Author Topic: GPS Shopping op  (Read 2423 times)

Offline kzz1king

GPS Shopping op
« on: August 02, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »
After my recent trip to the mountains I discovered a phone  is a poor substitute for a GPS..  looking for something cheap ad it most  likely will one be on the  bike a week a year for trips out west. Not concerned with waterproof
 Just good satellite acquisition and usability. Did I mention inexpensive?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: GPS Shopping op
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
The GPS I use is a Garmin Nuvi 270. It's hard to see in sunlight and hard to hear with helmet and earplugs, but it works in the mountains where phones don't even act as phones.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
I also use a Garmin Nuvi.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »
Since it won't be on the bike THAT much a Garmin Nuvi would be the way to go.  Get lifetime maps.

If it was going to be more bike-specific, I've been very happy with my TomTom Rider.  They are 2 very different animals though.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
Does the Nuvi have audio out? Thanks
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
I'm still running an ancient Garmin 2610, and some how I lost my cable that allows me to plug into a computer to "update" stuff... now it's useless, and won't aquire the sat's..

I think I'm going another route now, and picking up the Garmin "remote" plug in Sat antenna, and software, and mount it on the bike, and use an older un used now "tablet", for my screen, inside the clear cover on my tank bag.
That gives me a screen like 4x larger than my GPS... old eyes like that idea...
just have to find a work around to get power to the tablet.... it only has one micro USB, as a data or charging port.. and even tho the Sat antenna has a usb for power, it has a data wire to computer output usb also... hmmmm gotta call Garmin...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline olie

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »
I use a Nuvi but if the sunlight is intense I see nothing !!! Still looking to find the one I can see under sunny conditions.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 07:20:14 AM »
The tablet idea sounds interesting
 Like the idea of a bigger screen. Finding one I can see in daylight maybe should become a priority!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
Kzz1king, the Nuvi I bought is a Nuvi 2599LMT.
It says; Voice operated navigation allows you to keep your hands on the wheel".
             It has Bluetooth technology and I assume will connect directly to my Sena 10R headset.
                {I've never used it in this manner}.

I've also had some problem's seeing it in bright light, but found out that flipping up my dark shield and changing the angle slightly solved the problem.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 08:00:11 AM »
Audio out (hard wired, plug in type) has become almost impossible to find on new GPSs from any mfg. I have been looking for a while and they just are not being made anymore, and my Starcom system requires it the way my bike is set up.

If you really want to keep the price down and want something daylight readable, you might look at an older used or refurbished Zumo 550. I am currently using one of those along with a Garmin 665, and the 550 is the only one that works in direct sunlight. It is fairly old and no longer supported by Garmin but they are 'around' via Ebay and third party electronic houses. Again, tough to get maps for and POI but they do work well for motorcycle use, especially because they have real buttons instead of touch screen, which I find tough to use on a moving motorcycle. And the 550 does have audio output in stereo, as well as Bluetooth.

Brian

Does the Nuvi have audio out? Thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
This might be just what your looking for. GPS and mount.

http://forum.cog-online.org/c-14-emporium/techmount/

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »
I cannot access it. Am not a member .

This might be just what your looking for. GPS and mount.

http://forum.cog-online.org/c-14-emporium/techmount/

Ride safe, Ted
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
Kzz; I'm unsure how to assist as he is a Forum subscriber there.
I PM'd him, to try to get a post to you here.

Or you can go there and become a Forum Subscriber?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »
Ah hell...here you go....

Offline Berk
Tricycle
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)
AREA: Northwest Area
COG#: Forum
Membership Level: Forum Subscriber

Techmount
« on: July 17, 2019, 04:41:34 pm »
I have a Techmount milled aluminum mount in a titanium finish that mounts on to the C14 handle bar base. It is well made and a great looking product. It put my GPS in a perfect viewing position. My new bike has Helibars and it came with a Garmin Zumo with a Ram mount. I think the Techmount looks better and is more solid than the Ram system, but it won't fit on the Heli bars. It comes with a Ram holder for a Garmin Nuvi GPS and an adapter plate so you could switch holders for other accessories.  I have the longer bolts the you need if you have risers, otherwise I think you just use your existing bolts. Only takes a few minutes to install and matches the factory aluminum very nicely

New it was $80 for the mount, $15 for the holder and about $20 for the adapter.  I'm thinking $50 plus shipping for the whole package.  For $75 I'll even include a Garmin Nuvi 285W, it is a blue tooth model that has very limited battery life but works well when plugged in with a 12v mini usb (not included). It isn't a motorcycle specific unit so they are hard to see when it is bright out but a good deal for the price.

If everything goes well there should be a few pics attached.

Thanks,
Al

* IMG_2152.jpg (334.19 kB, 3024x4032 - viewed 56 times.)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
 Thanks guys. Sounds like a great deal. SEE what I can do.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
Thanks for the effort gpink and connierider. It is sold but at least you guys got me checking out the other forum. I appreciate the help.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »
It's a good forum and good people with a lot of information.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 11:16:26 AM »
The tablet idea sounds interesting
 Like the idea of a bigger screen. Finding one I can see in daylight maybe should become a priority!

I would not recommend this. Lots of vibration, and plenty of hard hits even on our squishy bikes. Plus the Cell chips in tables are even less superior to their cell phone counterparts. They are often 3g, older chips. I would not expect a good quality cell signal in the mountains out of a tablet.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »

I would not recommend this. Lots of vibration, and plenty of hard hits even on our squishy bikes. Plus the Cell chips in tables are even less superior to their cell phone counterparts. They are often 3g, older chips. I would not expect a good quality cell signal in the mountains out of a tablet.

I can't comment for certain, but I think a tablet laying flat on my tank bag, is pretty robust construction...we did use it briefly in our truck, for guidance/mapping when it had an active SIMM chip, but when the screen got a crack in it, we retired it to be used at home, wi-fi only..  and when I mentioned it, I also mentioned using a remotely mounted GPS antenna to pull signal.. ( not using a simm card, or phone services for location), but plugged into the tablet to be used as a simple "screen".. I also have a small Laptop computer, ACER model, with a 9" screen, it has a solid state hard drive,multiple USB ports, a 12v lighter plug for aux power, and has been carried for thousands of miles in my side bags without failure..  it's really compact, and I've considered using it strapped to my tank bag also in combo with a GPS antenna, and programs.. Garmin and a few others make them, and they are very low $$

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »
Very good points, inserted into a tank bag pouch would certainly be pretty safe.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"