Author Topic: Old Langskip coming to life...  (Read 9309 times)

Offline VkRavens

• V.F.F.V
Old Langskip coming to life...
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Hi all my new 88 GTR is almost ready...i bought her in final january and since then the process of bring her back to the road began, today was the first test ride and tomorrow she will be back on the road...how what a surprise this bike is for me...never thought that engine will be like this. It's perfect  :)

I will let were the link for my google album where you can check some pics that i take during the process and a short video after the carbs are tunned.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102586692592850177872/albums/5975153411717057793

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202444832014585&set=vb.1007595805&type=2&theater
RESPECT is the word ....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Old Langskip coming to life...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
Nice pics and nice workshop.

Old Langskip....?   :chugbeer:

Offline VkRavens

• V.F.F.V
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »
Nice pics and nice workshop.

Old Langskip....?   :chugbeer:

Thanks gPink ... yes Old Langskip ... because I'm the founder of a Club call VIKING RAVENS ;-) that's why I choose this nickname for her  8)
RESPECT is the word ....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
In the pictures I noticed the newer style cam chain tensioner (CCT).  I'm not sure of the year they switched the tensioning parts but think it was at least a few years after '88.  Do you know if someone changed the chain guides and put the new style CCT in there?  The old style was a twisting plunger with a mushroom end and the new style is a ratchet type as you have pictured.  As far as I have read the CCTs are not compatible with the different guide.  You can't just "upgrade" to the newer one (although some of us consider it a down-grade).

Just concerned for you, that's all.  If it sounds right, you're probably good.  Maybe someone else will verify this for me.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VkRavens

• V.F.F.V
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
In the pictures I noticed the newer style cam chain tensioner (CCT).  I'm not sure of the year they switched the tensioning parts but think it was at least a few years after '88.  Do you know if someone changed the chain guides and put the new style CCT in there?  The old style was a twisting plunger with a mushroom end and the new style is a ratchet type as you have pictured.  As far as I have read the CCTs are not compatible with the different guide.  You can't just "upgrade" to the newer one (although some of us consider it a down-grade).

Just concerned for you, that's all.  If it sounds right, you're probably good.  Maybe someone else will verify this for me.

already thanks for the concern and warning. As you can see in the photos the tensioner was reinforced with a sleeve because the problem is that the tensioner is made of aluminum and the bumps eventually crack, now there is no such danger. All the preparation of my bike was taken by a friend of mine who is a mechanic and already has many years of experience, and know this engine well as had a 1000RX among other Kawas of these years. Was completed today and the engine became a spectacle, was a huge surprise to me that I never imagined that this engine was at this level. Sure was tuned by a master who raised him to another level.
RESPECT is the word ....

Offline VkRavens

• V.F.F.V
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »

she's back on the road  :) it's a great surprise for me and I'm loving it ever bit  8)

I fill up the gas tank at 49K and now i will see how the fuel consumption is... just one number, riding at 120 km/h she makes 4000 rpm...what did you think about this ??
RESPECT is the word ....

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Bike looks very good.
You did a good job.
The rpms seem low to me for that speed.
But, I am not used to KPH and will have to do some checking.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 05:36:17 AM »
I'm not good at those either, and yes, that bike looks great!  As long as you are in 6th gear going down the highway and nothing is slipping, the rpms are correct (and most-likely nothing is slipping).  This engine likes the higher rpms to stay smooth and have the HP.  Most new riders to this bike are at first concerned about the rpms until they realize it is normal.  It kind of keeps you near the HP and TQ increase area with a quick twist of the throttle and a gear drop.  There's a Ninja trapped in there!

Oh yeah, watch out for the top-heavyness of this bike.  She will want to take you down in a heartbeat if you do something wrong at a walking speed.  Most mistakes occur while parking or moving it in the garage - BEWARE!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:49:48 AM »
+1 on the top heavy. The CDA column for not there just for looks. Hope to not see you in it. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
Rpm vs Speed is correct.
It may seem a little high and because of that you will often be trying to find 7th gear. <LOL>

Welcome to the GTR1000. At 49,000Km it is nearly new, although already 26 years old.  8)

Mine is a 1989 with 176,000 miles (281,000Km) and still starts well and runs Ok.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VkRavens

• V.F.F.V
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi all, sorry for the long absence, but you now summer time is on the road...now still on the road everyday but with rain, so I have a little more time to stay at home in the night  ;D

Well from my last post there was nothing wrong with this fantastic peace of art ... only put a new battery and change a bad OEM part for a new handmade one  8) and add almost 10k on it  8)

I'll let some pics from the last months... Regards and see you on the road.

RESPECT is the word ....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
Very pretty machine,  is that new plug made from Brass?
It looks cool, but I don't recommend using anything brass that threads into aluminum, the galvanic response between the disimilar metals will virtually eat the threads, and you may end up needing to replace the housing in short order... just a warning...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
MOB, I haven't thought about tis in a while, and your an engineer.
But, the original caps were aluminum.
I would think the galvanic corrosion would be more with aluminum and less if he uses brass?
Plus, the threads are below the O ring and will have oil on them...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
This helps explain it...

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

It's potentially bad over a period of time (especially with road salt).

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
Not much potential there for a voltage difference (pun intended). This is really only a problem in a natural environment when metals are in direct contact and with an ionic solution.... the most common one of those being salt water. Yep, ocean water absolutely eats dissimilar metals, with the more reactionary losing every single time.

But not much of a problem on a road vehicle that is not sitting in the ocean. Or at least not for a LONG time :-)

Brian

This helps explain it...

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

It's potentially bad over a period of time (especially with road salt).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
ok..
try this rationalization..
I ride often in the rain. Also on wet roads.
Byproducts of automobile exhaust on city streets, virtually bathes everything with acidic residue.
Sea water wasn't what i was hinting at.

jmho/ymmv

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 05:18:58 AM »
Sea water wasn't what i was hinting at.

Me either.  But that plug sure looks nice.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 07:47:47 AM »
Ok, I think we're over evaluating these.
It ain't gonna be a problem!
If he polishes/and seals the outer portion of his plugs with clear paint,,,, it will be fine.
If he polishes/and doesn't seal the outer portion of his plugs with clear paint,,,, he'll have to polish it regularly to keep it shiny..

Explanation:
I have a 1912 Model T Ford. (The early T's are generally referred to as a Brass T because of all the brass they have on them).

Mine has brass headlights, radiator, windshield frame, running lights, tail light, steering when, horn, hub caps, etc etc etc...
It' is now 102 years old and the brass (which is mostly thin brass sheet) has not corroded away.
The brass corrodes, not the steel it is attached to...

Now, I admit it's a real PITA polishing all of that brass when we take it out,,, but it ain't a big corrosion problem for the overall car...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:10:53 AM by connie_rider »

Offline VkRavens

• V.F.F.V
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Hi  :) thanks for all the replies.. I not a guy that understand much about mechanic or engineering, I trust 100% on my old friend and mechanic, this part was handmade by a another old friend with lots of experience on fabrication and the brass used is for aeronautic parts, so I think is top quality. Well for now is still all in good shape, done the regular maintenance last week and it's all ok and without signs of problems. Also put new front tire - Battlax T30  8)

More I ride it the more I like it...Fantastic Bike  ;D
RESPECT is the word ....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
Nothing wrong with shiny brass bits.....    :)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010