Author Topic: LOUDER HORN!  (Read 19250 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: LOUDER HORN!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
I still would love to know if a Wing horn would work, without having to install a relay?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »
Uh oh.... The Joker is back!!  8)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
Yeah Im back!!!!! I found this horn, it looks like maybe a winner? Says no wiring harness needed, Im assuming no relay either?

http://www.happy-trail.com/PIAA-Sports-Horn.aspx
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
How long would you have to blow the upgraded horn for the contacts to overheat?

It depends on what the switch is rated at and how much current you're drawing through it. If the rating is low and the draw high, you could melt it immediately. The Fiamm low note alone draws 6 amps for one horn and @ ~1' the C weighted SPL is 126dB. The stocker draws just under 5 amps and @ ~1' the C weighted SPL is 116dB. If you want to try a higher amperage horn without a relay, be my guest. I'll be using a 30 amp relay for the job. I don't know how much it would cost to replace the stock horn switch but I'll bet it's more than the $5 for a relay.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
I still would love to know if a Wing horn would work, without having to install a relay?

I think that Fred H used a Wing horn (maybe two) at one point but I'm sure that he used a relay.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »
Yeah Im back!!!!! I found this horn, it looks like maybe a winner? Says no wiring harness needed, Im assuming no relay either?

http://www.happy-trail.com/PIAA-Sports-Horn.aspx

Yep, it says no harness needed which means no relay. It also doens't say how much current it draws. It lists the SPL at 115dB but it doesn't give the distance from the horn to the meter. As I said above, the stocker is 116dB @ ~1 foot.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
I went to a junk yard and get a set of Toyota horns HI & LO are very small and  very loud, like those in the link but should be in that combination High and Low tone
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98-99-00-01-Toyota-Camry-LE-Horn-High-Tone-/390301410310?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adfc6e406

Also i did use a relay same way as in Fred Harmon link

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/128800500
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline donmoe

• My 2013 Triumph Trophy SE at Lake Okeechobee, FL
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
I bought a set of two Fiamm El Grande horns from Amazon.com for $18.80 (even less now) and had them installed using the existing horn bracket. They are quite loud and sound like a dual-tone car horn and thus much, much better than the measly (mweep, mweep) original horn.  Even with my earbuds on under my helmet, I can hear my own horn very well at highway speeds. With the stock horn I couldn't tell if it was even working unless I stopped.

Don
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)
2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
1981 KZ1000
1974 Z1 (sold)
1973 H1 (traded 1974)

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
I bought a set of two Fiamm El Grande horns from Amazon.com for $18.80 (even less now) and had them installed using the existing horn bracket. They are quite loud and sound like a dual-tone car horn and thus much, much better than the measly (mweep, mweep) original horn.  Even with my earbuds on under my helmet, I can hear my own horn very well at highway speeds. With the stock horn I couldn't tell if it was even working unless I stopped.

Don

Did you wire in a relay?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
The wing horn is on a circuit with a 15 amp fuse, I don't know how much it draws when activated but there are other things on the same circuit.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
I had the Hi & Lo tone Fiamm Freeway Blasters on my FJR and I LOVED them. I always joked that it sounded like a 1974 Buick horn. When I bought my Connie I purchased the Stebel package from Murph and after install, it was louder than stock, but didn't compare to the Freeway Blasters. Today I swapped out the Stebels for another pair of Blasters and I am happy once again. For me, these horns are much louder and grab your attention much quicker.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
I went with the Stebel Nautilus's bigger brother, the Stebel Compact Truck Horn. Very similar to the nautilus; just has a lower tone and larger horn body.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
When I bought my Connie I purchased the Stebel package from Murph and after install, it was louder than stock, but didn't compare to the Freeway Blasters. Today I swapped out the Stebels for another pair of Blasters and I am happy once again. For me, these horns are much louder and grab your attention much quicker.

Note- he is referring to the Stebel magnetic horns, not the Stebel air horns, like the Nautilus.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SparX

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
I just received the Stebel Nautilis and installed it this last weekend.  Had to whip up a custom harness for it to get the relay in there, but I left the stock horn on there as well and just adjusted it up a bit.  Custom harness wasn't hard, but took a while and I would definately go with a PNP next time.  I just have this thing about doing it myself at least once to get the experience.  Like many others, I mounted it on the right side just under the upper and mid plastics.  I hated putting it there because the openings for blasting are pointed at the plastics, not at the idiots in front of me, but it is loud enough to compensate.

Only had to use it once so far, but my comment on that is that when I am reacting to an *idiot* I am not thinking about a horn, I am finding my escape route and making sure I'm safe.  After all is well, THAT is when I communicate with the offending driver.  I must say, the eyes appeared to double in diameter on her when I laid on that thing.  Good investment for about $45 total.

Documentation says 138db @ 4 inches, more like 118db at 4 feet.  It's still an attention getter though.

-SparX
-SparX

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
I installed the SN horn last weekend under the right side upper black panel and installed DDM HID's at the same time. This thing is freaking LOUD!!
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline booger

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
Let see, when I am kicked back in a LS 460, listening to some tunes, you think a loud motorcycle horn is going to disturb me ???

Offline scgoan

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
I just finished installing the Stebel Nautilus horn and wire harness from BikerHiway. I have a California model with the evaporative emission control canister under the right panel, where others have installed the horn. I decided to mount the horn where the existing horn was mounted, using the original mounting bracket from the old horn. I trimmed roughly an inch off the bracket using my angle grinder. Then, I drilled a new hole in the bracket, just below the bottom of the "U." As you can see in the picture I didn't use the intended horizontal mounting (where the bolt would be going horizontal rather than vertical). So I enlarged the hole on the top of the horn, so that the bracket would be installed on the top of the horn. The horn just clears the radiator. As you probably noticed, I'm having a difficult time explaining how I mounted the horn. I also had a difficult time taking pictures after the install. I really like where it is mounted. I highly recommend the plug-n-play wiring harness. For $20.00 it's well worth it. Love this horn!!!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
I just finished installing the Stebel Nautilus horn and wire harness from BikerHiway. I decided to mount the horn where the existing horn was mounted, using the original mounting bracket from the old horn.

Wow!  I wouldn't not have thought that was possible!  I bet it will seem to be a lot louder mounted there.  I see what you mean about the pictures, it is a bit hard to tell what is going on.  Please address the following:

1) Do you think it will be blocking a significant amount of airflow to the radiator?
2) Do you think the Nautilus would be OK there with the possible amount of weather that will be thrown at it?
3) Are you concerned that the huge weight of the Nautilus compared the the stock, tiny magnetic horn, will be too much for the stock bracket and perhaps fail?

Thanks
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
I'd be more worried about clearence at full fork compression. Looks great though.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250