Author Topic: #LoveWins  (Read 27023 times)

voileauciel

#LoveWins
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for it, since GLBTQ issues never really seem to be discussed in this forum, but after 31 years of being treated like a second class citizen, it's nice to know that's no longer the case. Marriage equality has been guaranteed in all 50 States by a 5-4 Supreme Court decision.

I'm sure not everyone here will agree with this, and that's ok, we're humans, we disagree with each other from time to time. However, for those of us that this directly effects, it's nice to finally join the club and be able to share our lives with the ones we love, enjoying full legal protection at the same level as our heterosexual counterparts.

To any and all in this group and elsewhere that helped in the fight to bring our country to this monumental decision today, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  :D

Offline MrPepsi

Re: #LoveWins
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
I live in San Francisco, I'm happy to see that they will now begin to get the same respect we all do when it comes to marriage and hopefully all that comes with it. I can't even imagine having a loved one, who you had lived with for 20 years, being in the hospital and being told you're not family, you can't visit.

Its about time.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »
I am happy for those that were affected by this - congratulations!! I consider myself a traditionalist and a Christian, but I firmly believe on not judging someone because of their orientation. I won't claim to be non-judgmental either, but I will judge if a person is honest, has integrity, kindhearted.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:56:38 PM »
I am happy for those that were affected by this - congratulations!! I consider myself a traditionalist and a Christian, but I firmly believe on not judging someone because of their orientation. I won't claim to be non-judgmental either, but I will judge if a person is honest, has integrity, kindhearted.
   I like your style. I wish there were more people like you. The world would be a better place.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
My mother told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

All I will say is that I think the SCOTUS got it wrong.

Sorry to rain on the parade but everyone gets to have an opinion ... this is mine.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
Don't care if queers marry or not, but the should not be allowed to raise children.
Mother and a father.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
An odd thing happened to me today. I went to a ballgame and they started to play the anthem. I just could not get myself to stand for it. Instead I walked out and went to the rest room.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »
I knew this thread was doomed.
Too many people just can't help themselves.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 12:59:13 AM »
Don't care if  :censored: marry or not, but the should not be allowed to raise children.
Mother and a father.

There are quite a few  :censored: up kids running around that were 'raised' by a mother and father. Who's to say it can't be done better just because the couple is not man and woman?

I censored your posts when quoted because I felt you used the word in a derogatory manner. If that was not your intent, I apologize.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 01:00:22 AM »
An odd thing happened to me today. I went to a ballgame and they started to play the anthem. I just could not get myself to stand for it. Instead I walked out and went to the rest room.

I hope that was sarcasm or a joke.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 06:23:46 AM »
People this is right on the cusp of getting locked.  Discussion is fine.  Derogatory comments are not.  >:(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »

You couldn't stand for our anthem? You should have stayed in the restroom...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
Why shouldn't gays have mothers in law, too?

The CotUS already gave gays these "rights". No law was needed.
Stil think its wrong. The Bible says a man ought not to lay with another man, mm.

I HAD a brother who was gay.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »
You couldn't stand for our anthem? You should have stayed in the restroom...

+10. I agree....
but he didn't say how long he spent there, or why, really...

I think its time this made its way to the arena...
where those with narrow or closed minds regarding human rights can be bashed, without reprise, just as they themselves bash those that deserve their rights to be upheld.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kwarrgtr

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »
Its called progress, in 20 years time we will all be wondering what the fuss was about, and hopefully the HR will be focusing on more important issues.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
We will see but the fact that it is still out here, not <yet> needing any moderation (apparently in the opinions of the moderators) speaks volumes for the behavior and general population of this forum IMO. My compliments to all who have kept this thread open this long. Or rather, I guess, those who could have closed or moved it already and did not.  ;)

:thumbs:

Brian

I think its time this made its way to the arena...
where those with narrow or closed minds regarding human rights can be bashed, without reprise, just as they themselves bash those that deserve their rights to be upheld.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
Its called progress, in 20 years time we will all be wondering what the fuss was about, and hopefully the HR will be focusing on more important issues.

Like beer in every household.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »

I remember when an unwed couple couldn't rent an apartment together.  In twenty years polygamy will be legalized to cover the bisexuals who want a husband and a wife.

I bring this up because in God's eyes heterosexual cohabitation out of marriage is a sin, just like homosexualality, coveting, stealing, etc.  Our laws were based on biblical views but that is now changing.  Making something legal doesn't make it not a sin though.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »
You know, in the application of Title IX to college athletics many colleges and universities closed down some men's programs.  This was done to meet the equal rights requirement for college athletics.

I suppose that we could apply that same method to the rights allowed to married men and women in opposite sex marriages that a government issued license guarantees since giving gay people those same rights seems to be a sticking point. (I believe, after all, that the SCOTUS decision probably applies only to those rights guaranteed by the marriage license since the government MUST stay of out the religious aspect of marriage.  It seems as though some people think that having the same legal rights somehow casts some of the religiosity of opposite sex marriage onto gay marriage. This is probably not the case.)

For instance, we could outlaw purchasing health insurance for your opposite sex spouse through your employer as long as it's outlawed for same sex spouses.  Opposite sex partners should have no say in the medical treatment for an incapacitated spouse as long as a same sex spouse has no say.  Survivors rights to common property should be abolished for opposite sex marriages also. 

Given our divorce rate and the legal costs of divorce, this particular solution may be workable.  Save marriage for the religious and do away with marriage licenses altogether.  Separate marriage from any legal rights at all.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 12:14:40 AM »
So, I'm a devout atheist and my fiancé is a verrry Christian-oriented woman.  We would have no right to marry then??

There is no one who cannot be defined as some sort of minority based upon some kind of "difference".

Everyone has something "different", be it physical, psychological, philosophical, behavioral, or a combination thereof.  Everyone can be discriminated against by someone else at sometime.  When it is allowed against "them", then some day it will be allowed against you.  All it takes is a small swing in the political pendulum.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.