Author Topic: Givi mounting  (Read 7571 times)

Offline vannooch

Givi mounting
« on: October 20, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
I am looking for mounts to mount Givi E360 side cases and Givi E370 top case to my 05 Connie, anyone have any suggestions?
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Givi mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
Here you go:

http://www.happy-trail.com/Departments/bMake-Model-Specificb/Kawasaki/Concours-ZG1000-(86-06).aspx

http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma=KAWASAKI&mo=GTR-1000

When I bought my kits, I thought I recalled having to buy a separate metal plate/adapter specific for the bike plus the plastic mounting plate that the trunk box latches onto.  It appears my memory might be wrong - ?  It looks like the E128 kit includes all the stuff to mount the trunk, provided you have a Monokey series trunk.  Study the Givi website and check for yourself to be sure.  The Monolock series boxes all use a different mount.  Monokey series luggage is what you want.  That way they all latch onto the same mounts.  Givi is great stuff, I have an E460 trunk box that I swap between both bikes and a set of E21 side bags and a set of E36 side bags that I use on the Wee-strom.  Good stuff, but not cheap.  If I ever wreck my OEM Connie side bags, I'd definitely refit for being able to put my E36 side bags on it.  They are better in all respects, hold more and still sort of fit the OEM looks.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline vannooch

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
Here you go:

http://www.happy-trail.com/Departments/bMake-Model-Specificb/Kawasaki/Concours-ZG1000-(86-06).aspx

http://www.givi.it/My-motorcycle/?ma=KAWASAKI&mo=GTR-1000

When I bought my kits, I thought I recalled having to buy a separate metal plate/adapter specific for the bike plus the plastic mounting plate that the trunk box latches onto.  It appears my memory might be wrong - ?  It looks like the E128 kit includes all the stuff to mount the trunk, provided you have a Monokey series trunk.  Study the Givi website and check for yourself to be sure.  The Monolock series boxes all use a different mount.  Monokey series luggage is what you want.  That way they all latch onto the same mounts.  Givi is great stuff, I have an E460 trunk box that I swap between both bikes and a set of E21 side bags and a set of E36 side bags that I use on the Wee-strom.  Good stuff, but not cheap.  If I ever wreck my OEM Connie side bags, I'd definitely refit for being able to put my E36 side bags on it.  They are better in all respects, hold more and still sort of fit the OEM looks.

Mine is a monokey E370 top case, it doesn't look like the same mounting plate. The one that I have on my ZZR has a three slot bar across the front thatthe three tabs on the front of the case slide into. I think that I am going to fab up something to use the sw motech mounts from my ZZR on and just change everything. The sw motech plates utilize 1/4 turn connect bolts.
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline udoggie

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
For my Givi topcase (on my C14) I used Phil's mounting bracket;

http://www.philsfarkels.com/

I originally ordered the Givi bracket for the C14, but after realizing that it would be easier to disassemble a Boeing 747 engine blindfolded than to install the Givi bracket, I returned it and got the one from Phil.

Super easy to install, and works great on my V46.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »
Mine is a monokey E370 top case, it doesn't look like the same mounting plate. The one that I have on my ZZR has a three slot bar across the front thatthe three tabs on the front of the case slide into. I think that I am going to fab up something to use the sw motech mounts from my ZZR on and just change everything. The sw motech plates utilize 1/4 turn connect bolts.

You are correct - the Monolock plate will not suffice for a Monokey case. Unfortuantely hte Monokey is not nearly as common as the monolock.  If you can find a plate (the Philsfarkels doesnt load for me) I can recommend using Murph's rails to mount hte top case on the rear of the bike. They were designed for Shad but my Monokey plate bolted right on and I used soem washers under the rear mount to 'level' the case so it didnt slouch backwards. Took 10 minutes, been going strong for 4 yrs.
 You can almost see the rails in the pic...

05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline vannooch

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »
Nice looking ride!
I did find a mounting plate on ebay, I don't need the rails do I? What do they look like?
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
Here's a picture of someone else's bike that shows them.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline vannooch

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »
Aaaa..... now I see.
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
Aaaa..... now I see.

You dont technically NEED them - they are just the most simple and elegant solution to moutning the top box that I've come across. you CAN make your own, but if your time is worth anything - it's not worth it...  :chugbeer:

Seems I stacked 3 or 4   5/16 washers between the rail and the bike frame on the rear mount of each rail to get rid of the 'slouch' that occurs if you mount it direct. Just personal preference tho. 
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline vannooch

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:12:27 AM »
Ya, I can usderstand that forty bucks is fairly inexpensive for something that will take a day to fab up after the finishing time.
Nice bike by the way, it looks alot like mine in the summertime mode, love the color.
It has been in luxo tourer mode since I got the ZZR though. A little nicer for me and my Honey, that's why I want to be able to add the top case.
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline dvitous

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline vannooch

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
That is exactly what I am looking for, I did buy a plate to mount the top case, now for the sides. Is the mounting the same between the two sidecase models?
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
That is exactly what I am looking for, I did buy a plate to mount the top case, now for the sides. Is the mounting the same between the two sidecase models?

All of the Monoloc cases take the same mount. 

All of the Monokey cases take the same mount. 

The difference is between Monoloc and Monokey.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline vannooch

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 04:33:30 AM »
Thanks, I did find that the monokey and monolock were different. I was haing trouble grasping that the top case was a monolock while the side panniers were monokey. But my brain is working now. My panniers are monokey.
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline vannooch

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 05:11:52 AM »
Ya, I can usderstand that forty bucks is fairly inexpensive for something that will take a day to fab up after the finishing time.
Nice bike by the way, it looks alot like mine in the summertime mode, love the color.
It has been in luxo tourer mode since I got the ZZR though. A little nicer for me and my Honey, that's why I want to be able to add the top case.

Here is my top case mount, I plan to have an aluminum locking box made by a friend that will bolt to the rack under the rear cowl and up under the luggage rack that the case is mounted to as well. To date I haven't had any problems at all with it. I wanted the backrest higher for my Honey.
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200