Author Topic: And now Polygamy...  (Read 12578 times)

Offline Stasch

Re: And now Polygamy...
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
Well, I do think there will be some limitations: marriage will be limited to humans. Brothers and sisters (and any immediate family members (Easy Boys! Not THOSE members!) and all forms of incestuous marriage would also be rejected due to 'immediate and severe harm' as the litmus test (deformed offspring). Otherwise, I really cannot see why there would be a legal, constitutional standing to limiting marriage to two people. ??

People said the same type of thing several decades ago about what is common place now.

What if the parties involved get themselves sterilized or for some reason cannot conceive?  Or just make a provision to automatically abort any resulting pregnancy in those cases, or if a child is born anyway, just kill it?  That way we can assure those people their rights too.  Absurd and far fetched?

We are currently unmoored and adrift to the prevailing winds.  Slippery slope in living color.

EVERYTHING is up for re-definition without an absolute moral standard.  Therefore ANYTHING is possible.  And its happening fast.

I read somewhere that some pedophiles are now looking for equal treatment using the same argument. That would certainly be a RED line for me. I really don't care who you marry but do not mess with one of my grandkids.

I agree (emphasis bolded from your comment) and I fear for the environment mine will have to live and grow up in. 

From what basis would you successfully argue against such a thing when the precedent is a (non) standard that is readily re-definable?  Its just YOUR line you don't want crossed, but perhaps not someone else's.  Would we let a stranger offer our 5 year old a candy bar and then molest them, all the while saying the child is free to decide what's right and wrong for them?  Why not?

Perhaps we should be caring who people marry when it paves the way to things like this, just as the ignored voices warned would happen. 

No person is an island.  It doesn't just affect them.  It affects you and me, and more importantly, our kids and grandkids.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2898715/Woman-celebrating-decade-marriage-two-pet-CATS-says-never-happier-no-plans-human-husband.html

Woman who is celebrating a decade of marriage to her two pet CATS says she has never been happier (and has no plans to find a human husband)
Barbarella Buchner, 48, is celebrating the 10th anniversary of her marriage
She 'married' 14-year-old cats Spider and Lugosi in January 2004
Says they make her happier than a human husband ever could
Cats consoled her during break-up with last serious boyfriend
Londoner now lives in Lanzarote with her feline husband

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
Actually, that is an interesting twist on the point of incest. Suppose two siblings DID want to get married but would offer proof of surgical sterilization...... hmmmmm. That just may satisfy the legal reasons why that is not permitted. Then it would be down to the "icky" factor and the "traditionally we do not allow that" arguments which are frankly pretty thin, especially in light of recent developments.

There goes another 'it cannot happen' rule perhaps. Glad I have a small family and no one has any siblings of the opposite sex (I believe all members of my immediate family are heterosexual).

I think we may need to form an island and put in some rules for those living or even visiting there. The catchphrase would be 'Not on MY island you don't!'.

Has anyone else noticed that as we progress down this wide 'diversity' road, we also seem to be re-segregating ourselves? Not legally on in any forced, collective way but some groups seem to be avoiding other groups and putting distance between themselves and the 'others'.

Brian

People said the same type of thing several decades ago about what is common place now.

What if the parties involved get themselves sterilized or for some reason cannot conceive?  Or just make a provision to automatically abort any resulting pregnancy in those cases, or if a child is born anyway, just kill it?  That way we can assure those people their rights too.  Absurd and far fetched?

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
That's what comes from 'celebrating diversity'.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »
We'll see what we see and how the lower courts handle it...but it's interesting never the less.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2898715/Woman-celebrating-decade-marriage-two-pet-CATS-says-never-happier-no-plans-human-husband.html

Woman who is celebrating a decade of marriage to her two pet CATS says she has never been happier (and has no plans to find a human husband)
Barbarella Buchner, 48, is celebrating the 10th anniversary of her marriage
She 'married' 14-year-old cats Spider and Lugosi in January 2004
Says they make her happier than a human husband ever could
Cats consoled her during break-up with last serious boyfriend
Londoner now lives in Lanzarote with her feline husband

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
What's your point?  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »
I don't want a 1st "wife", WTF are guys thinking wanting multiples  ;D

I was under the distinct impression that the 1st wife/spouse was for trade-in after the starter marriage.  :o
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 11:22:23 AM »
I was under the distinct impression that the 1st wife/spouse was for trade-in after the starter marriage.  :o

...like starting out on a 250 or 300cc starter bike and looking for something faster for the second season...

I thought it'd be funny to introduce my wife when we went to the first family reunion after our wedding as "My First Wife..."
She didn't share my amusement...    Neither did any of my married relatives.  Weird - all my single buddies thought it was hilarious...   :doh:

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 11:53:29 AM »
A man never knows when or where he might meet his next ex-wife......
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »
Many women (my wife included) do not have our sense of humor about these things.  I'm still being whacked around the head and ears for things I say or look at and we've been together for 41 years.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »
It's heating up.
In the news today is 2  gay couples are suing a Clerk that refused to issue them a marriage License.
In an attempt to not show prejudice.
She stopped issuing "any" marriage Licenses.

I believe that the Non Gays that were not issued Licenses, did not join in the litigation.

Yes, I know law of the Land, and as a Employee of the Gov. she is required to issue the licenses.
She said she refused because of her Christian beliefs.

Guess we'll have to watch and see what happens.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 03:04:15 PM »
Where?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
Unintended consequences.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Where?

If I'm not mistaken this is going on in Kentucky.... My opinion is as a government employee her refusal on religious belief may very well get her fired.... It is her job to shuffle the paperwork....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 07:27:43 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
What if govt just removes "marriage" from its book altogether?

What problems wouldn't that solve? (or would it cause?)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
The current income tax laws are rife with marriage benefits.  It certainly helps me out.  It would be a major re-write to change that...   Not out of the question but I don't see that happening yet.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »
What does marital status have to do with taxes? Why does it matter? Sounds like another way to control the populace.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
Dunno, but it matters to me.  I get more tax breaks filing that way and as long as it's in the code, I'll use it as with any other tax breaks I can find.  I tried looking for when it was put into the tax code but I'm coming up empty.