Author Topic: Electrical Gremlins!  (Read 1474 times)

Offline skidmarkrva

Electrical Gremlins!
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »
During my cross country trip, I've had several issues with my clutch safety switch. Occationally, the bike will only start in neutral with the clutch open (not pulled in), and will not start with the clutch closed (pulled in). Has anyone ever experienced this before and know where to start looking? I think I have a crossed wire somewhere but if someone has had this happen before it would save me a lot of time!

Offline connie_rider

Re: Electrical Gremlins!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »
Flush the grit out of the side stand switch with WD-40.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
Regardless of the position of the clutch lever, my '08 will not crank if it is in gear and the side stand is deployed. Maybe those times when you tried to start it with the clutch pulled in was because it was in gear, but the side stand was deployed.

Maybe that's because you are talking about an '08 C14..... and he's asking about his C10... which is totally different.... doh......

as for the o/p's question....
unplug and replug in the harness connections for both the side stand switch, and the clutch interlock switches a couple times each, after spraying them wit some WD40... they may have a compromised, or slightly corroded/resistive layer on the pins.
Also, either switch is prone to sticking after many years of use.. so getting to both switches, and spraying them to flush them, using WD40, cures 90+% of these intermitant failures (use the red snooter tube on the can, and shove it under the rubber boot of the sidestand switch, and spritz it good, making sure the rod on the switch moves fully both directions without any gritty feeling...).

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline skidmarkrva

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:02:20 PM »
+1 on C10 v C14, my C10 would always start in gear with the side stand as long as the clutch was pulled.
I had my forks off and the bike on its center stand, it fell on the side stand (which was also down) and bent it, and I think it's broken the switch there. My issue is the clutch safety, which I'll disassemble this week, thanks!