Poll

Should Brian purchase a new C14? Answer like we're in the control room at NASA.

GO!
21 (100%)
No Go
0 (0%)
Better go ask Andrea first Brian.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 18, 2020, 05:33:50 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Should Brian (aka BDF) buy a new C14?  (Read 5868 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: POLL: Should Brian (aka BDF) buy a new C14?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
Well, this price Ted worked out in TX is turning out to be one of the best deals. Unfortunately, it is almost 2,000 miles away. On the bright side, the route home does take me right by, and I mean w/in 10 miles, of a little fellow named Sam who I have not met yet but I am told he looks a lot like his very handsome grandpa...... The dealer in TX to Sammy's house is about 1,150 miles or so and <should> be able to be traveled in two days at most. Then a short stay followed by a 9 hour ride home which is doable on a mostly stock C-14 I believe. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Found one in New Joisey for less than a grand more, and that too might be negotiable. I certainly would not go past NJ and to TX to pick up a motorcycle for, say, $500. And of course I could point the new bike southwest and still make it to Sam's house and then home. But it is risky showing up in NJ and trying to negotiate because if it does not end well then I am in NJ with no motorcycle and it will not be practical to travel to TX from there.

This late in the year I really need some heated clothing but also would really rather not try and install a wiring harness in the dealer's parking lot. :-(

Whatever I do I suppose I will have to fire up SPOT so you lunkheads can follow along with my folly.  ;) ;D

Sounds like I may be complaining but not really, I think it is great to have some fantastically good first- world problems! I will consult with Kirby and Mr. Elkhoof; it is only fair as they have to live with my decisions involving motorcycles and I would hate to embarrass or disappoint either one of them.

I think BDF's in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.
BDF, in 2014 I bought mine from Kawasaki City in Irving as it was the best price in Texas.
Sales guy is Adrian.
I think they still have the best price and their near you.
NOTE: They sometimes also carry used or new Older models at great prices.

Just checked with Adrian and he has 1 new 2019 in stock, no used or NOS, should be receiving their 2021's in 1 month..
New 2019; (MSRP $15,599.00) (SALE PRICE $11,7999.00) (Out The Door IN TEXAS with TT&L $13,287.00)

https://www.kawasakicityirving.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=6288452&p=1&vc=sport%20touring&s=Year&d=D&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&fr=xNewInventory

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If you go by there, tell Adrian that your the character I warned him about.  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 02:55:12 PM »
Did I mention Adrian sed {since your a friend of mine  :o }
He will arrange to pick you up at the airport if you fly in?
The OTD price for out of state is less than I posted, and you handle the taxes in your state...
hint, hint,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »
Yep, you mentioned the pickup at the airport, and you mentioned the out- of- state price: $11,800. I am weighing the price vs. the cost of travel, especially the big variable of how far I can ride a mostly stock C-14 in a day. And now I have to add in the weather which has gone below frost overnight here, meaning I will have to pick and choose my days due to the lack of power for heated clothing.

It may seem petty but the final straw is the semi- gloss paint. I just do not care for it although it did not look as bad in person as I thought it would. Honestly, if the 2019's came in the same color as the 2016's did, a mid- tone gray, high gloss, this would already be over and Andrea would be complaining about how long I was staying in the garage :-)

Did I mention Adrian sed {since your a friend of mine  :o }
He will arrange to pick you up at the airport if you fly in?
The OTD price for out of state is less than I posted, and you handle the taxes in your state...
hint, hint,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »
I will have to pick and choose my days due to the lack of power for heated clothing.
I think some phone negotiation could be done to have the dealer install a SAE battery tender type fitting on the
bike and you could make or buy a SAE to 12v coax adapter before you leave home bringing your heated gear with you.
If you make your own you could even put in a bridge rectifier in case the dealer installs the cable with wrong polarity.

Andrea would be complaining about how long I was staying in the garage :-)

I'm sure she prefers you out of the house...OH! wait....she still thinks you are going to finish the upstairs part of the house after you get a new bike?..HA! .Poor girl.  :( :'(

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2020, 05:49:50 AM »
That is an excellent idea Marty! I had not thought of that but it is something most or all dealers can do.

That is an idea that could Make America Great..... Again!

Sorry, I could not resist.

I think some phone negotiation could be done to have the dealer install a SAE battery tender type fitting on the
bike and you could make or buy a SAE to 12v coax adapter before you leave home bringing your heated gear with you.
If you make your own you could even put in a bridge rectifier in case the dealer installs the cable with wrong polarity.

I'm sure she prefers you out of the house...OH! wait....she still thinks you are going to finish the upstairs part of the house after you get a new bike?..HA! .Poor girl.  :( :'(

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »
And/or you could build your own harness {with appropriate fittings} and mail it to them to install during Make Ready.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »
And/or you could build your own harness {with appropriate fittings} and mail it to them to install during Make Ready.

And/or just use the accessory jack (lighter socket) on the dash.  It is a measly 5A (60W) but my vest, for example, is only 50W, I think.  You could probably push it to 7.5A by swapping in a larger fuse for this one time, which would be 90W, which should be enough for most stuff.  Using a controller, you could safely limit the draw.

Then you don't need to do ANY wiring to the bike, at least not for this one trip...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 04:55:15 PM »
My heated gear draws something like 150 watts or a hair more, if I use all of it. And it has been cold enough here already to need all of it, not very many times but I would like to have the option if stuck in another state with hundreds of miles to travel.

But the battery tender is really a good idea that I will probably use if I end up pursuing a bike out of state.

And/or just use the accessory jack (lighter socket) on the dash.  It is a measly 5A (60W) but my vest, for example, is only 50W, I think.  You could probably push it to 7.5A by swapping in a larger fuse for this one time, which would be 90W, which should be enough for most stuff.  Using a controller, you could safely limit the draw.

Then you don't need to do ANY wiring to the bike, at least not for this one trip...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
What color gray were the 2018 C-14s? Only having seen them in photos, they look quite a bit darker than the '19 and '20 silver is. How does it compare to the 2016 gray, lighter, darker or the same?

Found a new '18 but they want more than I can get a '19 for. That said, the '18's do have gloss paint in a reasonable color and I would prefer it to the later bikes' color. Unfortunately the dealer is in a lousy place regarding flying to or taking the train, and it is too far to drive out and back.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
My heated gear draws something like 150 watts or a hair more, if I use all of it.

That is a lot.  But not that surprising if you have sleeved heat and are including pants and gloves.  Mine is just a vest- no arms.  And remember, you won't need heated gloves on Gen2.  You might be able to limit the draw or shed the pants?

As much as I like PCM (and that is what I use), that type of controller won't limit draw, only total power over time.  So if that is the only regulator you have, it might not help much in this situation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »
What color gray were the 2018 C-14s? Only having seen them in photos, they look quite a bit darker than the '19 and '20 silver is. How does it compare to the 2016 gray, lighter, darker or the same?

They are dark, dark grey based on what I understand and have seen.  Almost like black that faded a bit in the sun.  About a million miles away from silver.  I have not actually seen one in person though (and it is unlikely anyone here has, since it is just one single year).

Here is probably one of the better photos, where you can see the contrast with the actual black tires. 

https://cdn1.cycletrader.com/v1/media/5f81e9934388dc7b2332cfe5.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70&bestfit=true&upsize=true&blurBackground=true&blurValue=100

Found a new '18 but they want more than I can get a '19 for. That said, the '18's do have gloss paint in a reasonable color

Reasonable if you like black.  If you don't like black (and I certainly do not) then it will be a problem.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2020, 08:03:52 PM »
Yeah, I think it is closer to 175 and is a jacket liner, pants (not liners), gloves and socks or sole inserts (I have both but never use them together).

And yes, I am using the standard PWM controller so it does draw full power but turns it off for a portion of the cycle, which appears to be about one second. Not short enough to average across a fuse though.

Thanks for the link and yep, that is really dark. Not a problem though as I am not all that sensitive to color as long as they are not outrageous like the green on the '15's. I really like the gray on the '16. I am still thinking about that bike and would grab it except it is used- that in itself is no matter but 3 or 4 years have been chewed up on the potential warranty. But it does have Michelin PRX's (not sure which version) and the Kawasaki top box which is the best looking version I have seen yet. Also the upgraded comfort saddle which is as- new and could be sold for some amount of money.

Still looking around, still chewing on available choices found so far.

Brian

That is a lot.  But not that surprising if you have sleeved heat and are including pants and gloves.  Mine is just a vest- no arms.  And remember, you won't need heated gloves on Gen2.  You might be able to limit the draw or shed the pants?

As much as I like PCM (and that is what I use), that type of controller won't limit draw, only total power over time.  So if that is the only regulator you have, it might not help much in this situation.

They are dark, dark grey based on what I understand and have seen.  Almost like black that faded a bit in the sun.  About a million miles away from silver.  I have not actually seen one in person though (and it is unlikely anyone here has, since it is just one single year).

Here is probably one of the better photos, where you can see the contrast with the actual black tires. 

https://cdn1.cycletrader.com/v1/media/5f81e9934388dc7b2332cfe5.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70&bestfit=true&upsize=true&blurBackground=true&blurValue=100

Reasonable if you like black.  If you don't like black (and I certainly do not) then it will be a problem.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2020, 06:03:44 AM »
Well now this might be a bit of a game- changer: it is snowing outside. Not likely to build up on the roads but it is only 35 outside and I would not ride under these conditions. Makes it a bit scary thinking about bringing a bike home from any distance, even if I started off in the sunny south.  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »
Definitely that time of year when the weather starts changing but a bit early for snow..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
Well now this might be a bit of a game- changer: it is snowing outside.

Wow.
Here, yesterday, it was freaking 81F!  And then I woke up to low 50's.  So some front must have moved through.  But the idea of snow right now is pretty amazing.

Not likely to build up on the roads but it is only 35 outside and I would not ride under these conditions.
I would NEVER ride through any frozen or potentially frozen precipitation.  Of course, it could be a fluke, and you could plan your trip with weather checking in mind, in advance.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
Definitely wouldn't do it on my Indian...I fall down and go boom too many times as it is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »
I am a considerably way north of you. Snow this heavy at maybe 3" and sub- freezing temps. during the day is unusual but not unheard of.

Planning the days to ride is great until I find myself in NJ or TX and start on the way home. I would have to plan the trip some days in advance so just cannot predict the weather with any certainty this late in the year. My fear is that it would close in south of me (where I live) with precipitation and cold temps and I would be stuck on the outer edge of this weather. Several days in a hotel, being bored to death, would eat a lot of any savings on the price of the bike in the first place.

Another option would be to use a trailer; I have one that would do and a friend of mine offered me his, which is a true motorcycle trailer and would be perfect for transport. It is an open trailer but still, it would be a safe and reliable way to move a bike. Of course dragging that thing to TX and back would again trim off some savings to be sure.

As I said before, is it not great to have first- world problems? There are some on this planet concerned for their safety and survival while I am pondering the best value and color of a new toy. I am truly grateful for my situation so please indulge my little bit of whining- I fully understand just how important this is on a scale of all things.

Wow.
Here, yesterday, it was freaking 81F!  And then I woke up to low 50's.  So some front must have moved through.  But the idea of snow right now is pretty amazing.
I would NEVER ride through any frozen or potentially frozen precipitation.  Of course, it could be a fluke, and you could plan your trip with weather checking in mind, in advance.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2020, 09:09:34 PM »
Do a fly and ride with the trailer on standby if the weather turns to crap.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »
Do a fly and ride with the trailer on standby if the weather turns to crap.

How's that gonna work?   ???

Andrea hooks up the trailer and comes to rescue him?

If my legs weren't so short I'd pick up the bike for him and ride it to his son's house and he could trailer there
to pick it up and buy me a ticket on Spirit to get me home. But I'm not risking someone else's brand new bike without tip over protection
to my skinny stumpy legs.

Sometimes these first world problems are as tough to figure out as the third world problems.

Maybe if the dealer has one still in a crate it might be best to just ship it and let Brian do his own dealer prep. He is certainly qualified and would probably enjoy it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »
Wow, thanks for the kind thought of the offer. Seriously, I know you mean it and I do appreciate it!

I am really having a hard time plunking down cash for an item unseen and untried, at least in the very cursory sense of hearing it run. No need to ride a new bike but I would like to see it to check for shipping damage as well as start it just for the quick check that 1) it starts- the odds are a million to one but I am just wary 2) It has all the obvious thing such as fobs, saddlebags, etc. and 3) really is what it is supposed to be. It is about $700 to ship a bike basically cross- country and if I was confident of NOT being surprised in some way, that is what I would do- buy it long distance and have it shipped. Of course I could travel (train or airplane) to the dealer, verify the bike and cement the deal and then fly back while shipping the bike but honestly by that time, I would have spent so much money on..... er, saving money that it would be pointless and foolish.

I plan on stopping by my local dealer one more time to see if I can nudge something loose: both the used '16 and new '20 are in contention with price being the last issue in the way. I doubt we can reach a deal but it is worth the shot, besides I absolutely despise hearing 'you should have said something, we could have worked on the price' after the deal has been cut somewhere else. In act, I always tell vendors to sharpen their pencil and make a 'best effort' now because we are moving forward on this and the only thing left in an open state is the choice of vendor.

At that point, I have several things I can choose from and they all come down to value vs. cost. There is a '19, new, about 300 miles from me that I can have for $12,500. Ted's deal in the best one in price at $11,800 for a '19 and is about 2,200 miles away. Also a new '18 for the same $12,500 about 800 miles away and I like the color better than the '19 and '20's. 2021 models are now on dealer's floors and of course they can be had at any time, they simply cost more. But those I can buy locally without any hassle, and the color is OK though not great- I really do like the color the '16's have.

If the 2022 is a beautiful color, Mr. Elkhoof is going to kick me all over the place- somehow, we have identical taste in colors. Well, actually everything if I am honest.  ;) ::)

How's that gonna work?   ???

Andrea hooks up the trailer and comes to rescue him?

If my legs weren't so short I'd pick up the bike for him and ride it to his son's house and he could trailer there
to pick it up and buy me a ticket on Spirit to get me home. But I'm not risking someone else's brand new bike without tip over protection
to my skinny stumpy legs.

Sometimes these first world problems are as tough to figure out as the third world problems.

Maybe if the dealer has one still in a crate it might be best to just ship it and let Brian do his own dealer prep. He is certainly qualified and would probably enjoy it.