Author Topic: test rode a Trophy and new fjr today  (Read 5082 times)

Offline eng943

test rode a Trophy and new fjr today
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
In my exploration into possibly replacing my c14, I rode these two new bikes today.

First the Trophy.

What intrigued me about this bike right away was how similar it is in stature/scope to the BMW RT12, which I owned and really liked. The fairing is generous, and weather protection is very impressive. Again, compared to the RT, which was it's design target, it seemed to have the features I had/have come to really appreciate. Electronic suspension, cruise, etc.

The bike I rode was blue, and looked pretty handsome. I did notice some of the panels had gaps with tabs still visual, as if they were not seated properly. Materials looked a bit on the less expensive side here and there around the fairing, but not bad. My RT had a higher level of quality in the fit and finish department though.

Today was 50 degrees or so here, and I started out on my test ride. My first impressions as I rode away were that it was not as refined feeling as I expected. The triple is overall very smooth, but not in an inline 4 manner. There is a subtle gritty feel to the engine that you only get with the triple. Generally from past experience on the Tiger 1050, I have really come away lusting for a triple, but the Trophy did not really speak to me the way the old Tiger engine did.

As mentioned wind protection was top notch. However trying to use the controls for the radio and other functions was frustrating. I had to take my hand off the grip to adjust the sound system, and the windshield button was a reach also. Overall and just for comparisons sake BMW does a much nicer job of providing better ergonomic controls with the multi-function wheel.

Acceleration was pretty impressive, and there was nice usable torque throughout the rpm band. Not C14 fast by any means, but plenty for me. Fueling and clutch action were really impressive, though I thought the ride by wire was a little to touchy at times, and lacked good feel. Transmission was a mixed bag. It shifted accurately, but did produce a nice "clunk" when changing gears at times.

To sum it up, I think it is a great bike, but somehow left me a little underwhelmed due to its lack of refinement. Some may disagree, and my expectations may have been too high. To put it another way, I would not sell my C14 to buy a Trophy. It just wasn't that compelling, and if this type of bike is truly a consideration, I would probably wait for the new RT next year, and test ride that.

Next was the FJR.

Lots to like about this bike. A real key, bigger fuel tank, better brakes. All things I grit my teeth over that IMO are needed on the c14. Fit and finish on the FJR are nicer than the C14. Nicer dash, accents and details that make the fjr seem more polished and generally of better quality.

My first observation was that the fjr was short on wind protection compared to the c14. That said, I have a large Aeroflow and wings on mine, so I took the observation with a grain of salt. The fjr feels a touch less bulky, but not necessarily better handling. In fact I feel my C14 with the 190/55 PR3 upgrade steerls lighter and handles somewhat better. The fjr felt really strong through the gears, and was probably close to just as smooth as my C14. Overall, I prefer the C14 engine and transmission to the fjr. The C14 feels more relaxed at 80 mph due to the 6th gear. I noticed about a 500 rpm difference on the fjr.  Brakes were really well sorted out and are a compelling reason to consider going to the fjr. Much nicer, and more forgiving.

The fjr has benefited from ongoing improvements without radical changes. It is a very well executed bike with a feel of quality and polish. The lack of a 6th probably would not bother me, but the cruise not being usable after 80 mph is a bit of deal killer. Honestly, if the fjr cruise was good to 90-100 mph, I think I might pull the trigger and buy it.

That all being said, neither of these two bikes made a compelling case in my mind at this point to sell my C14. The best option at this point in time for me seems to be adding MC Cruise.

Cheers!     

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: test rode a Trophy and new fjr today
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Nice write up, thanks!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
Honestly, if the fjr cruise was good to 90-100 mph, I think I might pull the trigger and buy it.
Is this really a deal killer? How often would you be able to use it at that speed?

Anyways, nice write up. I have thought about going for a few test rides myself. I loved my Tiger, it was a fun bike.

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
Good write up.  I really like the Trophy.  The FJR, well, just never was able to get excited about it.

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
Rode the old FJR daily in the course of my career with the cops ( until I retired last year) and it was an easy bike to ride fast... And plenty fast enough... Did all my courses since 2008 on one and had the GTR not presented itself at the right price I'd have bought one by now  ;)
I can only assume the new one is an improvement on an already useful bike

Offline eng943

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »
Is this really a deal killer? How often would you be able to use it at that speed?

Anyways, nice write up. I have thought about going for a few test rides myself. I loved my Tiger, it was a fun bike.

Yep, it's a nanny state feature deal killer for sure. Who would buy cruise on a car that only worked to 80 mph? 90 mph I could have lived with.

Now, I have go to believe someone will find a way to pull that "safety" feature out of the ECU. Guhl perhaps?   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
Nice write up. I went by a Triumph dealer today while I was on my new C-14. I was tempted to take a look at the Trophy. Kinda glad I didn't now. My 96 Triumph Trident 900 will always be one of my all time favorite bikes. I regret not paying the extra money back then for a Trophy 900 or 1200.
Joel from Maine.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »
I have not heard of a US market bike yet that has cruise that will engage faster than 80 MPH.  I am wondering if cars have a limit for engagement as well.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline eng943

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 05:14:22 AM »
I have not heard of a US market bike yet that has cruise that will engage faster than 80 MPH.  I am wondering if cars have a limit for engagement as well.

BMW engages to 100 mph.

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:43:40 AM »
but the cruise not being usable after 80 mph is a bit of deal killer

Maybe you should look @ the CAT O-ring  ;)
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »

I'm certain my truck will engage faster then 80.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Up to 100mph on the Wing... BTDT. 8)  My Ridgeline will engage over 80mph too... do it all the time.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 06:45:55 AM »
That clears that up.  I'm not saying I haven't gone over 80 in a car, but I use the cruise to set a safe 4 miles over when I am in a rental car.  Then, if I need to pass I push the gas and then when I get back in my lane I let the cruise take back over.

Same with the bikes, but I don't live where the roads are straight and flat.  Even our interstates in TN have curves that require trucks to slow to 45 mph or risk flipping.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline booger

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
Up to 100mph on the Wing... BTDT. 8)  My Ridgeline will engage over 80mph too... do it all the time.

Same with my CRV.  Haven't tried it on the wife's Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon .........I don't think it will do 80 ;)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Big comparison of all the sport tourers in the recent Rider mag. Pretty much what you said about the Trophy they said, plus, strange ergos, like locked in, and the fact that in designing the bike with the BMW in mind, they basically designed a Triumph BMW, missing the chance to really design a true Trophy on its own. Imitation is flattery. And if you are imitating BMW, you are in good company I guess. BMW has nothing to worry about though.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline eng943

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
Big comparison of all the sport tourers in the recent Rider mag. Pretty much what you said about the Trophy they said, plus, strange ergos, like locked in, and the fact that in designing the bike with the BMW in mind, they basically designed a Triumph BMW, missing the chance to really design a true Trophy on its own. Imitation is flattery. And if you are imitating BMW, you are in good company I guess. BMW has nothing to worry about though.

The ergos were a bit odd. I felt like my feet were too far forward on the Trophy. The RT ergos worked better for me, and were darn near perfect. If I had to choose between the RT and Trophy, I think the RT would be my choice. Easier to use controls, lighter, more fun to ride, nicer overall.

I really thought I was going to walk out with a new Trophy on order, but it's not good enough to make me trade the C14. The new water cooled RT might be a consideration next year  though.