Author Topic: Bearinged up shifter  (Read 28409 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Bearinged up shifter
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
Any pictures of it installed or being installed?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
Any pictures of it installed or being installed?
Doesn't really look any different installed except for a slightly smaller diam. bolt head. The install is pretty straight forward. Remove original bolt, press out bushing, press in bearings and spacers, install shim on either end of the installed bearings slide in new bolt, apply some loc-tite, tighten and you're good to go. It did not take much more than light force to remove the bushing and install the bearings / spacers.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Murph

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
Well ok, if'n you want to do it the right way. I left everything connected and just did it by the bike. ;)
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline dbird29

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
+1
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
I don't like posting this here but I would like to resolve the problem. I sent Murph payment via PayPal on the 16th for this kit. Then on the 23rd I ordered Two Throttle Rockers and had asked that they be sent together. All paymrnts went thru. So far I have received One Throttle Rocker and NO Bearinged up Shifter kit. I called and emailed with all the details as soon as I received the One Throttle Rocker but have gotten no responses.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
I don't like posting this here but I would like to resolve the problem. I sent Murph payment via PayPal on the 16th for this kit. Then on the 23rd I ordered Two Throttle Rockers and had asked that they be sent together. All paymrnts went thru. So far I have received One Throttle Rocker and NO Bearinged up Shifter kit. I called and emailed with all the details as soon as I received the One Throttle Rocker but have gotten no responses.

I'm sure he will take care of you.

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
I'm sure he will. I havea ordered other items and reponses were always very prompt, thus my concern now.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
He's on vacation, which is probably part of the no response problem. I have a shifter on order, should be in the mail now. Crossing fingers and toes . . .

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
To avoid misperceptions and worry in the future, we should ask Murph to post up when he's out of town.

BRILLIANT IDEA #3 !!!!
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
Hey folks,

I have a few emails wanting to know why the BUS (bearinged up shifter) has not turned up in some mail boxes.  Very sorry as I have been out of the office and not able to respond to all the emails. We have had one part on back order so it kinda shut things down for a few days. After a hefty next day air shipping fee we are back in the biz of sending folks this product...

Best
Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Maybe this has something to do with it....

Offline Murph

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »

My records indicate we responded with an email the 28th explaining your order had been confused with another. As mentioned  on a post here, and noted by alpha, we had a supply problem on an item for the kits that has been resolved. I have also had an auto responder on our mail, and a note on the site we were out of the office and not shipping for a few days, which is over.  I did get your email from last night, but only about an hour ago. I do recall a left phone message, to which I thought the 1st email addressed. I'll have your parts headed north tomorrow.   ;)

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
Thanks Murph, you are correct, you did send me an email explaining the delay, which I missed. Thanks for the great service, great products,  and prompt follow up.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
Strange this topic hasn't come up in *8 years*.  Anyway, I just installed Murph's "Bearinged Up" triple ball-bearing shifter today.   Haven't ridden yet, that will be tonight.  The instructions are a bit odd (nothing uses a 5mm allen wrench), but it was easy.  I would say the instructions added confusion and delay, but even with that, it took maybe 15-20 min.  Now that I know what to do, it would take maybe 5 min.  Fit well- but the bearings weren't terribly tight- I could push the bearings in with my finger without too much effort.  The web site says it might be necessary to "lock tite the bearings to the shifter", but I didn't bother.  It feels very solid.  Put the old parts in a little baggie and added it to the collection of "original stuff".

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=463&osCsid=8gyGJIyI5UQ11nKiqOrJq1

The bolt shipped now is black instead of silver.  Isn't terribly pretty but I don't care much :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
  Anyway, I just installed Murph's "Bearinged Up" triple ball-bearing shifter today.   

Even though I do have this same (older version) farkle on my C14, I have to think that this is the most un-needed almost un-noticable farkle ever created for the C14.
This is the farkle you chose to get your tools out and work on installing, instead of changing your air filter? Ha!  ;D
You are a forum treasure max'! :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
Even though I do have this same (older version) farkle on my C14, I have to think that this is the most un-needed almost un-noticable farkle ever created for the C14.

:)  That is probably why it took me 8 years to get to it!  At least it is cheap and easy.

This is the farkle you chose to get your tools out and work on installing, instead of changing your air filter? Ha!  ;D

Well, there are things I can do alone and with reasonable effort, and things I can't.  Filter has been here and ready, it will be installed when I do all the other stuff pending "under the covers."  On my ZRX, it was a matter of removing the seat (10 seconds), removing the filter cover (30 seconds), and putting in the filter (5 seconds).  On the Concours, fitted with fallover bars, it can be a multi-hour "experience" (depending on how cooperative it is).

You are a forum treasure max'! :thumbs:

I aim to please... or at least entertain!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
Haven't ridden yet, that will be tonight.

So, 2 trips, > 100 miles later.  Good news and bad.  The good news: Wow!  It really DOES make a noticeable and pleasant difference/improvement!  I should have done it ages ago.

Now the bad:  A 1mm+ gap had opened up and it was no longer snug.  I checked the bolt and it was still at 10ftlbs.  Backed it out some and there was considerable and continuous resistance.  So I tightened it to 15, then 20 and it was solid and the gap gone.  Called my mechanic friend and he told me if that was going into aluminum, I should not have gone above 12 or so or risk stretching the threads (too late now), and I don’t know if it is going into aluminum, but it probably is.  He also told me that by turning the bolt at all, I broke the lock-tite, and asked if I had cleaned the bolt before using the lock-tite.  I said "no", the instructions said nothing about that.  We debated if I should remove it, clean it, reapply locktite, and risk [additional, if there is any] damage, or just leave it alone now and monitor.  I opted for leaving it alone....

:(

Offline CDII

« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
Hi Maxtog

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the lok tite seal.
That stuff is pretty good. Although not as good as when it originally sets up it should still offer some
"stick" to the threads.
Keep an eye on it and see if it loosens.  :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
I opted for leaving it alone....

Kinda your favorite option about bike maintenance in general wouldn't you say?  ;)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »
Kinda your favorite option about bike maintenance in general wouldn't you say?  ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :popcorn:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.