Author Topic: Temporary Gas smell  (Read 4989 times)

YoDoc

Temporary Gas smell
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
Every time I shut off my bike, it smells like gas for about 10 minutes. i.e. if I leave the garage door open for ten minutes after I park the bike, no smell, but if I shut the door right away, it smells like gas for hours!

I can not find any leak anywhere. Is this something that carburetor bikes just do?

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Temporary Gas smell
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
I will get that sometimes also, but I am sure mine is coming from expansion of the tank. I notice it on warm days and when you park the heat from the motor will cause a small amount of expansion that vents out of the cap. Next time try to take a wiff of air around the cap, and then down arond the carbs, you will probably be getting it from the cap.
Good luck.
Ride saf all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »
The gas cap will "whistle" too. Open the cap and it stops. I've noticed particularly after a hot ride and I've filled up just before I parked.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »
I have the same issue, I just park it outside and let it cool off then wheel it into the garage.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
Do not lay your jacket or helmet across the tank, you'll smell gas for a week on them.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
But it gives me such a nice buzzzzzzz

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Probably cures smoking, too. ;)
2014 C-14 Red

YoDoc

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »
Outstanding. I'm glad I don't have anything to worry about. This is the first time I've ever owned a carbureted bike in years, and certainly the first time I've owned one with four!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »
Try Beano....LOL

+1 to above posts.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline red2000

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:47:13 AM »
I had this problem earlier this spring when I first started riding again after winter.  My milage was also lower than usual.  I was going through a prep. and clean up session while my tires were being mounted and discovered I had a small split in my fuel line right at the petcock.  I think it was leaking there while the bike was running and gas was flowing.  When I stopped it would quit leaking so it was hard to detect leak but there was still the smell of gas.  Might be worth looking at.

Todd   

YoDoc

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
I'm gonna check on that. What's low? I've only run one tank through, and I got 40.3 mpg.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
40.3 isn't bad.  if you watch a bunch of guys have added the fuelly link to their posts, anywhere from 37 to 43 is what I'm seeing on most bikes, and depending on how hard I hit the throttle i bounce around in there a lot. 

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 06:22:55 AM »
I get this too.  Some gas smell, and whistling through the gas cap.  Especially with a hot, full tank.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
Friend with an 07 ZX-14 has a serious whistle going on when hot and a full tank: seems to be a norm.