Author Topic: No more Beep Beep beeep  (Read 1132 times)

Offline kzz1king

No more Beep Beep beeep
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »
This summer both horns started to beep by themselves sporadically.It is an aftermarket hooked into a relay. They eventually quite working completely. The PO has lots of relays in there so today I dug in and found the one for the horns. My hope was that the relay was toast. Not to be.

I am not very good at reading wiring diagrams so bear with me.

If I ground out the relay the aftermarket horn works but the factory does not.

I have 12 volts to the factory horn.

My assumption is that the horn is switched by ground? If that is correct I am assuming the ground  wire between the switch and horn  is broke. Assuming that is the case where do I start? Dont want to tear things up to bad!

Wayne

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: No more Beep Beep beeep
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »
Did you change the relay out? A lot of time the relays stick when they are going bad. Try tapping the relay while pushing the horn button. If that works, change the relay.

Also, clean and tighten your grounds. If that doesn’t work, it is most likely your horn button, assuming the relay is good and correctly installed. I haven’t had the C14 switch housing apart. Not sure if you can clean the contacts on the switch or if it would have to be replaced.

You could always bypass the relay by disconnecting it and touching the connections together. Since you know you have power at the stock horn, I’m assuming you at least have a test light. Do you have power going into the relay from the stock horn? From the battery for the aftermarket horn? Do you have power going out of the relay on both sides when the horn button is pressed?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »
I probaley underrated myself as far as electrical knowledge. I cannot read schematics well though.

The relay will fire if I connect a ground to trigger it. I also wired it into a battery and it works well.

There is power to the stock horn when you turn the key on. I hooked the meter to the hot wire and then to the horn ground plug and got nothing with the switch depressed or not.

I am almost positive the stock horn is switched by ground. It is most likely a bad switch I am thinking but want to gather some info before digging into it.  Could be a broken wire I guess but leaning towards the switch.

Thanks

Wayne

ou could always bypass the relay by disconnecting it and touching the connections together. Since you know you have power at the stock horn, I’m assuming you at least have a test light. Do you have power going into the relay from the stock horn? From the battery for the aftermarket horn? Do you have power going out of the relay on both sides when the horn button is pressed?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »
First, make sure the relay is connected correctly, then systematically follow the circuit into and out of each component. Connecting your meter to both the positive and negative post of the same component is not going to cause it to work. Use the frame or something as a ground.

Also, just because the relay tripped when you connected it directly to the battery doesn’t necessarily mean it is tripping when connected to the the stock horn circuit. If you haven’t changed the relay, start there. The relay that comes with a lot of aftermarket horns like the Stebel are known to fail in a relatively short time frame. If the relay is not connected correctly, it could cause the same issues you are having.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
The relay is good, might replace it anyhow

Pulled the horn switch and it is good also. However there is no continuity between the switch and the horn. I could just run a new wire but am concerned why other broke or wore through.  More digging
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1