Author Topic: Cut down windscreen  (Read 27063 times)

Offline yoman

Re: Cut down windscreen
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59:17 PM »
13 inches for me (windshield that is) 5'8" tall.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Tele130

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 12:57:13 AM »
This is my 14" stocker.

Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »
Doug that looks really good, although I am starting to get a little concerned about your addiction to chrome edging :-X
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
Doug that looks really good, although I am starting to get a little concerned about your addiction to chrome edging :-X

I was too lazy to do a good job sanding the edge I just cut.   :rotflmao:....................................No, Really I was.  There's a long, sad story that goes with the trim pieces. :(

Doug Colton

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
I was too lazy to do a good job sanding the edge I just cut.   :rotflmao:....................................No, Really I was.  There's a long, sad story that goes with the trim pieces. :(
Oh sure, are you trying to convince me or yourself?  It sounds like somebody is in denial.  Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery my friend.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Just kidding I know about the trim on your Rex
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline yoman

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
Well, since I started this thing I guess I should post. Here it is thirteen inches tall.
$22.00 work of Lexan and a couple of hours later, VOILÀ
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
Very nice!!  They sure are pretty when they are new. ;D
2002 Conc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
Oh sure, are you trying to convince me or yourself?  It sounds like somebody is in denial.  Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery my friend.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Just kidding I know about the trim on your Rex

:loco: :rotflmao:

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
Well, since I started this thing I guess I should post. Here it is thirteen inches tall.
$22.00 work of Lexan and a couple of hours later, VOILÀ

Very nice indeed.  Question is: Do you like the differance in the ride?

Doug Colton

Offline yoman

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Maybe this should go  in the "Is it for real  OR  Just in your head?" thread but yes I like it alot.

More air for me and less buffeting, especially in the dirty air behind large vehicles.

I really don't notice that much more pressure on me, just more air for the mesh gear to work with. :)
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Tele130

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
Maybe this should go  in the "Is it for real  OR  Just in your head?" thread but yes I like it alot.

More air for me and less buffeting, especially in the dirty air behind large vehicles.

I really don't notice that much more pressure on me, just more air for the mesh gear to work with. :)
:thumbs: :chugbeer:
A+ on that!  Exactly!!!

Doug Colton

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
Yoman, I've got my piece of Lexan ready to be cut this weekend. The thing I'm worried about is transferring the screw holes to the Lexan. It seems to my small brain that they have to be perfectly placed or they won't line up. So, how did you do it? Is it something simple and I'm just overthinking it? Thanks, and, BTW, looks good.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline yoman

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 06:01:34 PM »
I transfered mine from a previous windshield. I used 5/16 hole which gives a little wiggle room. If you have access to a large printer I can send you a digital file for a pattern that I got from another forum member. Otherwise I can trace my orginal and snail-mail it to you. e-mail me at tyohewgfd at yahoo dot com
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2011, 06:07:44 AM »
Yoman, I've got my piece of Lexan ready to be cut this weekend. The thing I'm worried about is transferring the screw holes to the Lexan. It seems to my small brain that they have to be perfectly placed or they won't line up. So, how did you do it? Is it something simple and I'm just overthinking it? Thanks, and, BTW, looks good.

I'm the one that scanned Dan's tracing.  Feel free to send it around.  You could do a rubbing (paper and pencil) of your own windshield onto some news print.  Then use that to transfer to the lexan.  That way you would capture the edge and holes where it meets the fairing.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
I've got the jpeg file, just have to find some time to run to the print shop, they have a large format printer. I think it's $1.99 per print. Thanks all, and if anyone wants a copy of the file. let me know. Here's what it looks like.

I'll post some photos when I'm done with the project.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
I just put masking tape on mine and drew a line and went at it with a dremel.

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
WOW !!! I can't believe how many of us here, chopped there windcreen in such a short time.  And we are all very pleased with the results.  This is turning out to be a very good thread.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline crossj_2002

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »
I did this last year with an old shield.  Don't have a pic at the moment, but I pretty much cut it straight across using masking tape and a jigsaw with a PVC blade.  The short shield and Brian's heat sheilds are some of the best farkles for my money.    Short shield, a wet t-shirt, and a mesh jacket - it almost feels like you're in air conditioning.
  COG#9120 '99 C10 Concours

Offline thundercloud

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »
OK ,You guys talked me into it. I cut mine down yesterday and really like it,I get air.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »
This mod has been done by members here for years..............(as I understand it ;D)  Gota be the heat this summer that has us finally catching on. :o :thumbs:

Doug Colton