Author Topic: addition to my c10  (Read 7226 times)

Offline UKFan

addition to my c10
« on: May 12, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
This is what I've been working on the last couple of weeks.

I had this "hack" on a Suzuki cruiser, but I just can't get comfortable with the sitting position of a cruiser.

Have a couple of minor issues to deal with.....am thinking of going to a car tire for the rear (have worn out a Pilot GT), and it's a little hard to steer.  Maybe wider bars or an Earles fork.

Bike has 40K miles and runs great.  Will consider putting the rest of the plastic on after I've given it some run time.

Comments/questions?

Offline MetrickMetal

• MetrickMetal Custom Motorcycle Parts
Re: addition to my c10
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
Although I don't see the purpose of a sidecar as I think it completely goes against the whole purpose of having a motorcycle IMHO, but If you like it that's all that matters. I do know that most people put a leading link front fork on their bike after installing a sidecar to improve stabilty and handling, so that maybe something you may want to look into doing, and there's lots of info on the internet about it.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:56:49 PM by MetrickMetal »
www.MetrickMetal.com custom motorcycle parts
Custom naked 07 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S/AK7
In the process of resurrecting an 02 C10

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
Although I don't see the purpose of a sidecar as I think it completely goes against the whole purpose of having a motorcycle IMHO....

Ever driven a hack? I can attest that it is a lot more akin to riding a bike than you think... Right hand turns can indeed be leaned over by "flying" the hack and left hand turns require a lot of body to be thrown off the bike in order to be taken at speed.... In other words while it just "looks" EZ whereas it is not and in fact it is quite a challenge to ride in a sporting mannor. Only thing is you don't have to put your foot down at stops....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline UKFan

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »
It was either this or go to a 3 wheeler...........didn't want to do that, too many other AARP members already on them!

Guru's over on the sidecar site think the Connie is too much bike for this car, but I can't give up the comfort of this bike.

By the way...............wife of 47 years really enjoys riding in it :).

Mike

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »
... Guru's over on the sidecar site think the Connie is too much bike for this car, but I can't give up the comfort of this bike.

How do they figure that? It makes more sence to me to have a powerful bike dragging a hack than an underpowered bike being drug around by a heavy hack. As long as you've got a good high speed tire on the hack and wheel bearing that can mantain the speed you should be good to good. Does that hack have a brake on the wheel?
Tony P. Crochet

enim57

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
Car tyre on the rear and leading link forks on the front seem to be the go here in Australia. A car steel belted radial lasts a lot longer too.

Regards, Russell

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:38:05 AM »
For tips on a car tire for the Connie rear (specifically size options), see this thread...
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=11378.0

The good news is you are across the pond, so tires in the appropriate size ranges should be much more readily available.  Such narrow car tires are a rarity here in the states, and can be rather hard to track down, or even special order, locally.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline UKFan

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Yes Tony.  It has a mechanical drum brake.

I can run 35 to 40 on a little back road, 50 to 65 on a 2 lane state road and not sure what on interstates.  Haven't tried that, and really not interested in trying.

Average rider can outdo me easily, but so what.  I cut the link between the throttle and my ego a long time ago.

I too don't understand why sidecar "experts" feel the bike is too big for this car.  It is a lighter weight car.  Could use some beef in the frame and a larger axle (15mm spindle).  And as far as I know, there is no requirement to run hard anyway.

Good luck to you 2 wheel guys, and don't forget to put the stand down before you let go.

Mike

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
Yes Tony.  It has a mechanical drum brake.

I can run 35 to 40 on a little back road, 50 to 65 on a 2 lane state road and not sure what on interstates.  Haven't tried that, and really not interested in trying.

Average rider can outdo me easily, but so what.  I cut the link between the throttle and my ego a long time ago.

I too don't understand why sidecar "experts" feel the bike is too big for this car.  It is a lighter weight car.  Could use some beef in the frame and a larger axle (15mm spindle).  And as far as I know, there is no requirement to run hard anyway.

Good luck to you 2 wheel guys, and don't forget to put the stand down before you let go.

Mike

My 02 Ural Tourist (sold last year) would top out at 67 MPH downhill and drafting the UPS truck.... Have been been riding sidecar off and on since the mid 80's; they still have a special place in my heart if not garage.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
Welcome aboard Mike.
Where in the UK are ya?
Hedingham sidecars sell the Unit Leading Link forks for the GTR1000 but cost £1200.  :yikes:
Hard steering could be due to incorrect toe-in on the chair but more likely down to the steering geometry which you will need the Leading Link forks to fix.
I'm not a huge fan either but can't deny there is a skill to riding an outfit and they sure can pucker you up if you get it wrong.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline UKFan

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
Boomer,

uk stands for University of Kentucky................not a small backward near island close to Europe ;D  (just pulling your chain)

Mike

Offline Tele130

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
Hey Mike,
  I have absolutely NO experience with a "Hack"........a.k.a. Sidecar.  But it looks like you've put some really nice work into it.  Sweet. :chugbeer: 

If I end up going that route, I'm just going to drop the coin for a Can-Am Spider.  Radial snow tires, a heated snowmobile suit, traction control and ABS should make for a year round ride..................until the salt rots it out. ::) ;D.

Keep up the good work. :thumbs:   BTW, are you going to color match the hack to the bike?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:29 AM »
Boomer,
uk stands for University of Kentucky................not a small backward near island close to Europe ;D  (just pulling your chain)
Mike
Backward???? Ok, some of it is pretty backward, but at least we ride on the correct side of the road.  :stirpot: <LOL>
If that is the case then you can get your leading link from Unit directly.
Still not cheap mind you. $2600  :yikes:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »
My wife tells me she wants a Sidecar every time she see's one.
Not often... as there ar e not mant out there.

But she's interested primarily for the novelty of it. I understand riding a bike with one attached takes special skill.

Your work looks good!
Now, where are you located?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline UKFan

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »
Boomer,

Have visited a couple of times.  You guys coming around the corner on the "wrong" side of the road about scared me into a "personal" accident the first time or two. :P  Have to say tho...had a good time while there.

Connie Rider,

Novelty?  Yeah I guess so.  Just didn't want to be like the rest of the old farts on a tricycle.

Located in Northern Ky.  Been on here for several years, just don't post much.

Mike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »
Mike, you must live near Murph?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline UKFan

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
Ted,

150 to 200 miles..........just a quick morning run to Murphs'

Have a question for the group

What's the max size car tire I can put on the rear while keeping the 16 inch wheel?  Anybody know?

thanks,

Mike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
I don't have an answer for that, but can do a search on both Forums I'm sure that you will find a discussion.
I do recall seeing that Info but don't recall where?
I do recall that the size tire you need is a special size. (Available, but not commonly used)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline John Mc

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »
Where did you get the links to connect to a connie?  Heck, where would they connect?
Regards,
John Mc

Offline UKFan

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
John,

Sorry I didn't get back to you.  Haven't been on for awhile.

Made all the mounts myself.  Triangle at the top front mounted to the frame and upper engine mount, lower front is a sub-frame from the lower engine and radiator across to the left side, lower rear is a shortened center stand welded in place , and the upper rear is a triangular mount between the rear foot peg bolts and the upper rear frame under the seat.

Additional........the car has now been removed..............permanently!   Scared the beegezus out of me the other day!   Went into a right hand corner, which turned out to be a decreasing radius, at too high a rate.  Between trying to keep the sidecar tire down, trying to slow and trying not to scare my wife too much, I wound up across a double yellow.  Would have been really bad if there had been on-coming traffic.  Really bad situation!!!

Not going to put my wife at risk like that again.

Mike