Author Topic: Bearinged up Shifter by Murph  (Read 34647 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Bearinged up Shifter by Murph
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:08:22 AM »
I decided to do this shifter mod not because I thought the shifting lacked smoothness but because, quite frankly, it was there and being sold by Murph of Murphskits http://www.murphskits.com .  The price was right being at $21.00 for the kit.  Murph has some well written instructions http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Bearinged%20Up%20Shifter.pdf , so basically I'm just going to add my take on them.  The whole installation took about an hour for me to do.

The kit consists of two bolts, bearings, spacers, tiny washers, and a nut (no, that's not me).  Here's a picture of the shifter before the upgrade....

[smg id=94]

Here's a pic of what was involved in replacing the shifter bushing (shifter removed with tools used).  I did not have another 10mm box end so I used my metric adjustable wrench instead.

[smg id=93]

Removal of the shifter lever was very easy as was removing the bushing from the shifter.  I did use a 1/2 bolt that I had lying around in my spare nuts and bolts tub.  Took a bit to find it.  I did not count threads on the linkage.  Basically I used a spark plug gap tool to measure the distance between the nut and the rubber boot on the shifter side of the assembly.  It was about .035 on mine.  I just made sure I didn't move the jam nut much.  So in order to take the linkage off I twirled the lever around until it came loose.  That way I kept the jam nut in it's same position.  I'm sure that there is an easier way.

[smg id=92]

Bearing installation was very easy as you can just about push the bearings in with your fingers.  Murph includes two bolts and a nut in the bearing kit.  One bolt has a hex head and one has a 'normal' rounded hex keyed head.  I don't know why anyone would use the hex head bolt unless you wanted it to go on a tractor.  I couldn't figure out what the nut was for (I'm hoping it was to keep the bearings and spacers on the shipping bolt).  I dumped them off the shipping bolt and then realized I didn't pay attention to where the washers went.  In reading the directions (I hope), it looks like they go on each end of the shifter and not internally somewhere. 

Tightened it up and will take it out for a spin tomorrow.  I'll let you know what magic has occurred.

Picture with it installed...

[smg id=91]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:11:59 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Re: Bearinged up Shifter by Murph - under construction..
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Nice touch with the leaves in the second pic.    :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »
Can't quite make out the tool closest to the leaves...and why didn't I use it when I installed? Hope I didn't goof something up.:-)
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
Can't quite make out the tool closest to the leaves...and why didn't I use it when I installed? Hope I didn't goof something up.:-)

Spark plug gauge...metric and English.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Bearinged up Shifter by Murph
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Nice way to load pics. Since I'm not the sharpest knife in the computer drawer I have to ask how you do that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
Nice way to load pics. Since I'm not the sharpest knife in the computer drawer I have to ask how you do that.

I've created a picture album for you.  You can find it by selecting the media tab at the top of the page.  You can upload pics (within limits) to your album and then use them in your posts.   The pictures are hosted here on Rick's server(s).

Offline roadie

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
Spark plug gauge...metric and English.

what did you use it for in installing the the new bearings? 
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
If I told you I would have to do you bodily harm.....    I've updated the first post.  Read it again and all will be made clear.

Offline roadie

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
Got it! Thx.
Will

Offline Gsun

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
I did this mod, but it only took about 15 minutes ;) When out riding, I totally forget about paying attention to tell the difference, but I have noticed that I don't think I have missed a shift since doing it. Not that I missed a lot before..... ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:51 AM »
I don't think I've missed one either (that I can remember).

Offline landofahhs

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I jus' sits
    • Taylor Town
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
Okay...I'm confused....is this mod helpful in making shifting more precise or not?  After reading the follow-up comments I seem to get the impression that folks that have done this mod originally didn't have a shifting issue, which make me ponder the question, "Why do the mod?" 
If someone did have an issue with making shifts, then how did this mod make it better?  Did it affect all gear shifts up and down or what exactly was the benefit?
I guess I'm one of those that try to live by the KIS ideology (Keep it simple)....As a result, I only do mods if I feel there is a benefit or need....in other words, I'm for doing mods but only if they serve some practical purpose.  I'm not clear from some of the remarks that people had an issue in the first place with the shifter or what the issue specifically was.  I ask because I do miss an occassional shift between first and second if I'm really getting on it, but whether this mod would be helpful to me is unclear?   Does this mod result in a shorter throw of the lever?  Does it create a longer throw?  Does it make the pressure of the lever less or more sensitive to your shoe/boot?  Or is this one of those mods that is dealing with a person's physical characteristics (i.e. large feet or small feet) compared to bar extenders/risers for long or short arms?
Sorry for being so obtuse...

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
No change in the distance of the shifter, it just makes the motion smoother and gives a more accurate feel.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »
Okay...I'm confused....is this mod helpful in making shifting more precise or not?  After reading the follow-up comments I seem to get the impression that folks that have done this mod originally didn't have a shifting issue, which make me ponder the question, "Why do the mod?" 

Because we can   :D  We just love to do "things" to our bike, inexpensive and doesn't hurt anything and might just help.  I don't even realize I did the mod.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
So true...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 04:28:05 AM »
Ok, took the bike out a few days ago and forgot I had done the shifter until 3/4s of the way into the ride.  Did about 100 miles with it.  Bearing in mind that I really didn't have any problems with shifting before the mod, nor after, I can't say that this is a miracle product that made my hair grow or lengthen any body parts.  It was fairly easy to install and not expensive.  I can say that.  Maybe if I were in a situation where I was constantly shifting it would make a bigger difference for me.  I have seen no unintended consequences from installing this mod.

Offline roadie

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
... make me ponder the question, "Why do the mod?" 

It ain't made a hill-o-beans of difference in my shifting...but damn it was fun doing and learned a lil more about my bike in the process.  I'd do it again for that reason alone.
Will

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
Because we can   :D  We just love to do "things" to our bike, inexpensive and doesn't hurt anything and might just help.  I don't even realize I did the mod.
Best answer. People who thinks it actually helps probably ride like girls.  Me, I just like playing around with bearings.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »
Ok, took the bike out a few days ago and forgot I had done the shifter until 3/4s of the way into the ride.  Did about 100 miles with it.  Bearing in mind that I really didn't have any problems with shifting before the mod, nor after, I can't say that this is a miracle product that made my hair grow or lengthen any body parts.  It was fairly easy to install and not expensive.  I can say that.  Maybe if I were in a situation where I was constantly shifting it would make a bigger difference for me.  I have seen no unintended consequences from installing this mod.
Hope you remembered to tighten that lock nut ;D
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »
What lock nut?  ;)