Author Topic: Have I priced my bike right for quick sale?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline eng943

Have I priced my bike right for quick sale?
« on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:16 AM »
Listing on Cycletrader next week or two. Wanting some input on if this is priced right for relatively quick sale.

2017 C14 1735 miles. $11,990

MC Cruise
AST Pullback Risers
AST Foot peg lowering brackets
AST Passenger backrest
2 Helmet locks
Puig Touring shield
MAdstadt
Tech Spech Tank Grippers
Shoodaben mountain runner flash.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
Re: Have I priced my bike right for quick sale?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:41 AM »
I'll give you $5k today if you want a quick sale.

It all depends on the market where you live. In Atlanta, Concours is simply not selling. There's a guy who's been trying to sell his '08 for months. It's listed at $4500 right now. Obviously, yours is newer and has fewer miles so it's normal for you to ask for more. If you think $12k is fair, I'd go for it. I think it's fair.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
What are new ones selling for in your area. Different markets are different. Most mods add very little value to your bike unless you happen across a buyer that wants the exact mods you’ve done.

My 2017 was $11,700 when I bought it new, just over a year ago, and I’ve seen them advertised as low as $11,100 brand new in this area since I bought mine.

Price out what advertised prices are on new ones in your area and then price yours accordingly.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer, but I think you are priced high for a quick sale. You are priced fairly however (IMO). The only farkle that may add value to the general shopper is the McCruise...maybe. The best thing you've got going is the model year and the low mileage. You just might be better off stripping it and selling your farkles separately and then lower the price closer to trade in value. If you just want it out of the garage but don't need the money right away then see if a dealer in your area will sell it on consignment and then give them a year to do it. What they think you can get out of it would be much more accurate than anything that I say.

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »
I may consider listing it lower then.

The cruise control adds value that goes beyond what other mods bring when it is time to sell. One of the main reasons the C14 does not sell well is because it does not come with CC, and not everyone wants to incur the expense and inconvenience of adding it.

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »
That cruise is around $800, maybe an extra $600 to have someone install it. The install took me a long time but well worth it.
The cc, shield and flash are worth $2k and are musts in my book. If I were in the market for new, that and the price would swat me.

Offline eng943

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »
Sure beats the $9K I was offered on trade.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
Seems high to me.  I have seen new left over Concours listed as low as 10,999.  Of course that is with a full 3 yr warranty.  Personally if I wanted Cruise control I would buy one from Murph for under 300 and just install it.  I don't really think that it brings the value of the bike up that much.  I think the price needs to be 10k or lower. But what do I know, I am cheap.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/mcd/d/berkeley-springs-2017-kawasaki-concours/6790843777.html

Good Luck
Fred
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:58:58 PM by fmwhit »

Offline eng943

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »
Seems high to me.  I have seen new left over Concours listed as low as 10,999.  Of course that is with a full 3 yr warranty.  Personally if I wanted Cruise control I would buy one from Murph for under 300 and just install it.  I don't really think that it brings the value of the bike up that much.  I think the price needs to be 10k or lower. But what do I know, I am cheap.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/mcd/d/berkeley-springs-2017-kawasaki-concours/6790843777.html

Good Luck
Fred

Well if a dealer is offering $9k wholesale on trade I sure would not go to the trouble of selling it myself and asking under $10K. Agreeing to disagree with you.   

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »
Think about this: When shopping for a used bike, which is more preferable: "100% stock" ... or one with a bunch of mods that you may or may not want, which also includes the possibility that the seller installed them himself and may not be as mechanically inclined as you wish he was.

Plus, a bike that's already got some of the mods the buyer has in mind, well those mods are also taking some of the fun away from the new bike ownership experience. Do guys like to farkle their new bike? You farklin' right they do.

I think that if you really stop and think about it, the used bike most buyers would value highest is nearly always going to be "100% stock, never modified". (if you have to leave off the "never modified" part, that's OK, it's still better than a pre-farkled bike).

I actually think you'll be lucky to find a buyer who will pay any extra for the cruise. So, if you could remove it yourself and sell it on here for a few hundred, well that's probably a few hundred you're not gonna get if you sell the bike with it. Just my opinion, of course ... Good luck!

Offline eng943

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »
Think about this: When shopping for a used bike, which is more preferable: "100% stock" ... or one with a bunch of mods that you may or may not want, which also includes the possibility that the seller installed them himself and may not be as mechanically inclined as you wish he was.

Plus, a bike that's already got some of the mods the buyer has in mind, well those mods are also taking some of the fun away from the new bike ownership experience. Do guys like to farkle their new bike? You farklin' right they do.

I think that if you really stop and think about it, the used bike most buyers would value highest is nearly always going to be "100% stock, never modified". (if you have to leave off the "never modified" part, that's OK, it's still better than a pre-farkled bike).

I actually think you'll be lucky to find a buyer who will pay any extra for the cruise. So, if you could remove it yourself and sell it on here for a few hundred, well that's probably a few hundred you're not gonna get if you sell the bike with it. Just my opinion, of course ... Good luck!

Thanks, and I just proved you wrong. Buyer is thrilled that the cruise control is already on the bike, and he does not have to bear the full cost, and down time for install.

I would generally agree with your theory, however in the case of the C14, having some desirable aftermarket mods is much more of an attribute than the contrary. Getting accessories for pennies on the dollar on a pre-farkled bike is a nice bang for the buck. Dealer trade in however, they tend to prefer unmodified bikes.       

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »
Buyer is thrilled that the cruise control is already on the bike, and he does not have to bear the full cost, and down time for install.

Hey that's great ! So, congrats are in order?...or do you not have the money in hand just yet?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
I have always told myself that someday I’ll replace my c14 with a ‘wing.
The new wing came out last year and has less cargo capacity than my c14. Seeing how my c14 has
everything else a wing has ( heated grips,cruise, blue tooth, auto turn signals , electric windshield ) I thought it
would be a wash. Add in the mountain reflash and that wonderful power that makes it 2 secs quicker in the quarter and it’s a downgrade.
I guess I can say that the farkles have saved me me from spending $28k on a wing.

Offline BadgerApaches

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »

Good Luck
Fred

2018s at 9999 in Illinois, 10,600 OTD. 

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 02:31:45 PM »
As others have said, farkles are hugely subjective.  My guess would be that someone selling a farkled bike shouldn't expect to get more than 10-15% of what he or she paid for the farkles on top of what they consider just the bike worth.  I base that on figuring perhaps just 25% of the average bike's farkles are likely to appeal to a wide segment of buyers, then factor depreciation of the farkles themselves and figure 10-15 cents for every farkle dollar spent.

Performance-related farkles probably yield a better ROI at sale time, as opposed to aesthetic, ergonomic, or those for 2-up riding. 

Offline PH14