Author Topic: Spark plug change  (Read 14058 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

Spark plug change
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
I was looking at the manual and it looks like you have to take almost everything off the bike to get to the plugs.  Is there an easier way, I know sometimes the book goes a little overboard with stuff they say you need to remove

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Spark plug change
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »
I suppose you could drill holes in the tank.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
Wait till about 50k before you should even consider changing them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the answer. I changed the ones on my wing at about 30,000 miles and they still looked new with no change in the gap. The new ones didn't make a difference.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:59:48 PM »
My valve adjustment was at 18000 miles.  The tech came out and asked if I wanted new plugs, but showed me the almost brand new looking plugs that he took out.  I will wait until next major maintenance.

BTW, no valves were out of spec.....
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline dw4402

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
My valve adjustment was at 18000 miles.  The tech came out and asked if I wanted new plugs, but showed me the almost brand new looking plugs that he took out.  I will wait until next major maintenance.

I did my valves at 18K too and the spark plugs that came out compared to the new ones I purchased were almost no difference. I changed them anyway since i had them but won't when I do the next valve service.
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
That is just silly- take the tank off and drill holes in the frame.

Brian

I suppose you could drill holes in the tank.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Shoe

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
The holes would have to be big enough to get a grip on the stick coils.  >:(  Somebody please tell what is the advantage of having stick coils.  ::)
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »
There are several advantages: the voltage rise rate of the spark from a stick coil is faster than from a remote coil because the high tension (spark plug) wire acts as a capacitor. There is no voltage loss in the secondary, high voltage, side of the ignition because there are no wires and no wire joints between the coil and the spark plug. The weakest component in ignition system secondaries, the spark plug wires, are eliminated thereby eliminating a potential (and realistic) failure point. There is much less high voltage 'spray' flying around the engine compartment and the vehicle in general making far less interference for electronic devices in general and radios specifically. 'Coil on plug' systems are virtually impervious to water.

The move to 'coil on plug' system is the result of a series of steps in the evolution of spark ignition and the most current system being used. Before COP systems, there were individual coils for pairs of cylinders used for years just to remove the rotating parts of the ignition system, and that in itself was a tremendous improvement in the reliability and function of ignition systems.

Finally, it compliments KiPass nicely. Well, not really but it was an opportunity to use the word 'KiPass' Sort of like how you can get the words 'when suddenly' into any sentence in the English language....'I was typing a response to your post 'when suddenly' I thought I could mention KiPass'.  ;D

Brian

The holes would have to be big enough to get a grip on the stick coils.  >:(  Somebody please tell what is the advantage of having stick coils.  ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
^Aside from all of that, routing standard high voltage spark plug lines is problematic in itself, as they can't be bent too sharply or kinked.  It would take far more real estate to accomodate a set of high tension wires and a CD unit (or god forbid distributor or magneto) than it does to locate the COP coils, which sit flush with the top of the head anyway.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:49:05 AM »
O.K. so I guess the answer to my original post is NO!! There is no easy way to change the plugs. >:(

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:04:39 AM »
Sorry if your question was not answered clearly but no, there is no easy way to change the spark plugs. The frame above the engine's head (and the spark plugs) is solid so they must be removed from the sides. A lot of fairings have to come off, along with the frame braces and a lot of miscellaneous 'stuff' (wires, hoses, rubber covers, etc.) on
both sides before the plugs can be removed.

It is a downside of the C-14 when compared with a lot of other bikes. The upside is that the plugs do not have to be accessed very often; that does not make it any easier but the labor (or cost) can be spread over many more miles than the manual's 7,500 intervals.

Brian

O.K. so I guess the answer to my original post is NO!! There is no easy way to change the plugs. >:(