemble these circuits yet- my wife tried to help out but just does not have enough hand strength (a BIG Easy Boys! on this one- it is my wife after all!) to fully crimp the terminals IMO, and I just will not risk putting anything less than the best possible product.

As to the KiPass bypass: I do not want to clog up this thread with info. about that but very quickly, Kawasaki made an [un- failsafe] design that can and will strand the occasional C-14 due to a sticky activation switch. The bypass provides a quick and easy work- around in the event that that should happen. More info. about that here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.msg82841#msg82841

Brian

Brian, I stumbled across you device to turn off the LOW FUEL indicator.  I need one but first I must congratulate you for recognizing the need and doing something about it.

<snip>

I am still riding the K100 but it's time to put the 30 year old bike to rest.  I'm buying a 2012 Concours.  I saw the RANGE feature in the manual and noticed it turns off at low fuel.  What the hell, that's when you need it the most.  As soon as I take delivery I'll be ordering your patch circuit.

Question, what's the need for the KIPASS bypass?
I know this forum is going to be extremely beneficial.
David

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2015, 04:35:35 AM »
Geez, Brian.  Be careful around machinery.  Hope you're healing quickly.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
Geez, Brian.  Be careful around machinery.  Hope you're healing quickly.

+1 argument, firewood splitter and right hand is never a good combination. Hope everything is going to be ok.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
Yeah, he's getting older.  He needs to be extra careful.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
Thanks guys- I think it will be OK. Might not get 100% feeling back in the index finger, and the middle finger is wearing a little 'sidecar' but nothing too bad. My only real concern is the nail bed coming back 100% on the index finger; it is alive (there was some doubt about that) and growing but may be deformed. And all 100% due to my own stupidity- I would blame the machine, an earthquake, a gamma- ray burst or whatever else but this one is entirely on me.

Oh well, how does it go- 'A scar, a tattoo, a divorce: it adds up to a life. I have gray hair and have not gotten the tattoo or divorce yet so I cannot really complain about the scar I guess.  ;D

Andrea did point out though (with her damn good fingers!) that as we are in the middle of a major house rebuild / renovation (second floor removed, second floor re-installed.... literally) it would have really altered things for the worse if I had lost a finger or two. So there is always a bright side and in this case, that is most definitely it. Also, no damage to my hand that will in any impede riding so that is a great thing also.

Brian

+1 argument, firewood splitter and right hand is never a good combination. Hope everything is going to be ok.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
10 Nov. 2015: I have some of these back in stock finally. I tried to contact all who had contacted me about purchasing one but if I missed anyone, I apologize and it was not on purpose.

Brian

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
I love this mod!  My dash is always on RANGE. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »
Thanks! I like happy customers.

Brian

Offline accbiker

« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »

I agree 100%.  I got one for Christmas last year.  Can't believe I rode for 4 years with that stupid warning/flashing dusplay.  One of the best modifications on the market in my opinion.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2016, 10:11:15 AM »
are these available again?

Pete
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"