Author Topic: Gerbings heated gloves  (Read 12636 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Gerbings heated gloves
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Question for you guys:

If I went with these Hybrid ones:
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/hybridGlove.php#

Could I power them with this powerlet connection without needing a temp controller? What would the downsides be? Or would I still need to buy a controller??
http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-low-profile-to-coax-female/520

If temp controller still needed, could I use the simple $17 on/off one listed on this link (what would the downsides be?) or would I have to go with the $70 one listed??
http://gerbing.com/Products/tempcontrols.php

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
Hard to believe, I know.

I've tried all kinds of things and spent all kinds of money to stay warm on a bike.  I really wish I had gone the powered heated way to begin with.  I could have bought more farkles.  I run the jacket liner and gloves 99% of the time (Gerbings).  I have the pants and the socks as well but they're for subzero weather.  The battery stuff is for ski bunnies.  Power is the way to go.

However.....you are old and your bones are brittle. You probably turn the heat on in the house when it dips below 70 degrees outside, I see you laying in the sun like a reptile to keep warm. :rotflmao:  You know I luv ya Robin! ;)  I miss my heated grips, I am thinking of installing some much sooner than later. If I need heated vest, socks, and gloves to be comfy when riding.....that means it is too cold for my liking.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Question for you guys:

I wouldn't even mess with batteries in the glove, Jay.  I think you'd be wasting your money.

You should go with these:  http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/GLLR.php
or these:  http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

Added benefit....they're black.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
or these:  http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

Ya, I was looking at those too Sparky, the cost is a little less than the hybrid ones which I guess would help offset some of the cost of the then needed controller...  :-\

So more questions for you guys...

At what point would I need to worry about power consumption etc?

I currently have heated Corbin front & rear, gps, radar detector, and heated grips. I don't have a fuzeblock or similar, by adding heated gear would I then need to add a fuzeblock or similar??  :-\

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
I have no experience with those gloves so cannot guess whether or not they might need a controller.

The problem with a switch is having to constantly turn it on and off. The controller basically does that for you; it is called PWM (pulse width modulation) and simulates the gloves (or any clothing) is on some percentage of 100%. As a poor example, you could control the central heat in your house with a simple switch and just turn it on and off as needed but most of us find a thermostat far more convenient.

Brian

Question for you guys:

Could I power them with this powerlet connection without needing a temp controller? What would the downsides be? Or would I still need to buy a controller??
http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-low-profile-to-coax-female/520

If temp controller still needed, could I use the simple $17 on/off one listed on this link (what would the downsides be?) or would I have to go with the $70 one listed??
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
I run two full sets of heated clothing and the bike can keep up at somewhere around 90% so heated gloves or heated gloves and a jacket liner is of no consideration. The other things you mention are all relatively small current draws so altogether with gloves and jacket liner you won't tax the alternator or electrical system.

For just gloves, you can get away with the accessory port if you do not exceed the five (5) amps. Watts = volts X amps, so at 14 volts and 5 amps you can draw about 70 watts from that circuit. Just add up everything plugged into that circuit, then add the gloves (12 or 27 watts depending on which you buy) and see if you go over the limit. If you go over, you will have to run another circuit to the battery or use the charging whip you already mentioned.

If you go with a jacket liner then you will need a higher powered whip anyway as the liner alone is 77 watts. Add gloves and you might be well over 100 watts, or about the same as both headlights draw (low beam). At that point I strongly recommend a dedicated 15 amp whip connected to the battery. You can then use that whip for battery charging, tire pump power, heated clothes, etc., etc. as needed. This is based on the idea that you will not be charging the battery, running the air compressor and using heated clothing all at once of course.  ;)

Brian

Ya, I was looking at those too Sparky, the cost is a little less than the hybrid ones which I guess would help offset some of the cost of the then needed controller...  :-\

So more questions for you guys...

At what point would I need to worry about power consumption etc?

I currently have heated Corbin front & rear, gps, radar detector, and heated grips. I don't have a fuzeblock or similar, by adding heated gear would I then need to add a fuzeblock or similar??  :-\

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 01:15:42 PM »
Great points and info Brian, thanks!  :hail:

This is my first time down this road of heated gear, so I appreciate all you guys guiding me down the right path!  :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
For those of us who ride in [not summer, not all beautiful days] conditions, heated gear is like wimminz- there ain't no goin' back.  ;D

I think what most people misunderstand about heated clothing is that it does not make riding when it is cool or cold tolerable, it makes it pleasant. When we get to someplace after about October, especially if it is at night, lots of people ask 1) if we're cold 2) how we can stand to ride at XX temp. 3) point out that it will be even colder later in the evening, etc. If someone mentions this before I get out of my gear, I always try to grab that persons' hand and stick it inside my jacket liner before he / she even realizes what is going on and the reaction is always the same- 'my what a body', followed by 'say, it is really warm in there.'  Heated clothing is expensive, a pain to put on / take off for riding, requires wiring of the bike, requires some fiddling with a controller, requires plugging in an unplugging each time getting on and off the bike, and is the single greatest thing I have ever found to enhance and extend motorcycle riding. One other thought- a lot of 'tough guys' can power through 20 minutes of riding in fairly cold weather, and even quite cold provided they prepare and dress for it. But spending hours at highway speeds will take heat away from a body no matter what clothing is worn; traveling at better than about 50 MPH at temps. lower than, say, 45 F or so will sap everyone and begin the process of hypothermia. The entire ride becomes one of how far you can go between stops to warm up. Heated clothing simply removes that entire situation from the process; you can ride as far / long as you want without regard to the temperature (speaking within reason here, 25F or 30F is about the low limit for unlimited riding IMO).

I try not to spend other people's money and I do not suggest anyone run out and buy anything because it is not my business. But heated gear is about as close as I normally get to overstepping my bounds; if one is inclined and thinks he / she needs or even seriously could use heated gear, it will probably be one of the best expenditures ever for anyone who would like to either ride more (longer in the year, longer rides) or ride more comfortably. By the way, I live in southern New England where we have 'real' summers and I always bring my heated jacket liner with me on anything longer than a 10 minute trip. There is not a month in the year that I have not used that liner, with heat, usually at night coming home from a fairly long trip that I might have been perspiring the entire way out. Wearing a mesh jacket and having the temp. drop to 62F, it is fantastic putting on the liner and just cracking the controller about 10%. Again, it makes a very tolerable ride into a more pleasant ride.

And no, I do not work for Gerbing or any company that makes heated clothing.  ;D

The one downside to heated clothing is that once you are counting on it and it fails, you are really in a corner. I had a controller cord go bad (failed from being bent for years under my jacket) about 50 miles from home when it was in the 30's F. I simply could not have made it home, at least in one continuous ride, without the heated gear (jacket liner, gloves, pants and socks all fed from the same controller so all failed). I stopped in a local Radio Shack, bought a connector and tape, borrowed a knife from the clerk and stood at the counter and made a new harness to get me home.

Brian

Great points and info Brian, thanks!  :hail:

This is my first time down this road of heated gear, so I appreciate all you guys guiding me down the right path!  :chugbeer:

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
I have no experience with those gloves so cannot guess whether or not they might need a controller.

The problem with a switch is having to constantly turn it on and off. The controller basically does that for you; it is called PWM (pulse width modulation) and simulates the gloves (or any clothing) is on some percentage of 100%. As a poor example, you could control the central heat in your house with a simple switch and just turn it on and off as needed but most of us find a thermostat far more convenient.

Brian

Back when I purchased my heated gear years ago, I bought the dual controller.  To me it is to much of a hassle to use the controller.  All I did was hook up the plug to the battery and ran the plug our of the front part of the seat between the tank.  Only about 3 or 4 inches stick out.  In the summer I put the plug under the seat.

I have both the gloves and jacket.  If I wear the jacket the gloves hook to the sleeves.  If I don't need the jacket and want to use just the gloves, I carry a wire hookup for just the gloves.  As for power, I use a simple on-off switch.  I get cold and I turn it on, I get hot and I turn it off.  One wire, and about as simple as you can get.

The switch, which you can get from Gerbing hooks inline and cost about $10.00 if I remember correctly.  I have had no problem with power draw on my C-10, but I do turn the gear off when I am in stop and go traffic.

2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »
For those of us who ride in [not summer, not all beautiful days] conditions, heated gear is like wimminz- there ain't no goin' back.  ;D

I think what most people misunderstand about heated clothing is that it does not make riding when it is cool or cold tolerable, it makes it pleasant. When we get to someplace after about October, especially if it is at night, lots of people ask 1) if we're cold 2) how we can stand to ride at XX temp. 3) point out that it will be even colder later in the evening, etc. If someone mentions this before I get out of my gear, I always try to grab that persons' hand and stick it inside my jacket liner before he / she even realizes what is going on and the reaction is always the same- 'my what a body', followed by 'say, it is really warm in there.'  Heated clothing is expensive, a pain to put on / take off for riding, requires wiring of the bike, requires some fiddling with a controller, requires plugging in an unplugging each time getting on and off the bike, and is the single greatest thing I have ever found to enhance and extend motorcycle riding. One other thought- a lot of 'tough guys' can power through 20 minutes of riding in fairly cold weather, and even quite cold provided they prepare and dress for it. But spending hours at highway speeds will take heat away from a body no matter what clothing is worn; traveling at better than about 50 MPH at temps. lower than, say, 45 F or so will sap everyone and begin the process of hypothermia. The entire ride becomes one of how far you can go between stops to warm up. Heated clothing simply removes that entire situation from the process; you can ride as far / long as you want without regard to the temperature (speaking within reason here, 25F or 30F is about the low limit for unlimited riding IMO).

I try not to spend other people's money and I do not suggest anyone run out and buy anything because it is not my business. But heated gear is about as close as I normally get to overstepping my bounds; if one is inclined and thinks he / she needs or even seriously could use heated gear, it will probably be one of the best expenditures ever for anyone who would like to either ride more (longer in the year, longer rides) or ride more comfortably. By the way, I live in southern New England where we have 'real' summers and I always bring my heated jacket liner with me on anything longer than a 10 minute trip. There is not a month in the year that I have not used that liner, with heat, usually at night coming home from a fairly long trip that I might have been perspiring the entire way out. Wearing a mesh jacket and having the temp. drop to 62F, it is fantastic putting on the liner and just cracking the controller about 10%. Again, it makes a very tolerable ride into a more pleasant ride.

And no, I do not work for Gerbing or any company that makes heated clothing.  ;D

The one downside to heated clothing is that once you are counting on it and it fails, you are really in a corner. I had a controller cord go bad (failed from being bent for years under my jacket) about 50 miles from home when it was in the 30's F. I simply could not have made it home, at least in one continuous ride, without the heated gear (jacket liner, gloves, pants and socks all fed from the same controller so all failed). I stopped in a local Radio Shack, bought a connector and tape, borrowed a knife from the clerk and stood at the counter and made a new harness to get me home.

Brian

Brian

I bought my gear about 10 years ago and really hated to spend the money.  After I purchased the gear and used it, I wondered what I had been doing all those years.  I could have bought numerous sets of heated gear for what I spent in previous years on jackets and such trying to stay warm.  Heated gear is the best decision I have ever made on winter riding gear.  As for the controller going out, every one that uses a controller should invest in the on-off switch for that just in case time.  I also carry an extra wire harness.  Doesn't take up any real space, and is good insurance.
2001 BMW R1150GS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
If I don't need the jacket and want to use just the gloves, I carry a wire hookup for just the gloves. 

FH,
When using just the heated gloves without the heated jacket do you run that wire up and through your standard jacket and out the sleeves to plug into the gloves or do you just have that wire dangle on the outside?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »
Jay, when ya coming up so we can spend some money?  You won't be dissapointed.  Once ya have the heated jacket, you will always wonder why ya didn't do it sooner.  That is a simple fact, not opinion.  We can pick em up, come to my place, install the dual contoller, and send ya home a happy man.  We can even take some pics down at the lake, make some cover ready shots ;D

FH,
When using just the heated gloves without the heated jacket do you run that wire up and through your standard jacket and out the sleeves to plug into the gloves or do you just have that wire dangle on the outside?
If you wear just the gloves, the harness is best run through the sleeves.

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

FH,

No I don't.  I tried that and to me it is a hassle, plus I really don't like the feeling of the wires under my jacket.  I just took the harness that came with the gloves and used some electrical tape and shortened it to a manageable length.  I did not cut them just bound them.  It is no big deal to cut out the extra wire once you decide where you are going to put your plug if you want to do that.  I have not had any problem with wind flapping the wire, or the wire getting in the way of my controls.  You just have to use a little bit of common sense when setting it up.  On trips I have a small magnetic tank bag that I put a loop in and I usually run the wire through it with the on-off switch on top where it is convenient to get to.
2001 BMW R1150GS

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
By the way, you do not need a dual controller to power multiple pieces of clothing. A single controller will power up everything through one connection using a 'Y' connector which Gerbing will furnish if you ask for one (free as I remember). The dual controller is nice because it allows you to run things at different power levels but it is not nessasary. However, if you do have a dual controller and one side fails, you can then use the other side with a 'Y' connector to power up all the clothing.

As far as the guy not using a controller, while I know that will work my clothing gets so hot when it is mild in temp. that it is very uncomfortable to intolerable, especially the jacket liner. I find a controller is needed.

You can buy a cheaper controller used in the hobby world as a motor speed controller but it is not waterproof and will require a bit of wiring to use with Gerbing connectors. For example this controller would work perfectly but would require a box and some wire soldering to be used in our application: http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/CKMX033.htm

Brian

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
Jay, when ya coming up so we can spend some money?  You won't be dissapointed.  Once ya have the heated jacket, you will always wonder why ya didn't do it sooner.  That is a simple fact, not opinion.  We can pick em up, come to my place, install the dual contoller, and send ya home a happy man.  We can even take some pics down at the lake, make some cover ready shots ;DIf you wear just the gloves, the harness is best run through the sleeves.

Sounds fun, might just have to take you up on that Chet!  :chugbeer:

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
I live in Texas.  Yes it gets cold here now and then.  LOL  I'm from North Dakota and winter riding was something I didn't do much of up there.  But I moved here and temps in the teens to 30s are very doable because we don't get much ice, but the teens make for COLD riding.

I ADORE my jacket liner and G3 gloves.  No doubt about it, they make the ride PLEASANT.  I commute 95% of the time.  I walk into the building carrying my helmet when it's a cold winter day and people always say, "Are you COLD?"  I show them the plug and say, "it's like wearing an electric blanket."  LOL  It really is. 

I did the switch thing at first as well, but found the "ok, I'm too hot, turn it off.  ok, i'm too cold, turn it on." routine annoying.  The controls let me set a level and leave it alone.  I have my plug come out the left side under the tank, and just plug in when I get on.  Easy peasy, japaneesy.  I briefly thought about the battery gloves, but abandoned them for many of the reasons listed above, so I can't really add to that.  Gerbing sells the battery cord for cheap...so installing one on more than one bike is easy.

The glove only harness they send is worthless for me.  I'm simply longer in the body than this unit will allow, so it totally short-arms me.  But I haven't really wanted to wear just the gloves since getting the jacket liner.  And of course the beauty of the dual controller is I can shut the jacket liner OFF and keep the gloves on should I so desire. 

And to echo another thought... I'll never be without again.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »
Ok, so I think I've figured out what I want... I'm still flushing out some small details though so go to the the C14 accessories section and help me close this thing out...  :chugbeer:

T5 gloves...
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

Jacket liner...
http://gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedJacketLiner.php#

Permanent dual-temp controller...

Panel mounted port kit...
http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.php

Am I on the right track now??  :-\

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
Close Karate kid, you will want 2 ports, when the gloves are not being worn one plug is vacant.  I will be getting the basic flush mounts, no need for the extra wire.  I will be getting the glove liners, I saw Brians on his last trip and to me they are the cats meow, similar in size to my silk liners, which rock BTW, and will allow me to run a thinner glove.  I'll keep the FGs for the long running nasty stuff.  3 years and they look like new, sure was happy to have em when I needed em, but the silkies work well enough with the grips.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:23 PM »
Close Karate kid, you will want 2 ports, when the gloves are not being worn one plug is vacant.  I will be getting the basic flush mounts, no need for the extra wire.  I will be getting the glove liners, I saw Brians on his last trip and to me they are the cats meow, similar in size to my silk liners, which rock BTW, and will allow me to run a thinner glove.  I'll keep the FGs for the long running nasty stuff.  3 years and they look like new, sure was happy to have em when I needed em, but the silkies work well enough with the grips.

2 ports? Really?  ???

Doesn't the jacket liner have a seperate line for the gloves off of the one main line into it or did I just mis-read that??  :-\

If true, good catch and thanks, but please help me understand... thanks Chet!  :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »
The leads coming from the jacket controll each item, thats the why for 2 controllers.  When I am just using the jacket I plug in one and the extra lead is coiled into a handy pocket inside the jacket.  When it's time to wear the jacket off the bike the cord is removed from the junction and stowed in the same pocket.  Inside the jacket is a 2 wire/cord junction, the cord has a Y with a lead for each piece of gear.  Really is a slick setup that's easier to perceive in person.  Once you have the setup it will be time for the misses.  Warms hands, warm, core, and warm neck.  Hard to beat when mamma nature is busy leaking down on ya.