Author Topic: Vote to allow lane splitting, do this NOW  (Read 12969 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Vote to allow lane splitting, do this NOW
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Vote to allow lane splitting, do this NOW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »
Can't agree.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
Who likes being a sitting duck while in traffic? Here in California and the rest of the world one understands the risks and benefits.
+1
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
Here in WA, I am convinced that if a bike did that (even legally), cars would squeeze the line to prevent it (if not fully cut off a motorcycle). I feel differently about shoulder riding, tho. In stop and go, and low speed, I'd love to have the option of the shoulder (until you get to an on/off ramp, then I'm not sure how I feel).

We had a bill for lane-splitting, but it got amended for only left shoulder (with the same speed restrictions as full lane splitting, and a few other limitations). Perhaps that's a good gateway to get traffic accustomed to motorcycles moving past, and full lane-splitting may be an option in the future.

But I still don't think I'd lane split on the Concours... so flippin' wide.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:00:42 PM »
I'd be very nervous lane spitting but I lived in Europe for a few months and all motorcyclists did it there. I never had an opportunity to ride but I think cars would have looked at me funny if I were to sit in traffic and not lane split. I think that's the biggest problem here. Most drivers are not used to it. Like RBX said, some would go out of their way to stop you even if it means killing you.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 03:01:30 PM »
We should post this everywhere! Facebook, Twitter etc. I used to Lane Split all the time in California for 13 years. You can do it carefully & safely. The drivers there expect it. What would be difficult is that the sates where it's not legal, would have to make the cagers aware that Lane Splitting has become legal (When it becomes legal). I live in Texas so with all the Bug Trucks & SUV's and the Width of our bikes, it could get tricky.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
Why?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
I am not a fan of lane splitting unless traffic is stopped or very slow (like < 10 MPH) and even then there are some serious issues.  I would be more in favor of allowing motorcyclists to use the SHOULDERS to pass stopped traffic, if done so slowly (15-20MPH), especially if the intent is just to reach the next off-ramp, simply because properly dressed motorcyclists can severely overheat in even moderate periods of not moving.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
I think lane splitting should be legal and helmet laws should go away. If you don't want to split lanes, don't. No one will force you to do so. Don't want to wear a helmet, don't. No one will force you to ride without a helmet if you want to. Whatever became of choice?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
I think lane splitting should be legal and helmet laws should go away. If you don't want to split lanes, don't. No one will force you to do so. Don't want to wear a helmet, don't. No one will force you to ride without a helmet if you want to. Whatever became of choice?

Agreed!
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »
Which/what why?

Why should it be posted all over the place?

If it goes into effect then you should wear your helmet as the auto drivers (northern Va) will definitely try to kill you with their doors, vehicles, throw things at you, and sometimes shoot you (and that's without lane splitting).  Other than that it should be good.  Also, have  you ever seen the debris on road shoulders...and riding on two wheels?  Are you  :nuts: ?  I've seen the PO PO with flat tires from running on them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:06:03 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
Aside from the 'kill a biker' game the drivers would play, we don't need the Feds involved anymore than they already are.
It's that pesky States rights thing.

http://youtu.be/Lr__L3kWsTo

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »

I see the two as very different.  I do not agree with helmet nor seatbelt laws.  The government should not tell me what to do with my body that doesn't directly affect others (insurance is not a reasonable reason).  Of course, I would NEVER ride without a helmet or seatbelt.

Lane splitting, on the other hand, I believe, poses much greater risks to OTHER PEOPLE of being hit by motorcyclists, many of whom will certainly abuse the privilege of lane splitting improperly.  It is complicated to know when and how to do it safely.  There are also complicated legal uncertainties about liability when a collision occurs due to lane splitting.  It is very possible for two cars to be totally in their lanes and yet still move enough (not even intentionally) to suddenly make no room for a motorcycle to go between them.

In either case, I agree with gPink that this is not a Federal-level issue in the first place.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »
have  you ever seen the debris on road shoulders...and riding on two wheels?  Are you  :nuts: ?  I've seen the PO PO with flat tires from running on them.

Indeed the shoulders can be hazardous, hence my saying it would have to be at a slow speed.  It depends on the roads, of course.  It would certainly be on of those "at your own risk" type things.  I have ridden on the shoulder only once, because I was absolutely desperate to be moving because I was near heat stroke.  I turned on my emergency flashers and proceeded carefully at about 10MPH for about a mile until I could reach an exit.  The shoulder was, indeed, far less clean/safe than the main roadbed.  My alternatives were few- 1) stay stopped/crawing in traffic and faint/throwup/fall over (actually I had already fallen over once by that point), 2) pull over to the shoulder and remove my protective gear (probably also illegal and certainly VERY dangerous), or 3) ride carefully on the shoulder until I could get away from the situation.  What would you choose?  It isn't an easy decision....

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
The "petitions.whitehouse.gov" is completely worthless, nobody ever pays any attention to these things. Also, this is a state issue, not federal.

Dan

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
Indeed the shoulders can be hazardous, hence my saying it would have to be at a slow speed.  It depends on the roads, of course.  It would certainly be on of those "at your own risk" type things.  I have ridden on the shoulder only once, because I was absolutely desperate to be moving because I was near heat stroke.  I turned on my emergency flashers and proceeded carefully at about 10MPH for about a mile until I could reach an exit.  The shoulder was, indeed, far less clean/safe than the main roadbed.  My alternatives were few- 1) stay stopped/crawing in traffic and faint/throwup/fall over (actually I had already fallen over once by that point), 2) pull over to the shoulder and remove my protective gear (probably also illegal and certainly VERY dangerous), or 3) ride carefully on the shoulder until I could get away from the situation.  What would you choose?  It isn't an easy decision....

If anyone rides in California, they will know instantly why there is legal lane splitting. In fact, it's one of the reasons I love California the most. The thing that is really dangerous are those idiots that lane split at the speed of sound and end up splattered between vehicles when they hit the huge side view mirrors on trucks. These guys have a short life span and give the legitimate splitters like me a bad name.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 05:14:07 AM »
I vote no.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
The "petitions.whitehouse.gov" is completely worthless, nobody ever pays any attention to these things. Also, this is a state issue, not federal.

Dan

Exactly! +1