Author Topic: Floridiot in CO. SteveWFL visits Casa Hall  (Read 6040 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Floridiot in CO. SteveWFL visits Casa Hall
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:26:25 PM »
Stavee called last night, said Steve arrived from FL, suggested a ride through the mountains today. Well, duh  ;)

For a morning ride, Ralph always picks up a bucket of breakfast burritos, this AM was no different. Steve and Ralph arrived at my place about 8:00, coffee was barely ready, we talked bikes as we wolfed down the morning fare.

Deciding on a trip through the park (RMNP) we headed toward the bikes. Me on my 165k mile C-10, Ralph on his 'Silver-Dammit" C-14, and Steve on his 30 some-odd-thousand mile one year old C-14.

Only one problem, Steve noticed a nail, and it wasn't on the road  :(
[smg id=48] [smg id=49]
After another cuppa Joe, we headed out. Now if you don't know my place, turn one is 200 yards from my garage door. The rule is to whack on the loud handle as soon as you're pointing in a semi-straight line out my door, and we did. Little known factoid: Extreme acceleration with a new sticky-string plug installed, the sticky-string plug tends to get pulled out under the torque load. Back to the barn for another  :-\

I had to stop for fuel in Estes Park, it started to rain.... buckets, with what looked to be snow at the higher elevations. You can see RMNP from where we were. I opted to have another drink of water and let the major part of the rain pass, and it mostly did.

Entrance to the park was uneventful, it's a weekday after all, not as much traffic as on a weekend (barf). We stopped at about 11,000' and I took a few pix of Steve standing next to a snow cut that was well over his head. Steve will post these pix when he has the time, I'm sure.

On to the Continental Divide, and obligatory pix [smg id=51], then down the West side of the park, through Granby and Winter Park, and onto I-70 for the 'shortcut' into Frisco, Keystone, and Silverthorn (AKA the US-6 bypass of the Eisenhower tunnel) [smg id=52]

Steve checked into the Best Western in Frisco (think Frisco National), then we headed over to "The Mint" in Silverthorne for dinner. The Mint is somewhat rustic, but the food was quite good and the prices reasonable. Not to mention it's the first time I'd seen a Fat Tire beer in a 22oz bottle. Sure, I'll try one!

You do cook your own food, either steaks or Salmon / Tuna (I don't recall a menu of any kind) on a huge community grill, but my ribeye was quite good, and the wait staff a pleasure to talk with. The Mint is on CO-9, about 1/4 mile south of I-70 in Silverthorne.

After dinner we retired to the parking lot for our goodby's when a C-10 we passed in/near Winter Park pulled up. I forgot his name, but he's on the forum, and near Lawrence Kansas. I gave him my number/location and said to stop by. Ralph and I bee lined it back to the Front Range. Me via Central City parkway and Peak to Peak, and Ralph via Foothills Parkway.

All in all, a most excellent day  ;D

Steve is riding on a plugged tire. We totally thrashed it riding up the N side of Berthound Pass and I have no doubt the tire will get him back to FL, but you never know. From Four Corners Steve says he'll be visiting Vegas then L.A., then Phoenix, then across NM to Loo-see-anna and finally home. If you're along his proposed route, and know of (or have) a C-14 rear tire, stay tuned.

A couple more pix in my media album: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=9

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Floridiot in CO. SteveWFL visits Casa Hall
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:53 AM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN for everything, you guys are AWESOME!

I named that plug "JILL". If she behaves she"ll be with me through the remainder of Co and then the desert tundra then back east! Will she make it?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:20:31 AM »
You are lucky to live outside of estes park. I went there on vacation one year, its a beautiful place.

Steve, whats that round tube under your left saddlebag?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
After dinner we retired to the parking lot for our goodby's when a C-10 we passed in/near Winter Park pulled up. I forgot his name, but he's on the forum, and near Lawrence Kansas. I gave him my number/location and said to stop by. Ralph and I bee lined it back to the Front Range. Me via Central City parkway and Peak to Peak, and Ralph via Foothills Parkway.

Tom H., AKA Bikerhawk?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Very cool, hang in there Jill!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
Tom H., AKA Bikerhawk?

Yes sir I think that is exactly what he said his name is online
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
Jill the plug made it 490 miles today, no dramas nor issues! 

Now that doesn't sound like much, but it was one switchback after another in CO with routes SteveJ, Ralph/Rick turned me onto.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »
Tom H., AKA Bikerhawk?

That's the guy!

Tom rode in about four this afternoon. We yacked a bit then headed up to Millsite Inn for some grub and libations. Millsite is about 10 miles 'up the road a spell' from me on the Peak to Peak. A working man's bar in the hills, always good food there, and very biker friendly.

From there we drove up to Ward (aka "weird", ya gotta see it) then down the road to the split for Jamestown, up to Jamestown, then back on the P2P to Casa Hall. A nice hour long 'detour'. Couple of beers (and G&T's) later, Tom is now booked at the master suite at "Gram's Cabin" for the night.

Rick

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
Damn Rick, but you shouldn't be alerting the Concours masses that you live near there! I've ridden through there many times and need an excuse for another visit!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Jill the tire plug made it all over CO, UT (and off-roading in Moab along with 600 road miles in the desert), and is now in Vegas!

Death Valley may be the death of her?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
Damn Rick, but you shouldn't be alerting the Concours masses that you live near there! I've ridden through there many times and need an excuse for another visit!

Most of the Olde Guard (C-10) riders know where I live, some still visit! ;) Coffee pot is usually on, may have a beer or two in the fridge. I can always find space for a tent or two, maybe a real bed if I'm in a good mood.

Rick

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
A little less than 1700 desert miles on the plug, and a little less than 4K on the tire, and Jill is failing us.

I noticed when I got on the bike today she lost 3 pounds of air.  When i aired the tire back up and put a little water on the plug, it shows a pinhole leak of air.

Now, if it only loses 3 pounds between now and morning, I may try to make it on to Southern Cali.  I really want to leave Vegas while I'm at or near break-even!

I may cancel my plans to go through Death Valley due to the leak, I want to be where my cell phone works and the AMA towing can find me.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
Let me know if you need any help sourcing a new tire Steve, my buddy has his own shop so if he has what you need in stock I can have him ship it somewhere for you.

Bummer about Jill, she was a fun "plug"...  :-X

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 07:54:08 PM »
Let me know if you need any help sourcing a new tire Steve, my buddy has his own shop so if he has what you need in stock I can have him ship it somewhere for you.

Bummer about Jill, she was a fun "plug"...  :-X

Thank you very much

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »
Hey Steve,

I was in a similar situation, leaking plug, and I used a very small amount of Green Slime to coat the inside center of the tire, and seal the leak.  In my case, the plugs (there were 4) were all in the relative center of the tread.

I put the bike on the center stand, added just a 'splash' of the Green Slime, making sure not to put in too much so it wouldn't get all over everything, like the TPMS or the bead.  I then aired up the tire to over 50PSI, and rolled the plug to the bottom and let it sit while the pressure pushed the Slime around the plug.

It worked great, sealed the leak(s), and I ran the tire until it was almost bald.  After I pulled the tire off, there was only about a 1 inch wide strip of Slime in the center, and no where else.  It worked just as I had hoped.

Anyway, just an option for you to consider, to get you a some more miles and maybe some peace of mind, before you have to swap the tire.  You can find that stuff in almost any auto parts store, and even a few grocery stores.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:41:50 PM »
Hey Steve,

I have some Slime in the garage...if you want to ride back to Denver...you can have it!   :thumbs:

Enjoy the trip!
'02 C-10

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
That's the guy!

Tom rode in about four this afternoon. We yacked a bit then headed up to Millsite Inn for some grub and libations. Millsite is about 10 miles 'up the road a spell' from me on the Peak to Peak. A working man's bar in the hills, always good food there, and very biker friendly.

From there we drove up to Ward (aka "weird", ya gotta see it) then down the road to the split for Jamestown, up to Jamestown, then back on the P2P to Casa Hall. A nice hour long 'detour'. Couple of beers (and G&T's) later, Tom is now booked at the master suite at "Gram's Cabin" for the night.

Rick

Yes sir I think that is exactly what he said his name is online

Small world, eh folks? I've known Tom for 10-12 years, from the XS750 days.

Casa Hall is on my bucket list.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline bikerhawk

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:18:28 AM »
That's the guy!

Rick

Yep, twas me.  One of those chance encounters on the road...just happened to see a C10 & 2 C14s heading south through the pass as I was heading north.  After looping over & down into Silverthorne, I saw the bikes again parked at the Mint right next to where I was crashing for the night.  I was heading toward Dillon to search for tools to work on a rear brake issue when I ran into Rick, Steve & Ralph leaving the restaurant.  Some quick intros, the usual bike banter, and an invite from Rick to swing by later in the week if I'm in the area, then I had to take off.

A couple days later, I decided to take Rick up on his generous offer.  Gram's Cabin was a very unique & very neat experience in mountain living.  I fully expect to see Rick's canard make a landing here in LWC when it's finished (5700 ft main runway @ 800 ft elev).  Thanks for the ride & the hospitality!  When you're here in the area later, give me a shout @ seven eight five, seven six oh, one four three six.
Tom Hunt - COG #9207
Lawrence, KS - Kansas AAD
1998 C10, 102k miles (mine), 1994 C10, 35k miles (wife's), 2002 Super Sherpa

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
In Meridian, MS.  Worried about Jill.  Losing 10 pounds of air in 12 hours now. After seeing friends and relatives, was going to head to the Craolinas all back road.  May head to my brother's in Pensacola 5 hours away after visiting friends and relatives here, a lot closer and safer bet. Can always go back to Carolinas on new rubber later in the week. Over 4000 miles on the plug.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
In Meridian, MS.  Worried about Jill.  Losing 10 pounds of air in 12 hours now. After seeing friends and relatives, was going to head to the Craolinas all back road.  May head to my brother's in Pensacola 5 hours away after visiting friends and relatives here, a lot closer and safer bet. Can always go back to Carolinas on new rubber later in the week. Over 4000 miles on the plug.

Maybe Jill just needs a friend, like Mary, or perhaps Jenny?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250