Author Topic: Let's see your dog  (Read 30860 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Let's see your dog
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2016, 04:43:08 AM »
Sad to say Cody passed on the 4th of July.  We went to Myrtle Beach to pick him up to bury him in the back yard with all of his other siblings here in VA.  He was born on on Christmas Eve of 1999 and died in the afternoon of July 4th 2016.  Interesting it was such special dates.  I kind of knew it was coming that day.  We're not as sad anymore - we know he had a long and healthy life.  Mom is doing better and already thinking of getting another companion.  I still see shadows in the corner and think I see him out of the corner of my eye.  I've even called for him coming into mom's front door a few days after he was gone - twice.  Our cat Theo is even older.  When he goes, I think we are done with having pets, grand-kids are enough.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:58 AM »
I still see shadows in the corner and think I see him out of the corner of my eye.  I've even called for him coming into mom's front door a few days after he was gone - twice.  Our cat Theo is even older. 

Sorry to hear.  I have had cats all my life, so I have had to deal with losing pets, too (3 so far, at ages 19, 6, and then 15).  With each, like you, I kept seeing them in the shadows and in the corner of my eye for months.  A few times I could swear I heard him/her.  In some ways it was very disturbing, but in others, reassuring.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »
Sorry to hear.  I have had cats all my life, so I have had to deal with losing pets, too (3 so far, at ages 19, 6, and then 15).  With each, like you, I kept seeing them in the shadows and in the corner of my eye for months.  A few times I could swear I heard him/her.  In some ways it was very disturbing, but in others, reassuring.

Pets ask for so little and give so much in return... We had a wonderful cat who died at the age of 19 who loved to play in the bed while you tried to change the sheets... Fast forward many years and for the strangest reason our 11 year old dog has recently decided she likes to play the exact same game...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »
Did the dog know the cat?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
Did the dog know the cat?

Nope...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
Mia, our Wiener dog, loves to play "here comes the blancky" when the wife is changing sheets, too. Always has, ever since a puppy.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

Saying goodbye to my best little buddy, Sookie.
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
A light has gone out in my life and the world is a darker place for it.

We had to have my lil sweetheart, my buddy and perpetual puppy, Sookie, euthanized Sunday night. It was one of the hardest things that we've ever had to do. She was only 8.

She was diagnosed with a autoimmune disorder that attacks the red blood cells and in her case the white blood cells as well. Possibly a rare form called Evans syndrome.

We had just arrived at home after a 5 hour drive after a weekend long camping trip. Sookie was fine then and the entire weekend. The only issue with her was something that my wife noticed when we got to our campsite Thursday night. Sookie had some red blotches on her belly. They didn't seem to bother her and she was acting normal. I googled it and found some pics that looked like what she had. It was either from the sun or grass gnat bites. Ok, nothing serious.

Once we got home things changed in a big hurry. After I let the three dogs outside I noticed a red puddle on the floor. It seemed to be urine with a bit of blood in it. Then wife found another puddle on the rug near the door. It was very dark red blood. I didn't know which dog it came from so I went outside to see who it was. I checked Sookie first and my heart sank. She had blood all over her vagina and the backs of her legs.

This happened around 6:30 Sunday night and the only vet open in this area at that time was the emergency vet about 40 mins away (they're only open after hours and weekends). I called them and told them that we were on the way. Once we got there they took a quick look at Sookie and took her back for bloodwork. I was hoping that it was just a serious bladder infection or something treatable like that. When the vet came back with the test results the news was as bad as it can get. The prognosis grave. Her platelet count was near zero and she was bleeding internally. Her red count was also very low.

The vet injected the overdose of anesthetic into her IV line. Her leg twitched once (that twitch haunts me) and Sookie died on my lap while my wife and I held her. All that life and vitality all that joy and happiness gone in the space of a few heartbeats. 

I miss that little dog something fierce.

We have 3 dogs. Bosco (black and tan smooth coat mini Dachshund) is the oldest at 8. Agnes (half long haired red mini Dachshund half Yorkie) 4 years old and Sookie (half long haired red mini Dachshund half Yorkie) 3 years old. This makes Agnes and Sookie Dorkies.

Agnes and Sookie are sisters, same mom and dad, but one litter apart. Those two are rescues and inseparable. Sookie is a fetching fool and lives for it. She'll bring her ball back to you EVERY time and all you have to do is to put your hand out and she'll gently put the ball in your hand.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4384.0;attach=5166

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4384.0;attach=5168

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4384.0;attach=5170

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Oh man Conrad, I am so sorry.
I'm sure you gave Sookie the most amazing life.

-----------------

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
 All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
I'm so sorry, Conrad.. :'( :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
I am truly sorry to here about Sookie, Conrad.
I've had to do that with 4 others in past years & it is very emotional to say the least.  :'(
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »
Losing a pet is so hard.  Our best friend of 16 years was just put down last week.  She used to curl up next to my chair.  I still catch myself reaching down to pet her.....I feel your pain Conrad.  :'(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 03:56:03 PM »
I've got no words, Conrad.  :'(

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
There is no pain quite like grief. The harder we hurt, the more we loved.

Sincere condolences, Conrad.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Saying goodbye to my best little buddy, Sookie.
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »
My sincerest condolences Conrad. It is quite clear from your post that 'you are one of us' and do not see "pets" as animals but basically the better part of what humans could be. To all of us, losing a 'short member of the family' is impossible to describe. I have had two dogs in my life and had to put both down; the first when my kids were still fairly young, and it was absolutely an terrible phase of our lives. I could not shake the thought that in the end, the only thing the little fellls and gals count on is for us to basically keep them alive and each one of us will fail at that eventually. Normally I am not morbid that that thought followed me around for weeks... maybe months.

Funny thing I have found about pets is that they do not even have to be 'mine' to be a pet. My brother had a Doberman that was just a wonderful dog and he and I were the best of pals; I cannot imagine we would be any closer had he been my own pet.

So again, my deepest sympathies to you and your family on losing one of your own.

On a slightly different note: we lost our last dog about 4 years ago and between riding and house work, we decided not to get any more pets for a while. But my wife is terrified that I am going to bring something furry home and we both know she will just not have it in her to reject the animal.... and I will not have to do a thing, just ask if she wants me to take it away, at which point it will live here forever. :-)  So far I have not nor do I intend to do so but just maybe one day, that certain mutt will cross my path, need a home and be sleeping in our bed about a week after establishing all the rules that prohibit that very thing.

You are a good man Conrad; schmucks do not agonize over the loss of any animal (and a lot of people) in my experience.

Brian (who thinks most of my very favorite people are dogs....)

A light has gone out in my life and the world is a darker place for it.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2017, 01:36:51 AM »
I lost my Barty McFarty over 18 months and it was a huge hit.

Just over a month ago this little girl adopted me and it's great to have another dog around again.  She is growing and learning fast...

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:52 AM »
I still haven't got over the loss of my Schnauzer who passed in 2005.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:03 AM »
Conrad I'm so sorry to read your message.

Losing a pet is an awful experience and one from which we pet lovers struggle to recover

Think of all the happy loving times you shared with your Sookie and the smile she put on your face at those times.

Pets give so much and ask for so little in return
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Conrad

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »
Thanks so much for the kind words guys, I do appreciate it.

Sookie was such a special lil dog. She was so loving and as I said, she was my buddy and was almost always at my side. She was always curious to see that I was doing. If I was working on something she was right there, checking out what I was doing. Most times if I was busy with something and she wanted to play (which was 95% of the time) she'd place her ball right in the middle of whatever I was working on and want me to throw it for her. If I was filling or empting the dishwasher, her ball would be on the dishwasher door and she'd be looking at me waiting for the throw. If I took too long, she'd let me know.

We have two other dogs and one of them, Agnes, is Sookie's sister. Agnes has been besides herself, looking everywhere for Sookie and laying in Sookie's bed. It's heartbreaking.

The house is so quiet now. Sookie was the cheerleader of the three and they fed off of her energy.

It'll take me a long time to get over the loss of this lil dog. When I think of not ever seeing her again, I catch my breath for a moment. It's hard to explain but from the kind words I've read here I know that you guys know what I'm feeling. Thanks for that.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
after about 15 or so years since my last dog I'm just going through the final phases of adopting this great big shaggy rug :)

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/liv~~giant~~~n~/1157372/winston
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline O.C.

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2017, 05:03:45 AM »
he looks great Mikey and full of character  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650