Author Topic: 2014 FJR1300ES... purdy!  (Read 37788 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: 2014 FJR1300ES... purdy!
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »
Unless the japs up their game and soon, its euro bikes for me going forward
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
You have got to be kidding, Steve, unless you're thinking Italian.  Then I could see it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bergmen

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
Well, I just bought a 2014 FJR1300A this past Saturday. I pick it up this coming Saturday.

The ES model (Electronic Suspension) won't show up before February or March next year and only a few will be allocated to California and no dealer will budge on full list (and some were hinting at a dealer markup). I was initially trying to get an ES but punted to the A.

It matches my riding gear:

Dan

Offline jayke

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »
Congrats......

I've got a '13 FJR.  You'll like it.

If you're coming from a C14, don't expect much of a difference.  They're pretty close.

Bergmen

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
I'll be coming from this:

Dan

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
Dan, what were the deciding factors the led to the FJ instead of a C14?

Offline Ant

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
You guys are really lucky to have the ES in that colour. It is beautiful. I don't think we are getting it in 2014 here in the UK. But our main show starts next week so we will see…….. Just wish the GTR1400 had those colours…..

I am fortunate enough to own both the FJR and GTR ( C14 ), although the FJR is an earlier model.

which is best ?  Both have their differences and its a personal choice only i think.

Me ?  well I've clocked up 10k since June on the C14, and only 3k on the FJR. So i guess the GTR is best for me at the moment.

I do like the low revving purr of the C14, but miss the cruise control and screen angle that the FJR has. Addicted to the tyre pressure monitors on the C14 and love the seating position with the bar risers on.

Engine braking is better on the C14 i find and the pull when you knock down a gear or 2  ;D
I can sit at this speed all day long in France, 2 up fully loaded……I Just love it 
I used to be indecisive, but now i'm not so sure !

Bergmen

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
Dan, what were the deciding factors the led to the FJ instead of a C14?

I've never been attracted to the C14 for a number of reasons (small tank being one of them). The potato bazooka is another. Then, I have no use for anything like Kipass (which has stranded a lot of riders). TPMS is raising it's ugly head in expensive, sealed replacements when the batteries die.

I just never warmed up to it. I have always admired the Feejer and I had been thinking of going to a modern bike over the past couple of months or so. Then they came out with Candy Red for 2014 and it was all over.

It is on the truck in the crate on it's way to Lakeport as I type this. Setup Thursday or Friday and I should be able to pick it up on Saturday.

Dan

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
Good for you Dan. The very best of luck with that new bike and I know you will gain vast knowledge about that one as you have in the past about the C-10. The FJR forum will probably be of much greater benefit to you know but hey, stop back once in a while and say 'hi'.

Brian

I've never been attracted to the C14 for a number of reasons (small tank being one of them). The potato bazooka is another. Then, I have no use for anything like Kipass (which has stranded a lot of riders). TPMS is raising it's ugly head in expensive, sealed replacements when the batteries die.

I just never warmed up to it. I have always admired the Feejer and I had been thinking of going to a modern bike over the past couple of months or so. Then they came out with Candy Red for 2014 and it was all over.

It is on the truck in the crate on it's way to Lakeport as I type this. Setup Thursday or Friday and I should be able to pick it up on Saturday.

Dan
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline okxd45

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
Now that I no longer have the C14....I have to admit that I really like the look of the FJR.  My wife and I saw one on the road the other day and she made the comment that it looked more sporty and I think I have to agree.  I like the angular look of the bags and they don't seem to stick out as far.  Anyway I probably shouldn't say too much...since I don't have either and  my new toy is a car.... ;)

Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline pistole

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:32 AM »

1. Small Tank : my 2012 C14 can cover 310 kms (over 200 miles) on one full tank of fuel. Thats about enough time as well for me (and the bike) to get a short break. I cannot imagine a civilised locale where you can't find a gas station within 200 miles. So , the size of the tank is a non-issue.

2. Potato Bazooka : the stock exhaust is , granted , ugly as heck. Easy to rectify though.

3. Kipass : my experience over many many days on the road touring with the C14 is that Kipass is fine , as long as you learn to do some simple things and get your SOP in order. Its no different from the majority of cars nowadays which come without any keys anymore. As for being stranded by Kipass , well yeah , you can sure strand yourself in many ways , but Kipass is usually operator error (eg , loosing the fob or letting the fob's batt to die).

4. TPMS : I ride alot on lonely bits of road and often at high speeds. TPMS is godsend and its constantly displayed on my dash. Many here have mentioned how they were able to get off the road safely before total deflation occurred. As for the TPMS's battery dying , to me that is part and parcel of the cost of ownership and the convenience of TPMS. Eg , timing belt changes with ducatis, valve work , etc. Its part and parcel of owning something that wears out as you enjoy the ride.

That said , the new 2014 FJR with the electronic suspension , throttle by wire , cruise , traction control , abs , etc , really deserves a close look. Unfortunately , over here , we're used to cruising at very high speeds (ie , "cruising" for us starts at 100 mph and above). So , the lack of a 6th gear may just hold some back from taking on the FJR.

Bergmen

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
Well, the dealer called this afternoon and said the bike arrived and was nearly finished with prep. It will be ready for pickup tomorrow morning. My son is going to drive me over and will get here at 8:30 (it is about a 45 minute drive to the dealer).

My riding gear is in the truck and it's full of gas. Contract and cashiers check is in there too. Weather looks good (partly cloudy, mid 40s to mid 50s).

I'm stoked (to put it mildly). I took the day off tomorow and I have the weekend to get acquainted.

Dan

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »
Good for you Dan, and the very best of luck with the new ride.

I like seeing people acting like kids at Christmas no matter how old they are.... (and that is a compliment, not sarcasm).

Brian

Well, the dealer called this afternoon and said the bike arrived and was nearly finished with prep. It will be ready for pickup tomorrow morning. My son is going to drive me over and will get here at 8:30 (it is about a 45 minute drive to the dealer).

My riding gear is in the truck and it's full of gas. Contract and cashiers check is in there too. Weather looks good (partly cloudy, mid 40s to mid 50s).

I'm stoked (to put it mildly). I took the day off tomorow and I have the weekend to get acquainted.

Dan
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
1. Small Tank : my 2012 C14 can cover 310 kms (over 200 miles) on one full tank of fuel. Thats about enough time as well for me (and the bike) to get a short break. I cannot imagine a civilised locale where you can't find a gas station within 200 miles. So , the size of the tank is a non-issue.

2. Potato Bazooka : the stock exhaust is , granted , ugly as heck. Easy to rectify though.

3. Kipass : my experience over many many days on the road touring with the C14 is that Kipass is fine , as long as you learn to do some simple things and get your SOP in order. Its no different from the majority of cars nowadays which come without any keys anymore. As for being stranded by Kipass , well yeah , you can sure strand yourself in many ways , but Kipass is usually operator error (eg , loosing the fob or letting the fob's batt to die).

4. TPMS : I ride alot on lonely bits of road and often at high speeds. TPMS is godsend and its constantly displayed on my dash. Many here have mentioned how they were able to get off the road safely before total deflation occurred. As for the TPMS's battery dying , to me that is part and parcel of the cost of ownership and the convenience of TPMS. Eg , timing belt changes with ducatis, valve work , etc. Its part and parcel of owning something that wears out as you enjoy the ride.

That said , the new 2014 FJR with the electronic suspension , throttle by wire , cruise , traction control , abs , etc , really deserves a close look. Unfortunately , over here , we're used to cruising at very high speeds (ie , "cruising" for us starts at 100 mph and above). So , the lack of a 6th gear may just hold some back from taking on the FJR.

+4
I can actually ride +400 km on mine (+250 miles), and it doesn't have the neat eco mode of later models. But as you well put it, 200 miles is about the limit of my concentration level and I use the fuel stop to stretch, pee and drink some water. 15 minutes that can make a difference later on.
The bazooka rests in peace in my basement. It has been taken care of by a Remus Hexacone that doesn't cease to amaze me with its sound level and quality.
I don't care for KI-PASS, but it doesn't bother me either. The only thing that bothers me is that it would have been nice if Kawasaki use that money to put a CC instead.
TPMS: how did we survive that long without it?! Honestly, I love it. With time I learned to appreciate the difference in handling with 40 or 42 psi.

ESA: I miss that one. I'd love Kawa having it as an option and I'm willing to pay for it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline eng943

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
+4
I can actually ride +400 km on mine (+250 miles), and it doesn't have the neat eco mode of later models. But as you well put it, 200 miles is about the limit of my concentration level and I use the fuel stop to stretch, pee and drink some water. 15 minutes that can make a difference later on.
The bazooka rests in peace in my basement. It has been taken care of by a Remus Hexacone that doesn't cease to amaze me with its sound level and quality.
I don't care for KI-PASS, but it doesn't bother me either. The only thing that bothers me is that it would have been nice if Kawasaki use that money to put a CC instead.
TPMS: how did we survive that long without it?! Honestly, I love it. With time I learned to appreciate the difference in handling with 40 or 42 psi.

ESA: I miss that one. I'd love Kawa having it as an option and I'm willing to pay for it.

Kawasaki is positioned nicely to update the C14. They will have the luxury of going to sshool on the improved FJR, and they have the nicer engine/trans in my opinion.

I'm glad Yamaha has finally captured the idea that cruise and ESA are necessary features in the eyes of good portion of the ST market. 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R