Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 11205 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 06:37:50 AM »
Thanks for that, Rick.  I've been doing that at our local German restaurant in Fredericksburg.  Only the owner and other chefs are working doing take out but all the money is going to the wait staff as the owner is continuing to pay them.  He also keeps me supplied in bier.  I usually add extra money on the bill for them.

You know Williamsburg, VA is a tourist town and things can be shaky at best for some of the local businesses.  You always see a restaurant or two not making it through the winter.  The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is always having financial worries.  And don't get me started on the Pottery..  It was surreal going through that town with virtually no one at the hotels, restaurants, and stores.

Went in to the local Indian dealer in Fredericksurg and there was no one on the floor.  You could hear an echo.   One person on the phone and the owner was in the office.  Eventually the staff filtered back on to the floor and we started chatting about things.  They are selling bikes but not to the point of where it should be.  I think most of us still employed and in the IMRGF (Indian Motorcycle Rider's Group) try to go in at least once a week and buy something from them.  This dealer is more like a family to most of us.  Best relationship I've ever had with a dealer of vehicles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
We've had a few people treat us real nice where I'm at in Northern VA with tips in our delivery zones for the Dominos I work for. The dealer I work at as well has shortened hours and our slow season hasn't really picked up too much. Idk how long we'll stay open for given the current situation.

Definitely a stressful time, doesn't help having an 8 month old. I'm just glad my wife can keep working from home because I don't think I'll be seeing much of an income if this continues to get worse. But, as I keep telling myself and my friends that are out of work, we'll get through this and find a way. As long as we keep waking up every day, we'll be alright.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »
Best wishes to you and good luck!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 06:00:42 AM »
Well, the lockdown period in the RSA was supposed to end yesterday, but got extended by 2 weeks, a week ago...(Make sense?)

So we were in day 14 of 21, and the next day it was day 1 of 21, Season 2.

My booze is almost out, and smokes are running low. Black market is also nearing it's end now, as nobody has stock, and the cops destroy everything if the catch you with it.

Yesterday, our government announced that they will "ease it out of lockdown". F@ck knows what that means.....

As long as I stay home, I don't get paid, so don't know WTF I'm gonna do to cover my debit orders for house, car, insurances, etc. I wont be paying my kids' school fees this month, that's ma promise.

Enough bitching though..... seeing the other post got blocked, I couldn't add the Biltong recipe for you okes, so here is the link.

https://www.greedyferret.com/perfect-biltong-recipe-south-african-beef-jerky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2gvK8wp5e0

Apologies for not making it myself and showing you, as the $$ are a bit tight at the moment.

I'll remember to take photos the next time I make biltong....

PS, the biltong box has a normal globe as well as an extractor fan in it.

Let me know how your biltong comes out please?

:chugbeer: :chugbeer:

It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 09:27:49 AM »
It's very scary here Jim, although in Northern Ireland we haven't experienced the effects as badly as on the U.K mainland where death figures are horrendous

U.K statistics

Confirmed 65,077
Recovered ?
Deaths 7,978

It may be that the 'peak' is imminent,

Many of us know folks who have been stricken down with this virus or at least directly affected by it....it knows no boundaries and has no respect

Without being too dramatic, I don't think life as we know it will ever be the same again 

Here are the numbers for the annual seasonal [regular] flu-related deaths for just England (not Britain/UK):

2014/15: 28,330
2015/16: 11,875
2016/17: 18,009
2017/18: 24,408

Here are the numbers for the annual seasonal [regular] flu-related deaths in the USA:

2014/15: 51,000
2015/16: 23,000
2016/17: 38,000
2017/18: 61,000

Perhaps I'm missing something here Max? What point were you hoping to make with this comparison? 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
Perhaps I'm missing something here Max? What point were you hoping to make with this comparison?

It helps to put it into perspective, because many people tend to forget how many die from the normal "flu" every year; year after year after year.  And those who die are typically the same as with COVID19, those with per-existing health conditions (and I am in that category, unfortunately).   Is is also interesting to note the considerable variation year to year (2017/18 was almost triple 2015/16, for example).  Although there is a long way to go with COVID19, we (USA) still haven't even passed the number of flu deaths in 2014, much less last year.  And we have successfully prevented overwhelming the health system, which is good.  I have no doubt it will exceed last year's flu, however, probably by a lot (because this is a novel coronavirus, we have near zero natural immunity, no proven treatment yet, and no vaccine yet).

Of course, we also don't know the number of "regular" flu deaths for 2019/2020 (flu season isn't really completely over yet).  It will be interesting to see what those numbers are, or if any got moved into the COVID19 category in error (and how would we even know, since my understanding is that only a fraction of claimed COVID19-related deaths were actually tested), or vice-versa.  Current preliminary estimates are between 24,000 and 62,000 (for the USA).  I had the normal "flu" in 2008 and 2015, and I am vaccinated every year (for, I think, at least the last 20 years).

Since the flu season is now ending, that will be an additional burden off all nations' health systems, which is more good news.  It is a good time to start easing off on "lockdown" to prevent the economy from more extreme damage.  Those in higher risk groups, unfortunately, will still have to take great precautions; possibly for a very long time, only ending when an effective treatment and/or vaccine is available.  I have my fingers crossed, because since I have asthma and other issues, I am reasonably scared of what would happen if I get infected.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
I think Conrad's question, was relative... i.e., that "comparo between England, and the USA" is the point.. seeing as the USA pretty much covers over the complete map of Europe, area wise..

That said, I have NEVER had a flu shot, and won't.. back in '70's (iirc), when the swine? flu hit here in Ohio, I used to car pool to work with a guy that lived near me. He was a vegatarian, and a few years older than me.. very "picky" eater.. he got the flu shot at work, and the next day, when I went to pick him up, he opened the door and told me.. he was BLIND... totally lost his eyesight, and was that way for 8 weeks.. I would go take him food,(and food for his cats) and to doctors visits.. really made me think.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 05:25:05 PM »
It would seem that the data would be more relevant if it was a per capita comparison.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:04 PM »
I think Conrad's question, was relative... i.e., that "comparo between England, and the USA" is the point.

Oh.  I didn't think of that.  I thought the question was comparing the flu to COVID19.  I wasn't addressing the difference between England and the USA.  I added the USA statistics, because the majority of those on the forum are from the USA and not England (or Britain) and thought it would be interesting to see both.  Directly comparing the two location's total deaths is meaningless, primarily because it is not per capita.

That said, I have NEVER had a flu shot, and won't..[...]

There is a slight risk with all vaccines because different people's immune systems will react to it differently.  Generally, they are quite safe, and the risk is far outweighed by the positives.  In the case of the flu, the danger in having the flu are generally very low for most people.  So I can understand those balancing the risk/reward of that vaccine very differently than, say, polio.  Polio can be devastating, so one would have to factor that into the equation.  In my case, I have pre-existing conditions which make having the flu much more risky than most people, and I also work around many others who also have pre-existing conditions and many who are actively sick and/or have compromised immune systems, so it becomes a much higher priority that I am immunized.

Thankfully, I have never known anyone who had any kind of permanent injury from a flu vaccine.  I do know a few who developed short-lived, mild, flu-like symptoms because their immune systems over-reacted.  Interestingly, those few didn't have that reaction on every flu vaccine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 06:22:01 AM »

It helps to put it into perspective, because many people tend to forget how many die from the normal "flu" every year; year after year after year.  And those who die are typically the same as with COVID19, those with per-existing health conditions (and I am in that category, unfortunately).   Is is also interesting to note the considerable variation year to year (2017/18 was almost triple 2015/16, for example).  Although there is a long way to go with COVID19, we (USA) still haven't even passed the number of flu deaths in 2014, much less last year.  And we have successfully prevented overwhelming the health system, which is good.  I have no doubt it will exceed last year's flu, however, probably by a lot (because this is a novel coronavirus, we have near zero natural immunity, no proven treatment yet, and no vaccine yet).

Of course, we also don't know the number of "regular" flu deaths for 2019/2020 (flu season isn't really completely over yet).  It will be interesting to see what those numbers are, or if any got moved into the COVID19 category in error (and how would we even know, since my understanding is that only a fraction of claimed COVID19-related deaths were actually tested), or vice-versa.  Current preliminary estimates are between 24,000 and 62,000 (for the USA).  I had the normal "flu" in 2008 and 2015, and I am vaccinated every year (for, I think, at least the last 20 years).

Since the flu season is now ending, that will be an additional burden off all nations' health systems, which is more good news.  It is a good time to start easing off on "lockdown" to prevent the economy from more extreme damage.  Those in higher risk groups, unfortunately, will still have to take great precautions; possibly for a very long time, only ending when an effective treatment and/or vaccine is available.  I have my fingers crossed, because since I have asthma and other issues, I am reasonably scared of what would happen if I get infected.

I think Conrad's question, was relative... i.e., that "comparo between England, and the USA" is the point.. seeing as the USA pretty much covers over the complete map of Europe, area wise..

That said, I have NEVER had a flu shot, and won't.. back in '70's (iirc), when the swine? flu hit here in Ohio, I used to car pool to work with a guy that lived near me. He was a vegatarian, and a few years older than me.. very "picky" eater.. he got the flu shot at work, and the next day, when I went to pick him up, he opened the door and told me.. he was BLIND... totally lost his eyesight, and was that way for 8 weeks.. I would go take him food,(and food for his cats) and to doctors visits.. really made me think.

My question about your point contained both of the above. I just wanted to know what you were about here and I didn't want to make the same mistake I have previously and jump to the wrong conclusion.

Yes, the flu numbers are still WAY higher than the C-19 numbers but you do have to remember that those are annual counts, 12 months worth. C-19 has only been killing folks in the US since February, 2/6/20, according to the latest data from California.

I'm with MOB on the annual flu shots. I've never had one. My wife gets one every year and she's been after me to do the same. I've refused in the past but this year may be different... 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2020, 06:55:24 AM »
I've had flu shots as long as they've been out starting from about 1968 or so.  Still alive.  I will say that the first one in 1968 made all of us sicky.  I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) since that time.  And will continue to get the shots as long as they are provided.

I'm not as much worried about the actual 'normal' Flu, I'm more worried about the side effects such as pneumonia.  A possible side effect of Covid is now coming to light such as blood clots.  This is interesting as my son in law's mother came up with that and had to be taken to the hospital.   They treated that and then found another one in her leg.  Tested her for Covid and she did not have it but they did not test for antibodies either.

I'm not saying that what she had was directly related to Covid but at this point I think everything is on the table as far as possible side effects.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »
Looks like some states are opening up gradually whether they have plateaued with cases or not.   I'm torn on the disease vs the economics of the pandemic.  It's a real hard decision on what to open up and how to do it.  It really doesn't make any difference to me if they open or not though.  I won't start visiting places again like normal until they have a vaccine for the virus.  Definitely won't attend any large groups or rides or travel on public transportation like airlines until a vaccine is out.

Drove out to Colonial Beach just to get out of the house yesterday afternoon.  Went by a house there on the inlet and the garage was packed with people (it was raining).  I've been wondering where the new cases keep coming from and I guess I found my answer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2020, 09:54:20 AM »
It really doesn't make any difference to me if they open or not though.  I won't start visiting places again like normal until they have a vaccine for the virus.  Definitely won't attend any large groups or rides or travel on public transportation like airlines until a vaccine is out.

Education + freedom is a good thing.  Since I am high-risk, I will continue to be careful and taking precautions (like you), regardless of what is open or not.

I am getting low on paper towels, which I buy about once every two years or so (typically "bundle" of Kirkland brand).  I do hope people will stop stupidly hoarding.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2020, 01:36:17 PM »
Right.....people stopping hoarding.  I laugh in your general direction.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2020, 01:50:06 PM »
actually, up here in Ohio, we have found that things like TP and such, have gradually returned to the stores, as the "hoarders" have seemed to reached "maximum capacity" on their stock pile storage space..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
actually, up here in Ohio, we have found that things like TP and such, have gradually returned to the stores, as the "hoarders" have seemed to reached "maximum capacity" on their stock pile storage space..

I can picture closets, garages, and attics full of TP to fight the virus.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
I can picture closets, garages, and attics full of TP to fight the virus.

speaking of closets.. wee turned our linen closet into our wine bottle storage.. no shortage of that now.. and a wise use of space.. I'm off to check the "supply" and freshness... again...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2020, 09:34:35 PM »
speaking of closets.. wee turned our linen closet into our wine bottle storage.. no shortage of that now.. and a wise use of space.. I'm off to check the "supply" and freshness... again...

I have to admit, part of one of my bedrooms is filled with stacks of Premiere Protein drinks.  I am not hoarding, but I buy it in bulk when it goes on sale at Costco because it is $7 off per case, which is a lot of money saved (I drink one as breakfast every day).  Unfortunately, there is a limit of 2 per visit, so it takes quite a few trips.  It has about a year shelf life, and it goes on sale about every 6 to 9 months.  So I stockpile enough to get me to the next sale.  It does act as a nice "emergency ration" though, I suppose.... as long as it can be consumed cold.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2020, 06:18:00 AM »
We celebrated our 43 wedding anniversary last week, pandemic style.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2020, 03:20:49 PM »
We celebrated our 43 wedding anniversary last week, pandemic style.

Congratulations!