Author Topic: Connie vs newer bikes  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Irish GTR

Connie vs newer bikes
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
Do many of you have newer bikes with fuel injection, abs etc. and still hang on to Connie...the reason I ask is that I am lusting after a FJR1300 which in my view is a beautiful looking bike apart from being a more modern motorcycle.
I have a spotless 95 Connie with upgraded brakes/suspension/handlebars etc. and am very fond of the old girl simply because I know it inside out and can tackle any job on it.
Can't see myself keeping 2 bikes but then again...
Who has been through this?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Connie vs newer bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
Two bikes 2 different era. With the prices of the fjr and C14 being so low you could have both. How long have you had your 1995 C10?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 02:34:43 PM »
'08 C14 ABS
'88 Nekid C10 COGZilla
'78 KZ1000Ltd

all in my garage...
should never have sold my '86 in retrospect....when I bought my C14.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
I kept my 03 Connie when I bought a 2014 Connie.
I sometimes ride the 03, plus I use it as a spare to allow others to ride with me.
Another enjoyment for me is to tinker with things on the 03.
EZ to work on.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
I’m no c10 owner but my other bike was a ‘91 katana 1100 which I did a lot of sport touring on and for most of the last 7 years, it has just been collecting dust. I have a near new radial tire in the rear that is 8 years old and hard as a rock.For touring I had large soft bags, tank bag and travel bag to bungee cord to my Corbin seat.
With the C14 ( and not all of these will apply to fjr!):
1) Fuel injection! Starts instantly in freezing weather , no choke, bike runs great at sea level and at 12,000’
2) better mpg- old bike got 40mpg, c14 gets 50mpg.
3) traction control and abs
4) power! With a reflash, bike is as fast if not faster, than a ‘92GSXR 1100!
After owning a c14, it’s hard to want to ride another bike . I was curious about the new goldwing until I found out it has less luggage space. You never get tired of that power. At sea level, bike wants to wheelie when you gun it entering a freeway.
This bike could be your jack of all trades bike because it’s comfortable, has lots of cargo space, handles well and offers excellent power. Yes, I know new 600cc sport bikes offer similar acceleration
but it’s pretty easy to get up to speed on the big bike.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
Not to dis your C10 (I have one too!) but the sale value on these now-a-days is very low, so it makes complete sense to hang on to your beautiful 95 AND get something newer.

Yes, its easy spending other people's money!
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Irish GTR

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that my old 92 Connie is still here also minus handlebars, carb parts etc. I kept it as a spares bike for the 95! so I have previous form in not being able to get rid of 😁 either bike would be hard to sell now in Ireland so if I was to be honest it looks like a growing garage🙄

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
Any bike that is 20 year old is worth not more than it’s weight in scrap. However, nostalgia is a powerful thing, no harm in letting it guard that unused corner of garage.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »
So true.

My 2001 is not worth much. The 1995 is worth no more than 500-800. So selling it doesn't always make sense.

Any bike that is 20 year old is worth not more than it’s weight in scrap. However, nostalgia is a powerful thing, no harm in letting it guard that unused corner of garage.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
it's not about the money...
My '78 KZ off and on, spent almost 13 years total time, in rented storage facilities, before I resurrected it for the second, (and third) time(s...)..
when I bought it, I spent about $3k total, after financing it... if I add up the storage fees, and time spent during it's life being upgraded.... well, lets just say I have paid a couple $K more for "owning" that bike in my garage now, than I did when I bought my '08 C14, new, @$14,238 o.t.d.
 don't even get me started on how much $$$$ was dumped into COGZilla, which was a $500 "parts bike" when I bought it...

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline route66tc

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 04:18:03 AM »
What something is worth is affected greatly by who you are asking.  Look at the price of a 98 Goldwing.  Pretty expensive scrap to me anyway.  Lots of bikes like that out there.  My 05 is such a great cold weather bike that I just don't see myself selling it.  Factor in that it's super easy to work on, is cheap to plate and insure and comes with a load of great people to help keep it on the road.....why sell it?  Just because the rest of the world doesn't appreciate our C10's  doesn't reduce my love for them.  If you sell a C10 for $800-$2000, that amount of money isn't going to change your life much.  I just don't see a good running C10 ever being worth less than $700.
If someone has a nice C10 within 100 miles for $500, I'm a buyer!  How many of us have sold bikes or cars many years ago only to find ourselves wishing we would have kept them?  My list of stuff like that is too long.  Doesn't seem like many people look very far down the road (I sure didn't) in regards to what something might be worth in the future.  How many are wishing they still had that 69 or 70 Chevelle that is now worth a bunch?  I know SISF is starting to nod off (WAKE UP STEVE! :rotflmao:) so I'll end with this little bit of honesty......If the day ever comes that any of my cars or bikes are worth a bunch, I would have a hard time letting them go.....like when my grandpa sold his milk cows.....I believe there were some tears involved.  Call me nostalgic! 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
Yes, as others have said, it doesn't make sense to sell it (in this case them, since I'm assuming you' throw in the parts bike in the price) at least until you value the storage square footage used more than you do the bikes themselves.

Well, maybe yes and maybe no depending on the bike. In fact, the value may climb again if well maintained. My 42 year old GT750 is worth more (not by me, but rather in $ on the open market) than my 2010 C14 is.

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
I bought a 2014 FJR1300A in November of 2013 and had a 2003 Concours that I bought new in August of 2002. I had modified the Concours with the engine from a ZRX1200 (and many other modifications to improve handling).

I kept both for awhile since my wife found the Concours more comfortable than the FJR but she basically began to lose interest in riding (mostly due to age and arthritis). I sold it in August of 2014.

The bikes were so far apart as far as technology I quickly lost interest in the Concours. The FJR is so far and away more modern, comfortable and reliable I don't miss the Concours at all.

Dan

Offline Irish GTR

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:18:02 AM »
Thanks Dan, your last paragraph unfortunately sums up where I will be if I go for an fjr..kinda sad but true.
Thanks to all for the replies..pic of the old girl

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »

The bikes were so far apart as far as technology I quickly lost interest in the Concours. The FJR is so far and away more modern, comfortable and reliable I don't miss the Concours at all.

Dan

I think 11 years of development would provide a reasonable explanation of the differences of which you speak.
If you were to compare a modern C14 to the FJR it's probably a different story.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
There will always be something newer, more comfortable and more modern. I have never been married but I think that is why many men have ex-wives.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:34:03 PM by DC Concours »

Offline Irish GTR

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
DC concours... interesting analogy..🤔

Offline katata1100

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
That part is debatable. ST bikes are a dyying breed .Motoguzzi dropped theirs, it’s been decades since Honda updates the st1300 and with electric cars becoming more popular and the decline in gas usage, I doubt japan is putting their brightest minds to make more gas bikes. I’ll say this, Honda makes a new Goldwing every 20 years and I bet the next one won’t be a gasser.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »
My 05 C10 IS my newest bike.

I love it. EZ to maintain, EZ to fix, plenty powerful....could wish for better brakes, but otherwise, hard to fault.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline amigoride

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
This is an interesting question.
I recently (in July) picked up a real nice 2007 FJR. It sits in my garage beside the 2005 Connie I have owned since new.
We can all agree that the two are very different.  I truly love the old Concours for a variety of reasons. It has been a comfortable, reliable, fun ride for 12 years. It still looks like new because I religiously maintain it.
The only time I might choose to ride the Concours over the FJR is when the weather is ugly. You can't beat the protection it provides. Aside from that the FJR ,in my opinion, is a better ride in every category.  Well, I might give the Connie a slight edge two up loaded.
I don't have time to ride both so the old girl will go to a lucky new owner in the Spring.
I won't get much for it but amortized over 12 years this has been an unbelievably inexpensive bike to own.
No matter what your opinion, there is no wrong answer.
From time to time I will miss my old friend but never when I am aboard the FJR.