Author Topic: 12v Auxiliary Power Source  (Read 4506 times)

Offline TAL2013C14

12v Auxiliary Power Source
« on: August 26, 2017, 08:26:27 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'd like to install a pair of fork mounted LEDs to my recently purchased 2013 C14.

I've got a pair of small LEDs (10W power, 0.53 Amp draw each), and a Denali light mount kit.

Is there a switched 12v auxiliary power source that I can use to power these lights, or will I need to run power from the battery box?

I'd like to run from an existing auxiliary power source, and install an on/off rocker switch.

Thanks!

Tim

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 12v Auxiliary Power Source
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
Plenty of good posts about adding lights.  There is a switched aux power source on the front left near the glove box.  However, it is only rated at something like 5A and shared with the lighter outlet (I think, can't quite remember now).  You could pull your 2A from there, although many will recommend you wire back to the battery bus or install a second, fused accessory power distribution up front if you plan to ever add anything else.  Some people have increased the fuse to 10A, saying the first Gen C14 had a 10A and they dropped it to 5A in the second gen, but there has to be a reason they did that and I wouldn't want to second-guess the engineers.

For example, I did use that accessory for powering my front turn signals in reverse as running lights and also my GPS connection.  But I also added an air horn, and that I had to run back to the battery.   Have never used the lighter outlet, although I carry a USB charger cable that can plug into it if necessary.

There is another relatively small accessory connection in the tail that is useful for additional tail lighting.  But if I remember correctly, that one is 10A.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
Don't overload that circuit!

http://youtu.be/6xZUGVLCLYA
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »
As Max said, you can tap into the aux. power wires provided exactly for that purpose: there are a pair front and rear on the bike.

The front pair is under the top / left fairing cover, inside a black rubber boot with a number of connectors inside it. There are two individual wires, each with a bullet connector on the end, a male and a female. If I remember correctly, it is the male that is negative but either way, the negative lead is black with a yellow stripe, as are all negative wires throughout the bike (with the exception of the heavy cables to the battery and starter). You have 5 amps avaialble so 0.53 amps is a 'walk in the electrical park'.

You will need a pair (one male, one female) bullet connectors of 4mm or 5/32" size to tap into those connectors.

The pair in the back of the bike is tougher to get to but the same deal: they are inside the black rubber boot around a couple of other connectors.

BTW, sometimes these little guys tend to hide, some people report at first that they are not present on that particular bike but they are there, just behind a larger connector or a little further down inside the boot.

These leads are 'hot' or ON any time the ignition is on; they will turn off with the ignition so they cannot be used to, say, charge a GPS or a cell phone or similar with the bike in the OFF condition.

Brian

Edited to fix color of ground wire on C-14

Hi Folks,

I'd like to install a pair of fork mounted LEDs to my recently purchased 2013 C14.

I've got a pair of small LEDs (10W power, 0.53 Amp draw each), and a Denali light mount kit.

Is there a switched 12v auxiliary power source that I can use to power these lights, or will I need to run power from the battery box?

I'd like to run from an existing auxiliary power source, and install an on/off rocker switch.

Thanks!

Tim
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:17:39 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Thank you folks, this is exactly what I was looking for! :chugbeer:

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 06:54:23 AM »
IIRC the reason for dropping to 5A on the later bikes is because of the factory heated grips.

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:34:52 AM »
As Max said, you can tap into the aux. power wires provided exactly for that purpose: there are a pair front and rear on the bike.

Brian

Edited to fix color of ground wire on C-14

Brian,

Quick question...
Do these connections have a dedicated fuse position, or do they share a fuse position with something else?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
I believe the front and rear acc leads and the cig plug in the dash are all on the same fuse.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
Yep, what Gary said.

The fuse is #5 in the third fuse box, and should be labeled 'Aux' or similar. It is a 5 amp fuse, and the only 5 amp fuse in the entire bike; all the fuses are marked with the amperage on top so when you see the one marked 5, you have it.

Because all 'auxiliary' circuits are on that one fuse, you can only use a max. of 5 amps in total, not at each point. So if you take 1 amp for something from the front connector, you only have 4 left for the other two. What you cannot do is use, say, 3 amps from either of the bullet connectors and then plug something that draws 4 amps in the cigarette lighter as that would total 7 and open the fuse.

Brian

I believe the front and rear acc leads and the cig plug in the dash are all on the same fuse.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »
So I've got 5 amps max for the two taps and the cigarette lighter combined, beyond that I need to tap into the battery and create a dedicated circuit.

Thanks again everyone, you have been extremely helpful! 8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
Yeah, forgot the two were tied together.

The good news is that since what most people add are LED lighting and electronics, neither really pull much anymore... so you can do a surprising amount of stuff with those 5A.  But as soon as you want any of these:

1) Heated clothing
2) Air horn (or multiple, powerful electronic ones)
3) Battery charger (bike battery)
4) Air pump

Then you are looking at needing to add additional circuit(s).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
Yes, that is correct. The aux. circuit is there for small, mostly electronic items such as GPS, cell phone chargers, radar detectors and so forth.

The amusing part is that whatever you do, don't try to use the cigarette lighter plug for a cigarette lighter 'cause it will pop the fuse instantly. :-)

If at some point you do want or need to run electrical items that require more current, I would suggest one very large tap to the battery, fused close to the battery at 30 amps and then distribute it around as you want to / need to. We use a lot of power because we (my wife and I) wear heated gear all- over and that takes a lot of power. In fact, we are using most of the C-14's available power when the gear is used at 100%. So on my bike, I have two 15 amp circuits that end in whips using DC coaxial power plugs on the left side; normally they power our heated clothing but I also use one for an air compressor and as a battery charger port too. Again, once the circuit(s) are in place, the easy way to use them IMO is to just change everything over to the same plug type and use those taps for all heavier power needs; you will never find yourself charging the battery while using heated clothing, riding down the road, so two taps really are enough.  ;)

Helpful- yeah, that sometimes happens in-between the jokes but do not let it fool you- we are really pretty awful people. Especially when some of the more notorious of the horde keep trying to slip things in (Easy Boys!) that you did not expect.  :rotflmao:

Brian

So I've got 5 amps max for the two taps and the cigarette lighter combined, beyond that I need to tap into the battery and create a dedicated circuit.

Thanks again everyone, you have been extremely helpful! 8)

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
Yeah, as I sit here typing this, I think to myself, "I'll never install more than a couple sets of LEDs, and a GPS.", HOWEVER, I'm sure that will change down the road. :finger_fing11:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 06:05:53 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »
Yeah, as I sit here typing this, I think to myself, "I'll never install more than a couple sets of LEDs, and a GPS.", HOWEVER, I'm sure that will change down the road. :finger_fing11:

Oh yes, it shall...

The Concours is a great platform.  Lots of room, lots of alternator, lots of addons available, lots of possibilities.

Offline maverick9611

• "tryin not to get old"
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 06:25:49 AM »
here ya go. hyperlights fork mounted daytime running lights.
using key switch on 12 v power from rear
15 lb velcro and ziptye to hold it
i put extra switch on top to turn off if necessary.
only draw .25 amps(nice)
https://hyperlites.com/?product=hyperwhites-lights-only